Weighing your fish

broomy

Reaction score
My Ruben Heaton flyweight scales have been dumped. They never were much use, zero wandering and not accurate. When weighing a couple of kilo bags of pellets they were reading after being zeroed almost 0.5lb heavy.
Anybody got a suggestion for a a reasonable priced smallish weighing device.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Hi there
I was looking for a decent set of small scales myself recently... my larger Reubens for carp are too big to lug around on the rivers.
I vowed never to get a digital set, as most I've seen are not at all user friendly, but my mate had these and loves them. So I took the plunge and got a set.

DIGITAL SCALES 50KG WATER QUEEN

They are from the Rapala/Waterqueen stable... A branch they've called Carp Spirit here in France. But as you can see they are available in the UK.
They are about the same size as my old Avons,that got stolen a few years back. A bit deeper though. They take three AAA's that seem to last a fair time.
They are basic, but can be set to pounds or kilos. I like the fact that you can zero them quickly, just one press of a button.
I like the fact that they stabalise and hold the weight, so its not flicking all over the place like some digital scales or like all dial scales.
And they keep your last reading, until you zero again. This is useful if you want to note your catches. they switch off to save battery power after about 30 secs.
You can also switch between LB & KG after the reading has been registered. Good for me who likes (proper) pounds and my mates who all talk in kilos.

Cheers
Gareth

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Digital luggage scales from Robert Dyas about £15 weigh up to 100 pound or the equiveltant in kilo's very small graduations small pocket size.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it depends what you want the scales for, is it to weigh all your fish, or just those that are close to a record/ pb ?

If it's not for a record, then if you know the problem just deduct the error

andreagrispi

Reaction score
My Ruben Heaton flyweight scales have been dumped. They never were much use, zero wandering and not accurate. When weighing a couple of kilo bags of pellets they were reading after being zeroed almost 0.5lb heavy.
Anybody got a suggestion for a a reasonable priced smallish weighing device.

I use to fish a Stillwater for its chub - I remember comparing my avons to a set of Rubens. The Rubens weighed too heavy a good 5% on the avons.

I had a set of fox digitals but sold them on eBay as they definately cost me a double figure tench.

Go for a set of old avons - best in my experience.

peterjg

Reaction score
Go for the Avons. Digital scales are Ok for big carp but if you are being fussy then Avons are best. If you are a keen roach or perch angler then try to find the Avons that weigh to 8lbs but measure in clear 1/2 oz divisions - very good and very sought after.

Simon K

Reaction score
Digital scales are Ok for big carp .

Not true.

Some scales are very inaccurate. Some are slightly. Some are always accurate.

That goes for digital or analogue.

The general rule of thumb is always going to be, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

First off, if you want to find an accurate set, take a known weight with you and test the different scales on offer.

This isn't foolproof, but it might weed out some obvious rubbish.

Second, always tension the scales with a sling (or something with at least a few ounces weight), then zero.

As Records Officer for a specimen group, I use Salter Electro-Samson Digitals.

They weigh in 1/2 ounce divisions as well as grammes, require one battery which will last for several years average use (unlike Fox Digis), and they are always spot on. I test them twice a year at a scales shop a few doors down from my work.

They're light, compact, rugged and picked up for £35/45 new if you shop around. I've never had a problem with the display under any environmental conditions (e.g. snow, rain, ice, frost etc).

I wouldn't use anything else.
And many of the group now use them, too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not true.

Some scales are very inaccurate. Some are slightly. Some are always accurate.

That goes for digital or analogue.

The general rule of thumb is always going to be, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

First off, if you want to find an accurate set, take a known weight with you and test the different scales on offer.

This isn't foolproof, but it might weed out some obvious rubbish.

Second, always tension the scales with a sling (or something with at least a few ounces weight), then zero.

As Records Officer for a specimen group, I use Salter Electro-Samson Digitals.

They weigh in 1/2 ounce divisions as well as grammes, require one battery which will last for several years average use (unlike Fox Digis), and they are always spot on. I test them twice a year at a scales shop a few doors down from my work.

They're light, compact, rugged and picked up for £35/45 new if you shop around. I've never had a problem with the display under any environmental conditions (e.g. snow, rain, ice, frost etc).

I wouldn't use anything else.
And many of the group now use them, too.

Yes, top scales Simon but you really have to shop around - some outlets try to charge £80+
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
I have a set of Avons 40lb x 1 oz, they are fine. I have a set of digital Rapalas that weigh to 55lb, they are fine also.

I use the Avons in winter piking, and the Digitals in the summer carping and catfishing.

All down to personal preference.

dezza

Reaction score
I also have a set of 40 x 1 Avons which I have had for over 30 years.

I have had digital scales which became a real pain in the ass.

I suppose I'll have the Avons until the day I drop, they are very accurate.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
I also have a set of 40 x 1 Avons, however, they are now hard for me to read at night now the plastic window has quite a few scratches. Also after much use they now reflect my headlamp also making them hard to read.

I bought and couple of months ago a set of Salter Brecknell Electro Samson top quality Digital Scales. 10kg 22llb capacity. Bearing I mind I’m only fishing for Chub and Barbel.
So far they are great, no problem reading and very easy to zero with my weighing sling. In the past I’ve had trouble with digital scales going wonky in sub zero temps. So far that has not happened with my new ones I keep then wrapped up in my hand towel.
They cost me £43.50 from Amazon.

BTW I also keep my small digital camera on a cord around my neck whilst fishing in near or sub zero temps.

Whatever scales you buy, bear in mind that any accuracy given by the manufacture is a percentage of the max weight.

terry m

Reaction score
In my experience, analogue type scale - eg Avons - are not immune from inaccuracy, any set of scales can measure high or low.

The normal gripe regarding digital scales is the fact that the readout often swings up and down a few ounces making it difficult to get a ded accurate reading, especially so when weighing large fish. This is easily overcome by using a long weighing crook, whereupon a perfectly steady readout can be obtained.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also have a set of 40 x 1 Avons, however, they are now hard for me to read at night now the plastic window has quite a few scratches. Also after much use they now reflect my headlamp also making them hard to read.

That is a common problem on Avons, especially if the sticker in the middle of the perspex has come off, the glue gets in all the tiny scratches and makes a hell of a mess.

The answer is simple, 5 minutes elbow grease with a tin of Brasso and a yellow duster will have them gleaming like new. We used to use it for polishing the scratches out of Phantom jet fighter canopies and I refurbed all my old visors with it in my biker days.

I used to do the Avon lenses for a local tackle shop at a fiver a go, it started with one bloke and in the end I must have done 100 of them. When it tailed off to the odd one or two a month I let the lad who owned the shop into the secret.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
That is a common problem on Avons, especially if the sticker in the middle of the perspex has come off, the glue gets in all the tiny scratches and makes a hell of a mess.

The answer is simple, 5 minutes elbow grease with a tin of Brasso and a yellow duster will have them gleaming like new. We used to use it for polishing the scratches out of Phantom jet fighter canopies and I refurbed all my old visors with it in my biker days.

I used to do the Avon lenses for a local tackle shop at a fiver a go, it started with one bloke and in the end I must have done 100 of them. When it tailed off to the odd one or two a month I let the lad who owned the shop into the secret.

Thanks for the tip all I have to do now is find some Brasso. I remember my Mum using it when I was a kid, Our Lass might know, she's from way up north where they are still into horse brasses and brass plates etc.

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip all I have to do now is find some Brasso. I remember my Mum using it when I was a kid, Our Lass might know, she's from way up north where they are still into horse brasses and brass plates etc.

Still into brasses down in rural Suffolk:D I have a fireplace festooned with the things......lol