Does unused line/braid/fluro deteriorate with age?

Rich_309

Reaction score
I’ve not been fishing for a few years but am getting the rods out again for a weekend away with friends in a cottage on the Severn – can’t wait!

The line on my reels is the same line that’s been on there for a few years and has been used so that will be replaced.

I have some braid of various descriptions and some fluorocarbon (IQ if memory serves me correct) that have not been used.

They are still on the spool, I think the fluro may still be in the plastic outer packaging. They have been stored in my tackle box inside my fishing bag all of that time, the bag is kept in a dry garage that is attached to the house so no issues with damp or anything like that.

My question is will those hook length materials have deteriorated at all and will they be safe to use still?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
They should be fine. Braid is pretty much deterioration proof and fluoro is a lot less sensitive to uv than mono. Given that the fluoro's been kept in a dark place it will be O.K

guest61

Reaction score
Its a pain, but buy some new line and hooklength material(s) - I tend to replace line on a scale of usage, other than this every season. I believe exposure to sunlight will break the stuff down weakening it signicantly having it coiled on the spool of a reel will in time give it 'memory'.

This and the hook are key elements in success I wouldn't take the chance.

NB: The Severn has taken on a lot of water this week, are you 'tooled up' for this? Either way take care and tight lines.

Just seen Sean's post, he has more knowledge on braid and flouro - its up to you.

Welcome to FM btw.

Last edited:

agamemnon

Reaction score
im really tight fisted and have fluro carbon that is 10 yr old in my box and braid for hook links date back in some cases to the late 80's. 25m of braid seems to last for ever
i have been snapped up before by large fish and snags but it tends to be the main line that snaps before my hook link goes.
as to main line i tend to change that every 2-3 seasons depending on usage

Rich_309

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

As mentioned the line on the reels is definitely being replaced. I was just querying the hook link materials as if I need to replace the selection I have it’ll end up doubling the cost of the trip!

I’ll tie a few rigs and give them a bit of a test before I use any though.

I have seen the rivers up North a carrying a fair bit more water than normal. We don’t go for 2 weeks so I’m hoping it’ll drop by then.

I have 1lb tc rods that I would have preferred to have used but I think my old trusty 2 1/2lb Andy little new dimension carp rods will get an outing if it’s still high. I think they have softened up slightly over time so should be ideal I hope.

I will definitely need some heavier bombs and feeders though as I normally fish fairly light. I’m hoping 3 or 4oz bombs should do it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I was just querying the hook link materials as if I need to replace the selection I have it’ll end up doubling the cost of the trip! I’ll tie a few rigs and give them a bit of a test before I use any though.
Thats' the right thing to do. They should be fine if they have been kept in the dark and away from any fumes or allowed oxygenate. The braid is fireproof - well, not lierally, but you get my drift.

New mainline might be required as the old stuff may now have a set/memory and cause problems on casting etc. A friend used to leave his rods in his conservatory that got full sun in the afternoons and months later he'd go pike fishing without even retying the knots. You'd see half a mackerel flying out to the horizon with two trebles in it and a wire trace and nothing coming off the spool. I used to tell him, but he'd never listen a was always the first to criticise others...

Rich_309

Reaction score
I’ve now found a large spool of unused 15lb Big game still in the shrink wrap it was sold in, it’s been stored in the same way.

Is it worth risking using that?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I’ve now found a large spool of unused 15lb Big game still in the shrink wrap it was sold in, it’s been stored in the same way.

Is it worth risking using that?

Almost certainly. I just spooled up with some 12lb BG I've had for 10 years in a dark cupboard. It's as strong as the day I got it.

mick b

Reaction score
I still have some of the first braided Spectra/Dyneema line available to the general pubic, circa late 70s Cabelas (USA) Ripcord, I use it from time to time and it seems to be as good as it was when new.
I also have Seaguar fluro that is well over 14years old and this again is as good as it was when new.
Trilene Big Game will also last well over 10years if kept in the dark, and I have bulk spools of 10, 15, 20, 30 and 50 which I use for leader and rig making for the salt.

Keep all line in the dark, tie secure knots and test everything before you use it in anger is my advice.