Carp rods.

aebitim

Reaction score
Could somebody tell me what a spod rod does, I am thinking about a long range carp rod and wondering if a spod rod is a fishing or a casting rod?
Any particular make to go for? I could spend £100 second hand, and if it would double up as a floodwater barbel rod for the Wye so much the better.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A spod rod is for spodding. That's chucking a spod full of loose offerings over the area you intend to fish. It's simply a tool for baiting.

This is a spod. Spod rods are not intended for fishing, as such. They are often rated at around the 5lb TC mark, a tool for casting large weights rather than playing fish. However, I've heard of them being used as catfish rods.
I'd suggest that you don't use one for fishing for anything in the UK.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've just bought a spod rod for chucking spods and large Fox bait droppers out to where I'll be fishing. As Sam says it will double up as a catfish rod, or estuary / pier rod for that matter.

I would imagine that whilst it will chuck a carp bait, 3oz weight and PVA bag a long way, it would kill any fight in most carp. And you would have to increase your line strength to suit the bend, or lack of it, in the rod.

Greys do a 3.5lb test curve rod, the GT3, that would suit long distance carping much better than a spod rod. I've been using one for middling catfish and carp fishing in weedy swims. Great rod for the sort of money you are intending to spend.

tortoise100

Reaction score
What is it you actually want the rod to do ?
once you have tried a spomb you will not go back to a spod ever again no point .
I have the large and small size spomb and have a converted 2.5lb carp rod to chuck them out .the rod would have been a typical tippy carp carp rod but it has had the top 1ft removed so it has lost it's tippy action and is more of a poker seems to do me fine for the spomb with the right line combo .

Personally I don't like carp rods for actually fishing they take the pleasure out of playing smaller size fish.

It takes a lot of effort to track down truly through action rods even some pike rods are not as through action as they should be but if you try a 2.75 through action pike rod (mine are NGT specimen pike)against a typical carp rod mine are fox warrior there is no comparison the fox rod makes any fish under 8lb boring to bring it with ngt you can feel a proper fight and really bend into fish.
So in my opinion most typical carp rods would be fine for the smaller size spomb and even the large one at a push then you could use it as a normal rod as well you have to have the correct line though.

The cheap way to sort out a dedicated spod rod is to get hold of a beach caster job done if you need distance and power.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It takes a lot of effort to track down truly through action rods

It's an absolute doddle, just buy a set of late eighties/early nineties carp rods of no more than 2.5lb TC.;)

I'm pleased as punch that I had the foresight to keep hold of my Daiwa Powermesh from back then. I doubt I could buy similar actioned new rod without resorting to a full custom job.

aebitim

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it seems a spod rod is not going to be any good for barbel but may be ideal for wrasse so next step is to get out and look at a few.
I live on Portland home of the british wrasse record and we are coming into the season for the big ones. It may seem like overkill but at the moment I use a tournament beach rod and it is a bit heavy for rock hopping. p.b at the moment is 7lb 10oz.
I also am a big fan of the powermeshes.