Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroes....

Default Heroes....

All through my angling life I have had a great admiration for the angling skills possessed by Ivan Marks...I am not a matchman and never have been but he was a real hero for a lot of people including me.

I always viewed that guy as The Peoples Champion....I never had the good fortune to meet the bloke but I am told he was very down to earth and would give advice to anybody who asked.....which didn't surprise me at all....A true credit to his sport.

On the other hand......when I was young, I read about the capture of the massive 44lb carp by Dick Walker....I read about the line sliding slowly through the hairs on the back of his hand after the take.....I never thought a fishing story could grip me quite like this one did. From that moment on I was also a big fan of Dick Walkers ...even though I didn't much care for his discipline of the sport.........he too was a true credit to his sport.

So......that got me thinking about who was the best between them despite the different branches of the sport they excelled in....

These two would be my first and second choices of the best anglers that ever lived......Ivan would take first prize by a short neck.

....but who do you think was the BEST angler that ever lived

Who is/was the best angler of ALL TIME?

......voted for by the Members of the Fishing Magic Forum.

Maverick

chefster Guest

Default Re: Heroes....

Alan Scotthorne-5 times world champion,a true technician and a true ambassador for the sport and role model for all age groups

Not into voting, but I do admire a lot of anglers like Jack Hargreaves, Bernard Venables, Paul Young, Benny and Kevin Ashurst, Hugh Falkus, Arthur Oglesby, Bob Nudd and Robson Greene - oops, sorry, he's a tw*t!

Quote Originally Posted by chefster View Post
    Alan Scotthorne-5 times world champion,a true technician and a true ambassador for the sport and role model for all age groups
    Good choice Chefster...

I have to agree with you about the ambassador bit......

Maverick

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
    Not into voting, but I do admire a lot of anglers like Jack Hargreaves, Bernard Venables, Paul Young, Benny and Kevin Ashurst, Hugh Falkus, Arthur Oglesby, Bob Nudd and Robson Greene - oops, sorry, he's a tw*t!
    Hi Jack......so which one do you think is THE best then?...I will try to keep tabs on all the votes until the end (if enough contribute that is) and then count them up.

Maverick

I had the great fortune to meet Ivan Marks on quite a few occasions both socially and in matches and can honestly say that he was a real gent and possibly the best angler of his generation and since. I was going to say that I fished against him in some matches in my younger days, but the truth is that when Ivan turned up you were fishing for second place.

Chris Yates is another I have admiration for, both for his writings and also his angling ethos. Been to quite a few talks given by Chris and he always has the audience, whether fishing related or not, listening intently to his every word.

Besides those two no modern angler warrants anything special no matter what they tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Priest View Post
    I had the great fortune to meet Ivan Marks on quite a few occasions both socially and in matches and can honestly say that he was a real gent and possibly the best angler of his generation and since. I was going to say that I fished against him in some matches in my younger days, but the truth is that when Ivan turned up you were fishing for second place.

Chris Yates is another I have admiration for, both for his writings and also his angling ethos. Been to quite a few talks given by Chris and he always has the audience, whether fishing related or not, listening intently to his every word.

Besides those two no modern angler warrants anything special no matter what they tell you.
    I never had the fortune to meet Ivan, he was my childhood hero! I have met Chris Yates a couple of times, one of the most charming people that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, I feel the same about him as you do mate.
    I don't think Chris really knows how many folk he has inspired to take up Angling!

For someone to be your 'hero' they don't have to be greatest but it's more about holding them in high esteem. I've met, watched and fished against Ivan Marks, and as a 15 year old at school he was my sporting hero - he never did anything since to change that view. His big-match record is one of the best but then Alan Scotthorne's record is also incredible - apart from 5 world titles he has a load more big titles; I watched him win the European Supercup on Holme Pierpoint back in 1990 I think and it was some performance against a 200-strong field of the best in Europe.

Other heroes aren't always such good anglers as many would have you believe; Jack Hargreaves relied more on decent anglers as guests to catch the fish but a great broadcaster all the same, and Chris Yates, who is a smashing bloke, doesn't have a fraction of the skills of many truly skilled anglers but I'm sure he'll be remembered long after the technicians have gone to fish the Styx.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Priest View Post

Hi guys.....very nice posts of a great man....

...Ok Judas and Mark..........are we saying Ivan Marks then as your choice for the greatest angler of all time?

Maverick

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jack sprat View Post
    For someone to be your 'hero' they don't have to be greatest but it's more about holding them in high esteem. I've met, watched and fished against Ivan Marks, and as a 15 year old at school he was my sporting hero - he never did anything since to change that view. His big-match record is one of the best but then Alan Scotthorne's record is also incredible - apart from 5 world titles he has a load more big titles; I watched him win the European Supercup on Holme Pierpoint back in 1990 I think and it was some performance against a 200-strong field of the best in Europe.

Other heroes aren't always such good anglers as many would have you believe; Jack Hargreaves relied more on decent anglers as guests to catch the fish but a great broadcaster all the same, and Chris Yates, who is a smashing bloke, doesn't have a fraction of the skills of many truly skilled anglers but I'm sure he'll be remembered long after the technicians have gone to fish the Styx.
    You're right of course Jack.....to be a hero you don't have to be the best...but it is a good start.....

...sounds to me Jack it's between Scotthorne and Marks....a dead heat maybe?

Maverick

Oh it's not the thread I'd hoped it might be, what the hell, my vote goes to Catwoman, mmmmmm, very nice:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgLOVNMSTo]"Catwoman" (2004) Theatrical Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

For me it is the late great Terry Lampard.

I can think of no angler who was as versatile whilst being a damned nice guy, always happy to stop for a chat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast