Decent tackle suggestions for kids

di wolfio

Reaction score
Evening all

First post and all that....

Wondered if theres any good suggestions for good place to start with regards to getting my 8 year old boy set up with the right gear please?

I have got a few old bits and pieces that I have dug out of the garage that will do me, just want to get him off on the right foot

He has been with me twice the last two weekends and is well and truly hooked

Cheers for any replies

Reaction score
Welcome to FM wolfio,

I started my lads with a short pole/whip so they could catch small stuff to hand. They're both in their 20's now...fish occasionally...borrowing my tackle(even though they still have some of their old gear)...little has changed in 20 years!! Be warned :rolleyes:

bluwe

Reaction score
Got my 5 year old into it at the beginning of summer and he's well and truly hooked. In terms of tackle I got him a 9ft Carbolino quiver tip rod and a Drennan red reel, which together cost 45 quid. In hindsight I'd have gone for more of an Avon type rod with a stiffer tip for float fishing. Float is the only method we've used because I think it's important to get the hang of float fishing on light tackle first - I know that's how my old man taught me on the canal.

Anyway, the rod is great as is the reel which I think is excellent for the price. That said, if you're not in a rush, shop around for some second hand gear which can be very reasonably priced.

I did buy a 6 quid reel at the time (Linefaffe?) but it feels pretty poor so that level of kit might be a false economy.

I must say it's been great going fishing with my son this summer and I think we're closer for it which is a significant added bonus!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
If i was kitting out from scratch the second-hand route is the way i would go for high quality at bargain prices (if it is still in great nick), but having said that much of the cheaper new stuff isnt as cheap and nasty as it used to be..

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Keep in mind the new stuff from Korum 'Club Korum' Part of their i love fishing campaign and specifically designed for young people.

There are 3 kits: Waggler, Ledger and pole. Pretty much comes with everything you need bar a landing net. It's quality gear too.

di wolfio

Reaction score
Cheers Gents, much appreciated

Got to say it was great dusting off the old Normark float rod and abu 506, they hadn't seen the light of day for quite some time!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Gents, much appreciated

Got to say it was great dusting off the old Normark float rod and abu 506, they hadn't seen the light of day for quite some time!

I often use my old Normarks and 506's too, and they still catch a lot of fish.

For the youngsters though, I'd take Will's suggestion and go for the Korum range, alternatively get a short whip and let them catch fish 'to hand' for starters

Terry D

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time coaching kids and you'd be surprised at how easily they can handle a 13ft float rod, so please start him off with one that's a decent length and will allow him to fish almost any type of water. Mind you, I always begin with a 4m whip to get the hang of plumbing and waggler rigs - an ideal way to start 'em off.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
My son uses a 10 ft rod and and old reel of mine - he's ahd carp up to 8:2 on a it with 6lb main line - a thought the shorteer rod a best place to start and once he's confident let him use a longer rod

guest61

Reaction score
Evening all
First post and all that....
Wondered if theres any good suggestions for good place to start with regards to getting my 8 year old boy set up with the right gear please?
I have got a few old bits and pieces that I have dug out of the garage that will do me, just want to get him off on the right foot
He has been with me twice the last two weekends and is well and truly hooked
Cheers for any replies

Good to hear that you boy enjoys it.

What type of venues are you going to? There's a lot of reasonably priced gear around to suit all styles. I started my girl out with a 3m whip thereby avoiding the complication of casting, which I bought elasticated for £20 - it was just a case of rigging it to suit the situation. She didn't run with fishing but we had some good times together.

I'd do the same thing again - go into a tackle shop when its quiet and put together the basics using their advice and build on from there.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Keep in mind the new stuff from Korum 'Club Korum' Part of their i love fishing campaign and specifically designed for young people.

There are 3 kits: Waggler, Ledger and pole. Pretty much comes with everything you need bar a landing net. It's quality gear too.

Echo that. I bought my Grandson the Pole Kit, excellent build quality and well worth the money. The carbon is not thin and will withstand the vice like grip of a 6 year old. It's a take apart pole that can be obviously used at different lengths. He loved it and caught as well.

frederico

Reaction score
I started off with lots of my granddads old gear, I have a 13 foot float rod and a barbel rod, which can double up as a heavy float rod for bigger fish in snaggy areas. I also had a reel for each as well as lots of ledger and float tackle. I know it isn't common to start fishing with loads of gear (and its all high quality stuff too, just out of date) but having all the different bits and bobs allowed me to excel in my angling progress and I learned very quickly, and in now fishing matches and regularly framing, I have built on this however and have adapted it to my style of fishing. But most importantly, buy the best quality gear you can because this will lead to more enjoyment in fishing, and will give young anglers a better chance of landing those 'monsters', that often become 'the one that got away'...

di wolfio

Reaction score
Cheers fellas

Looking to fish stillwaters only for the time being and perhaps a stretch of the roding that comes with the membership for the local club we've just joined.

I agree that you get what you pay for and second hand gear would make sense but I think that a new bit of kit (the korum float set looks brilliant value) would give him a massive buzz.

He can then have my old hand me downs if he keeps the sport up and I can get all new gear :w