He Who Dares

maverick 7

Reaction score
You are sat on a small isolated pond...the only other person on the pool is a 30 something bloke on the opposite side of the water.

All is tranquil until about 4 early 20's youths turn up and start mouthing at the 30 something bloke. He gives back as good as he gets... until one of the yobs smacks him in the face....shortly followed by the rest of the mob laying into the bloke something awful.

He is screaming his head off and shouting for you to help him...they are giving him a real going over...he is screaming for help.....

What are you going to do?

Call the cops? By the time they get there he might be dead....Go over and try to help him and risk getting severely beaten up yourself?

Tricky situation...

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
I agree with Mark, difficult to say, but for me because you need to weigh the situation.

The sad thing is that this scenario may indeed be a possibility in some parts of the country.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes, I see, the Paranoid Usual Spinning Suspects v. Imaginary Rentamob Scenario.

Lot of it about among non-fishers and in the Close Season. Best just do as I do: sit crosslegged in a quiet place and go "OMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....".

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's ok, it's obviously fictitious, no one under fifty goes fishing these days.;):p

I have just been reading a book called " the travellers guide to medieval England" and it states that not many lived past 50, so angling must have been none existent :D

The book also states that young men were very violent to each other
Nothing's changed then :eek:mg:

Last edited:

tilly05

Reaction score
Pull my "pole" out of rod bag, and proceed to dish out some retribution... 1 vs 1 id let go, a group on one is a no go.
Always have the "pole" in my rod bag,
Just in case one day i'm caught out on my own by some scrote wanting my gear.... Not happening buddy!!

bigfish74

Reaction score
Id be strqight in 1 on 1 leave it but not 2 or more on 1 but he would nhave his mates as he wouldnt be hard enough on his own little @#$&

Andy

maverick 7

Reaction score
Pull my "pole" out of rod bag, and proceed to dish out some retribution... 1 vs 1 id let go, a group on one is a no go.
Always have the "pole" in my rod bag,
Just in case one day i'm caught out on my own by some scrote wanting my gear.... Not happening buddy!!

Tilly.....do you think that's wise, I know it sounds like the right and moral thing to do but in all probability you will finish up badly beaten and what is the point in you both getting a pasting?

What about making contact with someone on your phone....would that be feasible?

Maverick

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:58 ----------

Id be strqight in 1 on 1 leave it but not 2 or more on 1 but he would nhave his mates as he wouldnt be hard enough on his own little @#$&

Andy

Hi Andy....at least you recognise the danger in committing yourself to the cause and you're right....he certainly wouldn't be hard enough on his own. In fact he wouldn't have done it in the first place if he was on his own.

It would be a situation that needed serious consideration before taking any course of action.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

take pot shots at them with my catty !!!

:)

Hi Phil.....it's one way of ealing with the situation I suppose even though it would be totally ineffective....and at least you would be safe yourself.

Maverick

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the early seventies myself and a friend fished a water that had a very iffy reputation at Hainault in essex the local yobbos would turn up during the night and turn you over. One or two would do the rounds before it got dark to pck the best targets. Myself and my friend had a base ball bat each and when the advance party came stiffing around about ten oclock we had them at hand one of them asked whot hav ya got them fa the reply was come round here after dark and you will find out. they did not come near us but someone the other side of the lake got done and had his gear taken . My advice to anyone these days is to be very aware and carry a nice heavy stick, hawthorn makes a nice stout stick it can come in very useful while fishing and walking.:wh

maverick 7

Reaction score
In the early seventies myself and a friend fished a water that had a very iffy reputation at Hainault in essex the local yobbos would turn up during the night and turn you over. One or two would do the rounds before it got dark to pck the best targets. Myself and my friend had a base ball bat each and when the advance party came stiffing around about ten oclock we had them at hand one of them asked whot hav ya got them fa the reply was come round here after dark and you will find out. they did not come near us but someone the other side of the lake got done and had his gear taken . My advice to anyone these days is to be very aware and carry a nice heavy stick, hawthorn makes a nice stout stick it can come in very useful while fishing and walking.:wh

Very sound advice tiinker.....particularly for night anglers.

In this situation we are talking about, something like that would certainly help anyone who would consider tackling these hypothetical yobs on their own.

Maverick