Branded Fishing Clothing....Value or Rip Off.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Hammy

Is Sealskinz the brand or the product name?

They sound superb... I've suffered winter fishing with cold feet for years and these sound the bowl ox...

Whilst we're on the subject of cold what boots do you use in conjunction?

PS: When you finish your 'miniature fishing' project please, please PM me some pics and details of how you went about it; sounds brilliant! :)

Hello ****y how's things? :)

Sealskinz are the brand bud.

I've got those feet crumping Skeetex Moon boots, and the Field Boots too, but I seldom wear either. The former are harder to walk in than gloves and the latter are about as weatherproof as keepnets, but they do keep your feet warm. I prefer my Brasher or Meindl walking boots tbh but they'll only keep my feet warm if I'm on the move.

Re the mini fish thing: I've just this minute put the phone down after a lengthy chat with my aquarist mate. we're running a trial with a big fluval filter he has got spare to see how much oomph I need to re-create the flow of the stream across the tank. Then he wants me to get a sample of the stream water and he's going to match the ph etc. I can't wait to get it under way. I'll pm you the details and pics as and when the project is underway. ;)

Oh and the mini-fishing too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re the mini fish thing: I've just this minute put the phone down after a lengthy chat with my aquarist mate. we're running a trial with a big fluval filter he has got spare to see how much oomph I need to re-create the flow of the stream across the tank. Then he wants me to get a sample of the stream water and he's going to match the ph etc. I can't wait to get it under way. I'll pm you the details and pics as and when the project is underway. ;)

Can't wait; it's a project I'd love to emulate and you seem to have the right support and knowledge to make it a success... good luck :)

Keep me posted :)

maverick 7

Reaction score
Yeah it is a lot of dosh for a pair of socks. I'm not suggesting I'd buy them regularly but despite knocking the ciggies on the head eight years ago my blood circulation still seems a bit sluggish and my feet give me hell in the cold, even when I'm walking about. With the Sealskinz on I never get cold feet when I'm on my uppers.

On the other hand I suffer also with my hands terribly in the cold and bit the bullet a couple of months back on a friend's recommendation and lashed out £30 for a Peacock lighter fuel hand-warmer. I was told they are the Rolls Royce of hand-warmers. More like a Skoda! Worst thirty sovs I ever spent. A complete waste of money! :mad:

Hi Chris....Derri Boots Pisces model might be your answer mate..they are not the prettiest boots on the market but they can't be far off the best. There is a right foot and a left foot for a start...if you know what I mean...they are not universal fittings. Walking in them is not a problem at all and they are extremely warm......I have had mine best part of 10 years and they're still going strong.

Around £49.99 last time I looked Chris...but that was a while ago...I would have thought £60 max. In fact I have just checked them out on the net and there is some on there for £39.99...an absolute steal mate.

All the best Chris....

Maverick

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yeah it is a lot of dosh for a pair of socks. I'm not suggesting I'd buy them regularly but despite knocking the ciggies on the head eight years ago my blood circulation still seems a bit sluggish and my feet give me hell in the cold, even when I'm walking about. With the Sealskinz on I never get cold feet when I'm on my uppers.

On the other hand I suffer also with my hands terribly in the cold and bit the bullet a couple of months back on a friend's recommendation and lashed out £30 for a Peacock lighter fuel hand-warmer. I was told they are the Rolls Royce of hand-warmers. More like a Skoda! Worst thirty sovs I ever spent. A complete waste of money! :mad:

What was wrong with the handwarmer Chris?

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Can't wait; it's a project I'd love to emulate and you seem to have the right support and knowledge to make it a success... good luck :)

Keep me posted :)

Will do mate. :)

---------- Post added at 04:36 ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 ----------

Hi Chris....Derri Boots Pisces model might be your answer mate..they are not the prettiest boots on the market but they can't be far off the best. There is a right foot and a left foot for a start...if you know what I mean...they are not universal fittings. Walking in them is not a problem at all and they are extremely warm......I have had mine best part of 10 years and they're still going strong.

Around £49.99 last time I looked Chris...but that was a while ago...I would have thought £60 max. In fact I have just checked them out on the net and there is some on there for £39.99...an absolute steal mate.

All the best Chris....

Maverick

Hi Maverick,

Yes I had a pair of Derri's many years ago and a lot of the local stable workers wear them by default which is a pretty good indictment. Another cheaper alternative to the Derri boots which seem to get great reviews are the Muck Boots. In my case it is pointless sourcing any kind of thermal boot. If I'm sitting down or standing still my feet will still get cold in the very coldest weather regardless of what socks or boots I have on. It is as I mentioned earlier a circulation thing. My feet will be literally stone cold at times even in a warm bed. The only way I can keep them warm is to keep moving and making my blood pump. As an angler it is a curse!

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 ----------

What was wrong with the handwarmer Chris?

It doesn't work Ray. I bought it for beach fishing when you are having to constantly re-bait with slippery wet bait items in the teeth of icy winds. If you leave it on the side working indoors it gets baking hot. Tucked away in a pocket it gets a bit warm too, but if I have it in the outside pocket of my fishing suit -where I can put my hand on it- in freezing cold weather it isn't any more than vaguely warm and does nothing to help warm my hands between baiting at all. It is strange because hand-warmers generally seem to get rave reviews from everyone else, but I wouldn't give you tuppence for another one.

I can't see how it could be a faulty item either as the principle is so basic, I.e a wick and some lighter fuel. I must admit I was sceptical about paying three times the price of a Zippo one on that basis. I can't really see how one could have any advantage over the other, but my beach-fishing mates were adamant that the Peacock was a superior piece of kit.

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
I had a pair of sealskinz many years ago, and was advised to wear a thin pair of 'pure cotton' or 'merino wool' socks as an inner pair of socks, rather than any socks made with artificial fibres). However, I found that after some time, the heel started to fray. (They were recommended to me by a fellow I met on the Great Ouse near Littleport, and he said that they were the sock of choice for the Boat Race crew, and many sailors).
I still have a pair of derriboots, which were bought over 25 years ago; they are still warm, and waterproof, but the heel has come loose, and I only wear them at my local club water, which has a relatively flat bank, and where there is very little walking involved. I would not be confident enough to wear them on places with any slope -like the Fens Drains, though.
When I bought the Meindl boots I was also recommended to buy a pair of 'sorbothane insoles' which are primarily a shock absorber but which also give some insulation. They can be bought either as a 'flat foot' or 'raised heel' design, and are about £ 18 - £20. I can not fault them, so far.