Close Season / Open Season

meat63

Reaction score
Considering its close season theres still plenty of bites to be had, and there are some good anglers on here without a doubt.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I thought you were saying they would have a preventative effect on the polution and polutions can be traced to source by the authorities and fish legal can they not the water above the souce being unaffected.

Knowing where it started and proving who's responsible are two very different things. The evidence could be long gone by the time the damage is discovered.

Alternatively, any pollution could be minimised if its discovered early enough.

A

alan whittington

Why didnt Dave Harrell start a petition against the CS Dave,an angler with his profile would gain interest....and get someone of equal heights to fight the other corner,lol.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why didnt Dave Harrell start a petition against the CS Dave,an angler with his profile would gain interest....and get someone of equal heights to fight the other corner,lol.

It is not worth the argument. When that article was published in the angling times I sent a email countering his reasons and the angling times published it the following week. We all know the pros and cons in this matter. Two top anglers arguing the toss is going to do nothing for either side. The fact is the close season is a fact just get used to it.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Dave Harrell has told told me i can use this link to direct people to the facts, please read, Is it time to get rid of the river close season? | Dave Harrell Angling

As he sees them:eek:mg:

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Thanks all for your comments, this is the point i was trying to get across, I know my views are my views, and we all have our own views on this emotive subject, exactly why i posted it, i thought that was what a forum was about, Cheers Guys ;)

Oh yes, then why start off with, and I quote;

"Most if not all will know where this is going by now, Open the Rivers all year as well, this law is an ass" :rolleyes:

And do you really believe that by opening the rivers up all year would have make one jonnysworth of difference to the amount of cr^p that enters them?

Probably giving the two Daves too much credit here, but are they the same 'Dave' ;)

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Look ive listened to Keith Arthur's show this morning,he says that the reason why Denmark and Irelands rivers dont fish like the did is because of English anglers plundering them during our CS,now Keith is confirmed pro CS man,ive heard him coming out with every concievable reason to stay as we are(as people who have the opposite view do the same to make a point),the rivers in France,Spain(where he's got the gall to be going to shortly)and Holland dont have a CS,or certainly not one timed as ours(im only guessing).As to Tinker's comment about getting used to the closure(roundly applauded by Fred,as is Tinker's every post),it was only a short while ago,it was mentioned anglers should stand up and be counted if they want change,the only way to gauge feeling though is to discuss these immotive subjects,year on year,i still see the same old answers coming back from the pro-lobby,its fine,there must be enjoyment in it somewhere.:guinness::thumbs:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look ive listened to Keith Arthur's show this morning,he says that the reason why Denmark and Irelands rivers dont fish like the did is because of English anglers plundering them during our CS,now Keith is confirmed pro CS man,ive heard him coming out with every concievable reason to stay as we are(as people who have the opposite view do the same to make a point),the rivers in France,Spain(where he's got the gall to be going to shortly)and Holland dont have a CS,or certainly not one timed as ours(im only guessing).As to Tinker's comment about getting used to the closure(roundly applauded by Fred,as is Tinker's every post),it was only a short while ago,it was mentioned anglers should stand up and be counted if they want change,the only way to gauge feeling though is to discuss these immotive subjects,year on year,i still see the same old answers coming back from the pro-lobby,its fine,there must be enjoyment in it somewhere.:guinness::thumbs:

The old answers are all that is needed the close season is. If you do not liks it do something about it other than having the same old moan year after year after year. The longer you leave it the longer it will go on. If you want it changed do something positive about getting it changed it is that simple. The sooner you start the sooner you may get it changed. The ball is in your court.

maverick 7

Reaction score
People do change their views, at one time I was totally in favour of the traditional close season but my thoughts have now swung the other way.

As there are very few EA bailiffs on the bank who is there to monitor; pollution, fish thieves, poachers or predators? Not anglers that's for sure.

As the amount of river anglers has declined I think that any negative influence has also declined. The rivers and their banks still entertain; dog walkers, canoeists, boaters, cyclists, twitchers, hikers, etc.

A few anglers won't make much of detrimental difference on an environmental level but they could be beneficial by providing; early warning of pollution, deterring predators, reducing poaching and fish thefts.

I have been a member of several clubs that have had disastrous fish kills due to pollution incidents and it was anglers who raised the initial alarm every time.

It makes me wonder how many pollution incidents have gone unreported and undetected during the close season leaving the anglers fishing at the start of the season to wonder why the fishing is poorer than last year.

Great post Ray......every word true.

Maverick

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The old answers are all that is needed the close season is. If you do not liks it do something about it other than having the same old moan year after year after year. The longer you leave it the longer it will go on. If you want it changed do something positive about getting it changed it is that simple. The sooner you start the sooner you may get it changed. The ball is in your court.

What can people actually do about it ? The recent survey reveals the majority of anglers surveyed are in favour of retaining it , so what practically can you actually do to fight your cause ?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What can people actually do about it ? The recent survey reveals the majority of anglers surveyed are in favour of retaining it , so what practically can you actually do to fight your cause ?

Get organised for a start then start proving you have got a case.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
No need to prove anything from an anglers perspective as WHEN it gets dropped it won't be because anglers want/wanted it.

Commercial interests and the lack of EA funding to police the damned thing will see its demise.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No need to prove anything from an anglers perspective as WHEN it gets dropped it won't be because anglers want/wanted it.

Commercial interests and the lack of EA funding to police the damned thing will see its demise.

Has not had that effect up to know and with the new anti poaching patrols in inflatables that they piloted on the Thames last year. this year they have the new auxiliary EA bailiffing scheme thing might be just that bit harder to get away with. On top of that there is the new scheme in the london metropolitan area the EA have the support of group of met police officers in a new pilot scheme to combat out of season fishing.

maverick 7

Reaction score

That is a very good question benny....that also crossed my mind when I read tiinkers post.

It's all well and good telling people to do something about it but at the end of the day it is the EA and possibly the Government that decide whether to keep it or not...they and only they will make that decision.

You can prove all you like but the authorities will take no notice .... it will look like they are incompetent if anglers have to "prove" that we don't need the CS.

I am sure someone will say that is just an excuse to do nothing..

..but of course..... it's not.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Has not had that effect up to know and with the new anti poaching patrols in inflatables that they piloted on the Thames last year. this year they have the new auxiliary EA bailiffing scheme thing might be just that bit harder to get away with. On top of that there is the new scheme in the london metropolitan area the EA have the support of group of met police officers in a new pilot scheme to combat out of season fishing.

That sounds far too expensive to maintain to me.....especially for something that the rest of the public don't give a fig about....and most anglers too.

Those activities won't last...........that's for sure.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Spot on mate.........

Maverick

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Tiinker
Very admirable but one fundamental flaw in all that. They are/were just pilot schemes. With the current and further projected public spending cuts implemented they stand little chance of being made permanent schemes. Bit like Salmon spawning in the Thames after all these years it is merely spin and smoke and mirrors from politicians.

Strange though how once again it is the Thames region and even stranger the Met that is involved.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Tiinker
Very admirable but one fundamental flaw in all that. They are/were just pilot schemes. With the current and further projected public spending cuts implemented they stand little chance of being made permanent schemes. Bit like Salmon spawning in the Thames after all these years it is merely spin and smoke and mirrors from politicians.

Strange though how once again it is the Thames region and even stranger the Met that is involved.

That's right Judas....there will be no Flying Squad in inflatables cruising down the Trent this CS that's for certain.....and neither will there be any policemen patrolling the banks for out of season fishing either. They might stop it in London and surrounding areas..... but poaching and the rest of it will still be going on in the rest of the country.

Maverick