Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Decent tackle suggestions for kids

Evening all

First post and all that....

Wondered if theres any good suggestions for good place to start with regards to getting my 8 year old boy set up with the right gear please?

I have got a few old bits and pieces that I have dug out of the garage that will do me, just want to get him off on the right foot

He has been with me twice the last two weekends and is well and truly hooked

Cheers for any replies

Default Re: Decent tackle suggestions for kids

Welcome to FM wolfio,

I started my lads with a short pole/whip so they could catch small stuff to hand. They're both in their 20's now...fish occasionally...borrowing my tackle(even though they still have some of their old gear)...little has changed in 20 years!! Be warned
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

Got my 5 year old into it at the beginning of summer and he's well and truly hooked. In terms of tackle I got him a 9ft Carbolino quiver tip rod and a Drennan red reel, which together cost 45 quid. In hindsight I'd have gone for more of an Avon type rod with a stiffer tip for float fishing. Float is the only method we've used because I think it's important to get the hang of float fishing on light tackle first - I know that's how my old man taught me on the canal.

Anyway, the rod is great as is the reel which I think is excellent for the price. That said, if you're not in a rush, shop around for some second hand gear which can be very reasonably priced.

I did buy a 6 quid reel at the time (Linefaffe?) but it feels pretty poor so that level of kit might be a false economy.

I must say it's been great going fishing with my son this summer and I think we're closer for it which is a significant added bonus!

If i was kitting out from scratch the second-hand route is the way i would go for high quality at bargain prices (if it is still in great nick), but having said that much of the cheaper new stuff isnt as cheap and nasty as it used to be..
    Real Ale Alliance

Keep in mind the new stuff from Korum 'Club Korum' Part of their i love fishing campaign and specifically designed for young people.

There are 3 kits: Waggler, Ledger and pole. Pretty much comes with everything you need bar a landing net. It's quality gear too.

6. Default Re: Decent tackle suggestions for kids

Cheers Gents, much appreciated

Got to say it was great dusting off the old Normark float rod and abu 506, they hadn't seen the light of day for quite some time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by di wolfio View Post
    Cheers Gents, much appreciated

Got to say it was great dusting off the old Normark float rod and abu 506, they hadn't seen the light of day for quite some time!
    I often use my old Normarks and 506's too, and they still catch a lot of fish.

For the youngsters though, I'd take Will's suggestion and go for the Korum range, alternatively get a short whip and let them catch fish 'to hand' for starters

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I spend a lot of time coaching kids and you'd be surprised at how easily they can handle a 13ft float rod, so please start him off with one that's a decent length and will allow him to fish almost any type of water. Mind you, I always begin with a 4m whip to get the hang of plumbing and waggler rigs - an ideal way to start 'em off.

My son uses a 10 ft rod and and old reel of mine - he's ahd carp up to 8:2 on a it with 6lb main line - a thought the shorteer rod a best place to start and once he's confident let him use a longer rod
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Quote Originally Posted by di wolfio View Post
    Evening all
    First post and all that....
    Wondered if theres any good suggestions for good place to start with regards to getting my 8 year old boy set up with the right gear please?
    I have got a few old bits and pieces that I have dug out of the garage that will do me, just want to get him off on the right foot
    He has been with me twice the last two weekends and is well and truly hooked
    Cheers for any replies
    Good to hear that you boy enjoys it.

What type of venues are you going to? There's a lot of reasonably priced gear around to suit all styles. I started my girl out with a 3m whip thereby avoiding the complication of casting, which I bought elasticated for £20 - it was just a case of rigging it to suit the situation. She didn't run with fishing but we had some good times together.

I'd do the same thing again - go into a tackle shop when its quiet and put together the basics using their advice and build on from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast