Waveney Chub Group

cg74

Reaction score
If a stretch of river suddenly gets subjected to heavy angling pressure it gets harder to catch!

In time they settle down, still remaining tougher than they once were but the fish are perfectly catchable. The best way to reap rewards is to share knowledge/experiences between two or three anglers.

rapidex

Reaction score
It is a great idea but like all things the more people involved the more chance of picking up what I call takers you get this in all groups some people just take and give very little back some give nothing useful at all it is a shame but it is true. I f you fancy cracking a river for whatever your better off with just two or three of you pooling your knowledge than sharing it with ten twenty or more in my experience anyway.

From speaking with Pete, (who formed the group) the idea to form the group was mainly to pool some of historical information in an online database, specific to the Waveney and to try and pull together some of the people who fish it to share ideas and photos…..There will always be lurkers, but I doubt it has any relevance to the Waveney as it is not a pressured water and to be honest if you are a local you know where the bigger fish are located (Bungay Common ;))! Maybe the main problem with the group was advertising it on this forum? I have always shared my knowledge of the Waveney with whoever I meet and to be honest have always received information in return, often leading to new waters.

Simon K

Reaction score
Well for an opinion on "big chub" you need to quantify what constitutes a big chub; big for a strech of river, big for a long length of river (4-5 miles+), big for a whole river, big by national standards....?

As all offer different criteria but I will state that a stretch/length of river that has a good spread of year classes is the easiest to read and understand (as best we every really know).

To spell it out for you:

I don't need to quantify anything. We are talking very specifically about the Waveney and its stock. That is what the thread is about? Or would you argue the toss on that one?

It's not a river I'm familiar with (other than Peter and Christian's reports), so my comments are "general" comments that can be applied across the board.
Such as "sounds like a good idea to me".

Is that clear enough?

Here are some quotes from my earlier posts that I hope will tie this up for you.
There can hardly be anything "cryptic" about them since you should have already read them within the context of the OP.

"We're not talking National Record here, after all." (Take note, Jason.)

"We're talking about a small number of anglers here on a small river which I believe, is hardly pressured."

"small groups of anglers (even just 2) working together can produce results beyond the sum of individual catches without help.
Watercraft.
No two (or more) anglers will agree exactly so each can benefit from the others insights."

I hope that helps your self-induced confusion.

Regardless of whether it was a good idea to publish the existence of a F/B site or not, there was no need gatecrash the thread with immediate sarcasm when you have no idea what the guys' motives are or how they intend the group to work.

CG74 wrote:
"I'm sure you/they are interested in finding out where the biggies are but do you actually expect anglers to tell you where the bigger fish are located."

You should be ashamed of that quote, imho. Totally uncalled for.

And then to start shifting the goalposts when you're challenged .............

Why not just be plain helpful and encouraging for once? :(

Bluenose

Reaction score
There has been a request to shut the thread, declined for the time being, please don't make it personal .. the OP's intentions are honourable I believe.

For the record I contribute to a couple of online groups (first rule of fight club broken).

I report my catches (no one else's) and what gets posted on there stays on there.. I report the length of river or stillwater but not the specific swims, as do all of the other contributors, i report blanks and all.

When you've had your 35729537889327th successive perch blank it's good to have someone chivvy you along, likewise when the lump turns up it's nice to have a few mates to share it with.

cg74

Reaction score
CG74 wrote:
"I'm sure you/they are interested in finding out where the biggies are but do you actually expect anglers to tell you where the bigger fish are located."

You should be ashamed of that quote, imho. Totally uncalled for.

And then to start shifting the goalposts when you're challenged .............

Why not just be plain helpful and encouraging for once? :(

I'm not ashamed of what I've written, no reason to be. It was blunt but I essentially answered exactly what was being asked.

As for moving goalpost after being challenged. I think you're deluded, I answered every point/question put my way. With two exceptions; one being where I asked for greater clarity of what you were asking, and the other being the missing part of your post partially quoted above; which I really can't be bothered to answer.

Here's a bit of help: Big River Waveney chub netted by carp angler | Coarse Fishing News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK
Assuming the angler is pretty much about 'normal' size, I'd put the fish at 7-02 to 7-06??
Maybe my posts were a bit terse but if read properly state some very valid points, IMO.
Two final points; if the remit of the group is solely to improve catches on river Waveney, then I'd go with two or three of you working together, collating and talking through your findings.... As they're happening.
And with the power of Google: Waveney Valley Fishing: Promising signs in Beccles - Angling - Eastern Daily Press

Last edited:

waveney_chubber

Reaction score
Perhaps the Big Chub Chub Club (BCCC) should remain at the historically high membership of two........:D

chav professor said:
Best way is to try and deal with people like this with as much dignity as possible and starve them of the 'oxygen' they crave from confrontation or their belittling others.

Is it low self esteem that drives some people?

If that isn't ironic I don't know what is!!!!:eek:mg::eek:mg:

chav professor

Reaction score