Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The TRUE God's Own County of Yorkshire
    Posts
    521

    Default Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Hi guys........I remember the days of the 70's and early 80's and watching my Dad constantly bagging up every time I went fishing with him. His bait was either white crumb or brown crumb and often bread paste kneaded in a clean white cloth for the hook bait.

    Sometimes he would use groundbait paste for his hookbait....but it seemed all he needed to have a great days fishing.... was plain bread in some form or another.

    He didn't need or want anything else really...

    Surely the fish haven't changed THAT much in such a short space of time...so why are we messing around with every different colour of groundbait under the sun?....AND at £3 PLUS for a relatively small bag.

    In my humble opinion...just another example of anglers being exploited for more money...for something that wasn't really needed.

    I often think that we are our own worst enemies and we often make our sport unnecessarily difficult sometimes. WHY would we introduce baits that will simply make the sport A) More expensive B) Requiring more preparation.

    I suppose the answer I will get for that question is...for more fish...but how long will that last before we are back to the point where we were before it was introduced?....because it WILL.

    The last time I visited the Swale I fished the way I knew it best...it ALWAYS threw up great results for me on caster and hempseed. I fished this way all day until it got to around 5pm...not a bite. This bloke walks on the bank and tells me I should be fishing Halibut Pellet...so I changed over and had a 7lb fish within 30 minutes.

    So now I have to drill all my hookbaits.....make up a load of hair rigs, take longer to put the bait on my rig. All I used to do was pick out 3 or 4 casters, hook them on to my size 10 hook.....and cast in...done....and the results was just as good if not better than they are on the pellet.

    An example of a change of bait that was totally and utterly unnecessary in my opinion.

    The same applies to flavoured groundbait.....I think it was neither neccessary nor productive for us to introduce this stuff.....

    ....but what do you think?

    Maverick
    Last edited by maverick 7; 02-04-2013 at 19:58.

  2. #2
    chefster Guest

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    The fish have changed ,they wise up everytime they are caught and they,ve seen it all before! But basically its mans quest to always look for "The Bait" to give the edge!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charente, France
    Posts
    5,063

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Maverick , do you have an Uncle Ron?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The TRUE God's Own County of Yorkshire
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Quote Originally Posted by chefster View Post
    The fish have changed ,they wise up everytime they are caught and they,ve seen it all before! But basically its mans quest to always look for "The Bait" to give the edge!
    I don't believe that to be true chefster to be honest.....they just see it as food...even THE BAIT.....it's just food to them.

    ...and anyway....if what you say is true, do you not think they will wise up to that too?....as I said in the opening post.

    ...and where does sit all stop.

    Maverick

    ---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
    Maverick , do you have an Uncle Ron?
    ....meaning what?......

    Maverick

  5. #5
    chefster Guest

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    [QUOTE=maverick 7;1222742]I don't believe that to be true chefster to be honest.....they just see it as food...even THE BAIT.....it's just food to them.

    ...and anyway....if what you say is true, do you not think they will wise up to that too?....as I said in the opening post.

    ...and where does sit all stop.

    It does,nt stop, baits and methods are changing all the time ,and this is because the fish wise up-if they just saw it as food with no danger,you,re good old days tactics with breadpaste would still be working,but they,re not!! We have to evolve our methods in order to be successful,thats why we use low diameter lines,small hooks,hair rigs etc!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    2,992

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    I like a bit of continental ground bait.. I use a third continental and 2/3's bread crumb. I have a preference for brown crumb - it has more smell.. But since I have 3 carrier bags of white crumb made and given to me by an absolute angling legend .... I shall be using plenty of that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,974

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Some groundbait that's a bit more fancy than basic crumb probably is a little on the expensive side. That's not to say that it can't be effective.

    However, what baffles me is that you are drilling pellets.
    Save you self an awful lot of messing around and frustration when they break in two while drilling. Get some pre-drilled/holed. I feed normal pellets and keep the pre-drilled purely for hookers. A bag will last ages.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The TRUE God's Own County of Yorkshire
    Posts
    521

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    [quote=chefster;1222745]
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick 7 View Post
    I don't believe that to be true chefster to be honest.....they just see it as food...even THE BAIT.....it's just food to them.

    ...and anyway....if what you say is true, do you not think they will wise up to that too?....as I said in the opening post.

    ...and where does sit all stop.

