Anyone braving it this weekend?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
With the Itchen out of sorts and rain and wind forecast tomorrow I probably won't brave it. Sunday however looks OK. I will fish a clubby on the canal (Aylesbury arm) on a pound which conveniently runs through a tree lined cutting so the wind shouldn't be a problem, but the leaves will be...

aebitim

Reaction score
With the Stour over the Morrisons carpark as well as the banks at Blandford I suspect its going to be Chesil for the whiting, frustrating but at least its a fish.

B

binka

Yep off to the Trent early tomorrow, we have a dry day forecast around here for Saturday but very wet for Sunday.

Expecting the river to be well up and know some nice slacks so it's the pike tackle again and a bag of smelly sardines :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nope, as things stand hopefully the Colne Wed or Thurs when it should have fined down somewhat - if the forecast is right.
Jerry

Bluenose

Reaction score
Am thinking of maybe fishing a local mere or the canal for roach or perch or the weaver for roach or chub, will see what the level is like tomorrow.

In other words 'Yes I'm going but I haven't got a clue where yet'

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
End of 'Season' Work Party then a few jars with the lads tomorrow. Am planning my Pike campaign but having to work for a living at the moment which is slowing things down a bit. Will get out over the next few weeks.

Stu

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking out of my window at the Hampshire Avon which is well over its banks makes me think more about comfort food, a few drinks and maybe the match this afternoon . . . . . . . .

Down in Salisbury the river is only just within the banks when I was down there early this morning.

So, nope, won't be fishing much until this lot subsides.

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Was going to have a wee dunk in the lake opposite the house [smug lucky bstard smilie :D] but pulled muscle in my back says no, despite the two pints of fresh maggots originally intended for the Lower Itchen, presently hiding in the bottom of the fridge*.

* that is until the other half finds the box hidden behind the cold cuts and evicts them.... :(

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might try the Leeds Liverpool canal tomorrow as the weather is not bad up here at the moment, although it might change tomorrow!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Club match on Sandford Lock Cut. Probably the only place fish able around Oxford

One thing about winter fishing on Canals Alan, they never flood and are usually well protected with cuttings and/or trees/ hedges...Also, most are teaming with nice Roach, Pike, Perch and Chub :)

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
This is on the Thames Mark on the Lock at Sandford. It fishes like a canal though. Last time we fished there when it was flooded all around us, I had 3 tench and a carp for 18lb!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is on the Thames Mark on the Lock at Sandford. It fishes like a canal though. Last time we fished there when it was flooded all around us, I had 3 tench and a carp for 18lb!

I think The L&L canal is a little to shallow for a carp that size mate! Poor thing would be showing its back most of the time :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just back from a stocking session, but that's likely to be the extent of my angling activity for a day or two. The curse of sciatica struck again at the end of the week. Luckily, I caught it early enough to get on top of it quickly. Tens machines work miracles for me.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

One thing about winter fishing on Canals Alan, they never flood and are usually well protected with cuttings and/or trees/ hedges.

BBC News - Grand Western Canal breach captured at Halberton, Devon;):p