Close Season / Open Season

souliedave

Reaction score
Probably going over old ground here, but i'm gonna do it anyway, I'm a River angler first and foremost, i've been fishing since my Grandad first took me when I was 9 years old, and I caught my first Fish, a tiny Perch on Debdale park reservoir, Gorton, Manchester, from then on I was " Hooked", I'm now 56 years old and still as enthusiastic as i was as a 9 year old, (though not as agile !!!) :) My gripe, rant, moan, call it what you will is over the ENFORCED River close season, I've managed to get on a river once since October 2012, it's now March 2013, due mainly to Flooding and Snow meltwater, and now the Season has closed on the Rivers for 3 months, add them both together = 9 month's without any river fishing, I know some will say, go and fish commercials, canals, and stillwaters, I have and will to get my "Fix", but they're no substitute for running water.
Most if not all will know where this is going by now, Open the Rivers all year aswell, this law is an ass, Anglers are the keepers of the water, we see things others don't, i.e. Pollution, Poachers etc, and can report any problems onwards, water companies pumping pure sewage into our Rivers, i've seen it first hand sat on the Riverbank, and reported it, we get a slight rise in levels, and the sluices are opened, all manner of c**p then empties into the rivers, Untreated Toilet Paper, Tampon's, Panty Liner's, Condom's, Nappie's, and Pure Untreated Sh*t, can you imagine how much of this is going through the river systems over a 3 month period, ie, the Close Season, now add the 6 month flooding period, a lot of this rubbish is being released without anyone really knowing or bothering about it all to the Detriment of our Rivers.
Also what sort of Diseases are being carried by all this c**p, have you ever sat there trying to pick toilet paper off your line, it's Disgusting and Demoralising, i've had some fantastic Nappy bites, easy to hit, you catch these every time, yes you can soon put a weight together with these. Our Rivers need watching all year round as much as Commercials do, so "Let's have all waters open or closed for the same period of time across the board" not one law for one and one for another, I could go on and on over this, but i feel enough is enough for now !!!:(

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Probably going over old ground here, but i'm gonna do it anyway, I'm a River angler first and foremost, i've been fishing since my Grandad first took me when I was 9 years old, and I caught my first Fish, a tiny Perch on Debdale park reservoir, Gorton, Manchester, from then on I was " Hooked", I'm now 56 years old and still as enthusiastic as i was as a 9 year old, (though not as agile !!!) :) My gripe, rant, moan, call it what you will is over the ENFORCED River close season, I've managed to get on a river once since October 2012, it's now March 2013, due mainly to Flooding and Snow meltwater, and now the Season has closed on the Rivers for 3 months, add them both together = 9 month's without any river fishing, I know some will say, go and fish commercials, canals, and stillwaters, I have and will to get my "Fix", but they're no substitute for running water.
Most if not all will know where this is going by now, Open the Rivers all year aswell, this law is an ass, Anglers are the keepers of the water, we see things others don't, i.e. Pollution, Poachers etc, and can report any problems onwards, water companies pumping pure sewage into our Rivers, i've seen it first hand sat on the Riverbank, and reported it, we get a slight rise in levels, and the sluices are opened, all manner of c**p then empties into the rivers, Untreated Toilet Paper, Tampon's, Panty Liner's, Condom's, Nappie's, and Pure Untreated Sh*t, can you imagine how much of this is going through the river systems over a 3 month period, ie, the Close Season, now add the 6 month flooding period, a lot of this rubbish is being released without anyone really knowing or bothering about it all to the Detriment of our Rivers.
Also what sort of Dieases are being carried by all this c**p, have you ever sat there trying to pick toilet off your line, it's Disgusting and Demoralising, i've had some fantastic Nappy bites, easy to hit, you catch these every time, yes you can soon put a weight together with these. Our Rivers need watching all year round as much as Commercials do, so "Let's have all waters open or closed for the same period of time across the board" not one law for one and one for another, I could go on and on over this, but i feel enough is enough for now !!!:(

I could not agree with you more bring back the old close season in its entirety Iwould vote for that:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not agree with you more bring back the old close season in its entirety Iwould vote for that

Me too!

We have had this debate for every one of the nigh-on 12 years I've been on FM and, to be honest, no one from either camp ever changes their stance on this most evocative of subjects.

souliedave

Reaction score
Not advocating that there's a close season for everyone, i'd like to see all waters open for everyone, like i said, "Not one Law for one and one for another" let's have some Fairness across the board.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not advocating that there's a close season for everyone, i'd like to see all waters open for everyone, like i said, "Not one Law for one and one for another" let's have some Fairness across the board.

It was fair before they went and changed it in that case:)

souliedave

Reaction score
I know it's not a playground tiinker, but why does it seem as though you're trying to wind people up all the time, if you can't be constructive then don't bother posting, it's a legitimate argument, let's not play at being little schoolboy's.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know it's not a playground tiinker, but why does it seem as though you're trying to wind people up all the time, if you can't be constructive then don't bother posting, it's a legitimate argument, let's not play at being little schoolboy's.

I am glad you see my point. Are your questions just for members who agree with your point of view . I stopped behaving like a schoolboy when I left school and I do not call people names just because I do not agree with their point of view.

souliedave

Reaction score
my question isn't just for people who agree with me, like i said it's a legit argument, for people to make up their own minds.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you'd been around long enough to remember this Sam.
It happens every year, with many variations on the one theme from March onwards, but all with the same answers.

Wait for the vote request :rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought you'd been around long enough to remember this Sam.
It happens every year, with many variations on the one theme from March onwards, but all with the same answers.

Wait for the vote request :rolleyes:

Oh yes, but usually folks wait until the most recent thread has dropped away a little. The eighteen page thread on the same topic is still running and still comes up when you click on the "new posts" button.

The bad one

Reaction score
My gripe, rant, moan, call it what you will is over the ENFORCED River close season, I've managed to get on a river once since October 2012, it's now March 2013, due mainly to Flooding and Snow meltwater, and now the Season has closed on the Rivers for 3 months, add them both together = 9 month's without any river fishing, I know some will say, go and fish commercials, canals, and stillwaters, I have and will to get my "Fix", but they're no substitute for running water.

Don't know which rivers you fish or which rivers you've been trying to get on? What I don't understand is why you have been unable to get on any river in the NW?

Since the dates you give, and I do live in M/c, I've only missed two weekends river fishing because of the conditions you are talking about.
Any yes I've caught all but 3 sessions over this period. So what's your problem been, because I and my mates haven't had any????????