    It does,nt stop, baits and methods are changing all the time ,and this is because the fish wise up-if they just saw it as food with no danger,you,re good old days tactics with breadpaste would still be working,but they,re not!! We have to evolve our methods in order to be successful,thats why we use low diameter lines,small hooks,hair rigs etc!
    You're missing the point chefster.....the fish don't "wise up"....they are still falling for maggots after what...60 years??....and that is because they are still used in abundance.......

    They change their feeding habits because we more or less force it onto them .......as anglers we continue to change their diets for them.....by introducing what we think would catch more fish....it may do for a short time but we always get back to the same point at some time in the cycle.

    If you walked up and down a fishery where the most prolific bait was ..say meat.....and introduced a fair amount of a new bait every day over a long period of time....say boilies.....it wouldn't be too long before the fish was preferring boilies to the meat.We are the ones that are enforcing the fish to "wise up" as you call it. They are actually simply eating what they more readily recognise as food....and so in this case will move over to the boilies.

    ....exactly in the same way the barbel have moved over to pellet as opposed to hemp and caster in the Swale....because anglers was introducing it in great numbers as it seemed to work everywhere else....and now the fish easily recognise it as the main source of food....simple and very logical to be honest.

    Fish are quite stupid creatures....don't be fooled that they are clever, they can be wary at best but generally do almost everything by instinct.

    Maverick

    ---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chav professor View Post
    I like a bit of continental ground bait.. I use a third continental and 2/3's bread crumb. I have a preference for brown crumb - it has more smell.. But since I have 3 carrier bags of white crumb made and given to me by an absolute angling legend .... I shall be using plenty of that.
    Pleased to hear that Chav.....I thought the stuff had long made it's final farewell.

    Maverick

    ---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Some groundbait that's a bit more fancy than basic crumb probably is a little on the expensive side. That's not to say that it can't be effective.

    However, what baffles me is that you are drilling pellets.
    Save you self an awful lot of messing around and frustration when they break in two while drilling. Get some pre-drilled/holed. I feed normal pellets and keep the pre-drilled purely for hookers. A bag will last ages.
    Hi Sam....I hear what you are saying mate BUT....the way I make my barbel rigs is like this. On the hair I tie a pellet band.....so if you look at my hair rigs, instead of a loop there is a rubber ring. I hook the band with my needle and pull it through the hole in the pellet...at this point the elastic is stretching and is at it's thinnest point. When I release the band it expands back to it's normal thickness and grips the inside of the hole of the pellet...so there is no need to faff about with stops to hold the bait on....it holds on all by itself.

    The point I am getting to is this......the holes in the pre-drilled pellets are simply too big...and the pellet bands will not grip. I have tried various brands and they all seem to be the same so I drill them myself.

    As for the fancy groundbait....I totally agree with you ...of course it is effective because it has long since been the norm for groundbait and the fish recognise it as so.

    ...but I have a sneaky feeling that if we had stuck to the plain white and brown crumb....we would still be enjoying the same results.

    Maverick

  9. #9
    chefster Guest

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Going back to my original post Mav,it,s mans quest to find the Utimate bait that will catch more fish than the next guy!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In God's County: Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,883
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Yet Another Rip Off?...Flavoured Groundbait

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick 7 View Post
    ....meaning what?......
    No idea, but; What do you think?



    As to the original question, I personally favour Continental mixes way above home made bread crumb for the simple reason that bread groundbait, in its' many different forms, is basically 100% all feed.

    Continental mixes (and I've had 2 trips around the Sensas' factory) are a lot less feed, more attractors and and flavorings. I know what I prefer to use to attract fish to my hookbaits rather than feed-off a shoal in my peg.

    It served me very well over a decade of matches at club, festivals and international level.

    Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

    Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

    Patrick F. McManus






Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fishmeal Groundbait 1kg. Carp,Fishing,Bait,Tackle,Pole,Groundbait,
    By FishingMagic in forum Pole Fishing Tackle
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 20:00
  2. Flavoured Sweetcorn
    By Ken Elston in forum Coarse Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 18:27
  3. Flavoured Maggots
    By Andrew Turton in forum Coarse Fishing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17-05-2006, 08:15
  4. Flavoured maggots
    By Adrian Bartle in forum Coarse Fishing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 13:52
  5. Flavoured PVA Bags?
    By Malcolm Bason in forum Carp Fishing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2001, 14:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •