Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are anglers the "guardians of the waterways"

I've see it said many times that anglers are the guardians of the waterways
    That we report pollution , clean up rivers and turn old ponds into places for everyone to fish

And whilst its true that working parties clean up rivers and lakes are we responsible for the rubbish in the first place

Walk along any river bank or round a still water and you see litter, ok some of it is food packaging and could have been dropped by anyone but who else leaves ground bait bags, hook packets, feeder packets except anglers

I've seen anglers flick a cigarette butt into the water on several occasions

Line left in swims is often seen

For the public to see the good we do they need to stop seeing the bad we do
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Default Re: Are anglers the "guardians of the waterways"

You make a good point. Thankfully in my part of the world things are not too bad, but it is not unusual to happen upon discarded sweetcorn tins, Luncheon meat cans and hook/tackle packets that are almost certainly attributable to anglers. Along with beer cans etc, that may well be attributable to anglers.

There is a larger issue though in that without angling interests over the last hundred years or more, many lakes would not be here today. We hear a lot of negatives about anglers particularly from a large organisation devoted to watching birds, but what many don't realise is that without anglers there would be less birds and other animals to watch. Same with rivers. It is the risk of financial penalties that stops wide scale pollution.

I've never quite understood why anglers leave litter, it's so simple to put it in a bag with a big stone in, throw it in the water and let it sink, beauty of this method is that other anglers think you're groundbaiting.

On a serious note, yes we are the 'guardians' of the waterways, if only because we are usually the first to spot any problems because of our presence/interest.
    Some people are so poor, that all they have is money

We are the only guardians of the rivers and still waters. Have you seen what happens to anything that has not got the interest of a group of people no matter what it is . It will be abused one way or another. I can remember when we were kids a local club that was private let us fish a small pond that they did not use . The local residents threw anything and everything in it. Us kids at 10 years of age cleaned it out and it was our fishery. We still poached the big lake and put the odd fish in our pond but it was ours and we looked after it . the residents stopped dumping their rubbish in it because if they did they got it back.

Volunteers Remove Significant Quantity of Litter from the River Roe - Loughs Agency

Sorry I am not trolling I just think that a combination of organisations presenting a unified front is the way forwards and the above is a small example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
    There is a larger issue though in that without angling interests over the last hundred years or more, many lakes would not be here today. We hear a lot of negatives about anglers particularly from a large organisation devoted to watching birds, but what many don't realise is that without anglers there would be less birds and other animals to watch. Same with rivers. It is the risk of financial penalties that stops wide scale pollution.
    True , without anglers many places would be watery dumping ground but we then let ourselves down by leaving tins, cans packets at the backside
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Yes, about 75% of all anglers truly are guardians of our waters.
    It's the other 25% that's the problem.

In my days patrolling lakes and rivers I've seen anglers leave all manner of rubbish behind when they've packed up.

I've also seen them steal cut timber, throat hook ducks on purpose, shoot-up no fishing signs with air rifles, steal fish both dead and alive, damage the landowners property, I could go on but you've all seen it sometime or other.

WHY do anglers do it?
    Why does our sport attract these morons?
    Some may even be reading this now?

Pull them up and they complain your 'like Hitler', take them before the committee and afterwards they tell everyone they are gonna 'sort you' out (I only wish they'd tried), give them their rubbish back and they just look at you dumbfounded!!

The finest remedy is to ban anyone leaving litter for one whole year, no messing!
    This is the only punishment that works 100% in my experience.

But who provides the evidence, a bailiff in a stab vest?
    Last edited by mick b; 27-03-2013 at 18:39.

I think we certainly are guardians of the rivers.......just a pity we can't guard them for a full year though isn't it?

When we are fishing.....generally speaking things are OK, when we are not fishing, there are allsorts of unsavoury beings frequent the banks of our rivers....and because we are not there.......

Maverick

During my night time patrols I caught more anglers white bums going up and down in my spotlight than anything serious.

Usually Wifie was at home looking after the kids while hubby was 'doing' an all nighter...... (-;

"Did you catch anything Darling".........(I b'well hope not).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast