Close Season / Open Season

chav professor

Reaction score
The pike you speak of is a tragedy but I fail to see the connection with the CS, perhaps it wouldn't have happened if ALL waters were closed.

The situation we have at the moment is pathetic, there have always been and will always be "anglers" that don't care or are ignorant of how to look after fish be that by leaving them alone to do what they do or after catching a fish bad angling practice will I am afraid always be with us.

The three month blanket ban is not a blanket ban is it? it only covers rivers in SOME areas, it is also mostly unenforceable only small sections of river can be covered during the CS and I am afraid that despite your good actions and relationship with your local EA it is just a drop in the ocean compared to what goes on in other areas, anglers on the bank are the eyes of the EA and clubs, when the cats away....

I also don't understand how the CS is "moral" when stillwaters are open to any sort of abuse such as the pike fishing you mentioned above. as for the CS being supported by sufficient number of anglers, where do you get that from? the recent survey carried out was filled in by a minority of the anglers in this country and how many of those supporting the CS fished rivers?

To say its wrong to fish rivers during the CS but ok to fish stillwaters is hypocritical, if anglers are so supportive of the CS they should impose restraint upon themselves and not fish for course fish anywhere that is moral.

Do a straw poll on here... it will be the same as ever... give or take 5% it will be 50:50.... frustrating isn't it.... but no consensus of opinion exists supporting it appeal.

Its just a bit of forum tennis....

As for relationship with the E.A.? You have to work hard to establish that relationship... Dogged determination and consistency in reporting in the apparent face that on the outset it looks like nothing is happening. You get a ref. number - wether they are duty bound, I don't know? But I always get a follow up phone call...

Fishing in the close season? Its not exactly crime of the century... I don't expect teams of EA SWAT teams to descend from the sky - all i expect is that something is done... As I have stated before.. a few get caught and it quickly dies a death.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I am also not a protagonist just someone who dislikes arrogance and snobbery.
As Paul has posted himself it appears he has " problems" on an awful lot of sites, surely not everyone can be a troll, protagonist or objecting to everyone else's comments.

Back on topic.

Do you think it hypocritical to staunchly support a Close season on one type of water whilst happily targeting the same species on another water ?

To an extent I suppose it depends upon what grounds the individual supports a close season on one type of water.

From the point of view of giving the waterside wildlife a break from heavy intrusion I think it could be argued that the linear topography of rivers and drains create environments that are perhaps far more depended upon by wildlife.

Equally a still-water dug and furnished with primarily fishing in mind is an entirely different place to a long established tree-lined weedy estate lake lake. In a moral sense as well as a biographical one.

Personally I would be happy to see an outright closure on waters that are an established part of the ecology, and full year-round access to those typically muddy ponds that have been purposefully dug, densely stocked with fish, and are maintained solely for fishing purposes.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Given that most estate lakes also served as stew ponds it could be argued that they are also artificial environments, the same is true of virtually all lowland drains, the clue being in the name, or any other waterway which has been altered for mans convenience. I would argue that that covers all water in the British isles.

The 'giving nature a rest' argument always makes me smile as the close season is traditionally the time when most clubs choose to get out and do work parties, in the process causing more mayhem and disturbance to birds and other wildlife at this sensitive time of the year than any other.
If rivers were open all year bankside disturbance would be minimised and popular swims would be kept open all year. The wildlife would become accustomed to anglers or build their nests in less popular areas.

chav professor

Reaction score
Had a bit of a result... EA bailiff caught two anglers fishing the river - with no licenses.... Brilliant!!! Spoke to a mate the other day - he rung the call in....

My end?

Lovely sunny day - no anglers on a full 3 miles of the most popular part of the river (the accessible bit - if that makes sense)...

Better still, no rubbish left as there has been recently indicating out of season fishing.... There was a float and a few meters of line trailing into the water which was 'new'.....

Persistence and sticking at it really does pay off...

The Chub are on the shallows in prep for spawning... time to be more vigilant I reckon...

richiekelly

Reaction score
And a dead pike on a local lake,some good the CS does on that type of water, all shut or all open? I would prefer the former.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had a bit of a result... EA bailiff caught two anglers fishing the river - with no licenses.... Brilliant!!! Spoke to a mate the other day - he rung the call in....

My end?

Lovely sunny day - no anglers on a full 3 miles of the most popular part of the river (the accessible bit - if that makes sense)...

Better still, no rubbish left as there has been recently indicating out of season fishing.... There was a float and a few meters of line trailing into the water which was 'new'.....

Persistence and sticking at it really does pay off...

The Chub are on the shallows in prep for spawning... time to be more vigilant I reckon...

Chav, I'm really pleased with the fact that the EA actually act in your area - I might as well 'phone Father Christmas in my neck of the woods - under staffed is not the word.
Jerry