Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sheffield/ Rotherham Canal

Ok so we know we cn't get on rivers so I'm going to have my first go on a canal...
    How much of it is open to fish? The angling times has two stretchs listed in the "canal and waterways" section but this says £20 a year for membership?
    I thought the canal was free/day ticket?
    I work on shepcote lane so was hoping to get a couple hours in after work friday afternoon..
    Any advice on where to go? Back of centertainment, up near meadowhall (american golf) further round towards Rotherham??

Canal & River Trust

The stretch between *2 & 3* is the part thats listed in the paper..

forget that link, its not going to the map i was looking at
    Last edited by tilly05; 20-03-2013 at 20:39. Reason: I'm a dumbass
    more blanks than Les Dawson !!

Default Re: Sheffield/ Rotherham Canal

That`s the South Yorks Navigational, in case it`s proper name helps in your research. I know it well although I fish the Mexborough stretch. It`s somewhat atypical from a lot of canals because it`s generally deeper, and a lot deeper in some sections than the majority of canals people fish. My regular peg is 9-10ft deep in the margins with a deeper boat channel.

The stretch behind the golf shop was club owned some years ago, Tinsley DAA iirc, but that was in the mid 90`s so that may well have changed.

I did some work last year at the B&Q just round the back of Centretainment and the stretch of canal near the bridge looked very tempting, a few lillies and reeds that are pretty much none existent on the stretch I fish. Can`t help you with who has the rights though.
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    That`s the South Yorks Navigational, in case it`s proper name helps in your research. I know it well although I fish the Mexborough stretch. It`s somewhat atypical from a lot of canals because it`s generally deeper, and a lot deeper in some sections than the majority of canals people fish. My regular peg is 9-10ft deep in the margins with a deeper boat channel.

The stretch behind the golf shop was club owned some years ago, Tinsley DAA iirc, but that was in the mid 90`s so that may well have changed.

I did some work last year at the B&Q just round the back of Centretainment and the stretch of canal near the bridge looked very tempting, a few lillies and reeds that are pretty much none existent on the stretch I fish. Can`t help you with who has the rights though.
    You must show him the barge video mouse...it was awesome mate!

Quote Originally Posted by mark brailsford 2 View Post
    You must show him the barge video mouse...it was awesome mate!
    I think it was this one

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHul05Z74oY]Humber Princess at Barnby Dunn & Sprotbrough - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

I`ve actually found a video of my peg. What`s even more bizarre is that my mate who I fish with told me he`d seen this very scene. The scrapyard on the far bank has now gone and been replaced with a Lidl. Not the prettiest place to fish but there`s plenty of sport to be had if you`re happy catching smaller fish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=det1uKlQNbI]Mexborough canal - Trolley and Bench - YouTube[/ame]

This tunnel is just a few yards away from our pegs, it`s our "ahem" restroom. A popular place for the younger crowd to engage in a little drinking and other illegal entertainments of an evening. Funnily enough though when I`ve fished there in the evenings I`ve never had any trouble, just the usual "caught owt mate?".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQuDMPGd74]Mexborough Old Tunnel - YouTube[/ame]
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Cheers guys, centertainment is 30secs from work so might judt drop on there and see what happens... If i get my collar felt i can only plead ignorance and ask where i am aloud to fish!!

I had high hopes in the first 5 seconds of that vid.... Would of been loads better if : a, had created a massive wave and shook the barge alover... B, just ploughed straight into the moored boat! Lol. Twisted sense of humour, i laugh at people falling over.
    I cnt wait to get hooked into the humber princess should be a goid fight, might need somethig better than 2lb line!!
    more blanks than Les Dawson !!

Quote Originally Posted by tilly05 View Post
    I cnt wait to get hooked into the humber princess should be a goid fight, might need somethig better than 2lb line!!
    You`ll have to come further up the canal if you want to catch that beasty, or it`s two sister ships. It unloads somewhere in Rotherham, Beatson Clark iirc. A guy I occasionally fish with works there and helps to unload it. When they send it back it has to have ballast put on it so that it fits under the bridges!

It don't look very deep where the trolley and bench are mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark brailsford 2 View Post
    It don't look very deep where the trolley and bench are mate!!
    lol I know, strange that you can`t really see the ice.

[QUOTE=dangermouse;1219390]lol I know, strange that you can`t really see the ice.[/QUOTE

I was thinking....how the bloody hell...

[quote=mark brailsford 2;1219398]
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    lol I know, strange that you can`t really see the ice.[/QUOTE

I was thinking....how the bloody hell...
    Yeah, it was the bad winter a few years ago. I didn`t see it myself but my mate mentioned it. It might explain the snag just in front of my peg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast