Codding

Bunny Bunyan

Reaction score
I keep seeing references to "codding" in various fishing magazines
and they don't mean Sea Fishing. What is it?

chav professor

Reaction score
Rods on tripods, tips high in the air and heavy feeders to hold bottom. Its a method that is used on either big powerful rivers like the Trent, or fishing in heavy flood..... I think.....

Bunny Bunyan

Reaction score
Thank you ****y That article was what prompted the query!
I think also that Chav has the right answer also .
Thanks chaps for putting me out of my misery!

sam vimes

Reaction score
For reasons best known to himself, Stef Horak in Coarse Angling Today constantly refers to barbel fishing as 'codding'....

As I rarely read any of the magazines and I've never seen it on line, I'd never heard that before. Is there any explanation as to why? Is it just a spectacularly unfunny private jest?:confused:

robthomo

Reaction score
I think Stef's description refers to a totally unsubtle method of catching barbel, kind of apt I suppose, As for carbelling that's been bandied about for donkeys years so don't blame Lee!

robthomo

Reaction score
But I should add that Creaming is the most dangerous one to admit to, I've only publicly spoken about that once before, never again... :eek:

bigchub

Reaction score
I always thought Stef's reference to '"codding" was meant solely in terms of the amount of lead used to hold bottom. Think I remember him saying just keep pieing it on until it holds bottom in the flow even if if meant 3, 4, or even 5oz!