One for all the John Bailey Haters

paul80

Reaction score
Hi guys

Another one for all the John Bailey Haters out there.

On the Fly with John Bailey is showing soon on Sky Channel 280 they are showing a double episode every day from 1.30pm from Monday.

Paul

mick b

Reaction score
Since the passing of **** Walker and Peter Stone the race is on between all those who aspire to become anglings next elite.

To most non- anglers I've met 'Laughing Boy' is already on the throne with Jeremy Wade on his rights and side. Both are clean, tidy, intelligent with a high degree of angling knowledge, more importantly they are non threatening in their manner and attitude.

Crabtree was a cartoon character invented by an angler of modest skill but a good eye for a business opportunity.
JB portrays Crabtree to be more understanding of the young anglers pleasure rather than his own, something Crabtree was not, and someone who gains a genuine excitement from his young charges successes, the Perch fishing episode a case in point.

As an ex-teacher JB is doing the programme makers, the young anglers in his care, and all of us a great service.
Keep up the good work JB.
(No axe to grind, never met him or read any of his books, just a personal opinion after 60years beside the water).

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A few weeks ago JB published in the Angling Times about his programs. He accepts there were mistakes but, also explains that some were unavoidable through the way the programs were made and the fact he was filming with very young people. For instance, he had the whole family's of these youngsters in the background looking on. So, fair do's to him.

blackout

Reaction score
I'm not been funny or owt but who is he and why do people hate him?

more to the point, does it matter who he is

paul80

Reaction score
Every one hates him because he is on the telly and they are not. Simples

split shot

Reaction score
On the back of the Crabtree series, the cost of membership on the fishery where most of it was filmed has gone up from £300 to £475 a year. A move greeted with a little anger but mostly hilarity locally.

nicepix

Reaction score

Might be true of some. But I'm not bothered who is on TV or not and quite like John Wilson and some other angling presenters.

My dislike of JB stems from the tripe he posted in Anglers Mail (should that be Angler's Mail?) when he first started out and compounded by all those books that carry his name that were actually written by others.

flightliner

Reaction score
It,s a strange one this, "old time" anglers who were considered "great" were so perhaps on account of them having written angling works that were considered definitive by the many thousands of other anglers in those times who had little by way of finding out about the sport from any other media 'cept the weeklies, writers were held in higher esteem than they are now -again- perhaps on account of above.
Today information is easy to aquire (look at all the guys with phones to their ears after a good capture-- its gone viral before the press hear of it in many cases and if it goes into a book its already "old news" so to speak.
Today, on account of info being widely and easily available many anglers out there are far far better than the guys in the press or those who write books or make films and videos , (some I think are pretty limited in their angling experience in my opinion),.
The monthlies are full of young twentysomethings giving it large about one thing or another-- fine-- Far be it from me to dampen their enthusiasm but in todays world It takes someone very very special to stand out amongst the many and the many are in the main you and me who often just get on with it.

paul80

Reaction score
For me many a hobby based TV show has been spoilt because the presenter has been chosen for their knowledge of the subject rather than their abilities as a presenter.

A good presenter can present any subject as long as he has a good script to work from but a bad presenter will make a bad show no matter how much he or she knows about the subject.

The problem in the fishing world is that as soon as someone catches a big fish or two they are held up as gods and are published in just about every medium going.

For me one of the best presenters in angling has been John Wilson, just look at the huge number of shows he has done over the years, and apart from his annoying laugh they have always been quite watchable. I don't think there have been to many others that could match his presenting abilities.

Personally I don't mind John Bailey although he is not up there with the best of them, he is nowhere near the bottom of the list. Andy little and Rex hunt are down there for me.

Paul

paul80

Reaction score
It could have just been a typo though that got through the proof readers, everyone is entitled to make mistakes, especially as you get older and your memory starts playing tricks on you.

Remember the old saying of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most

Also look after your knees, you will miss them when they are gone.

Paul

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
I consider that it is better to have good presenting skills, with a reasonable knowledge of the subject, rather than having an excellent knowledge, but poor presentation skills; John Wilson had both (but such an irritating laugh, at times).
I thought John Bailey was excellent most of the time, on 'Crabtree'; my only reservation was that, at times, he was too prominent, instead of the 'Peters'. I thought that he should have handed over the rod more to them, to enable them to feel the fight.
My current bugbear with presenters is that because some are 'famous' (when really they are not) in their own field, they are considered competent to be presenters (when, MOST DEFINITELY, they are not).
My classic example occurred during the Olympic Cycling Road race: Dame Kelly Holmes and John McEnroe were 'presenting'. They are certainly legends in athletics, and tennis, respectively, and can talk about their sports with authority, but they were totally clueless about cycling. During 'Strictly come Dancing' I would like to know what moron thinks it is effective when announcing the results; the unnecessary (egregious) delay does not raise any anticipation - it merely installs, in me at least, two statements "Oh dear, Old Brucie has fallen asleep - wake the old fellow up", or "Blonde Dimbo (that is a blonde who is a dense bimbo) read the auto cue which is in front, now, please".
Ben Fogle is a good presenter, except he over-magnifies the situation sometimes: "This descent is very tricky, and dangerous" - but he is filmed from below, with the poor cameraman having descended much lower, and earlier, but there are no remarks about risks and danger to him (or possibly, her)!!
The mark of an excellent presenter is when people say "That looked very easy to do, I could do that". I am old enough to remember Jack Hargreaves, and he indeed was a master of country-lore, and activities, and presenting.

paul80

Reaction score
I thought John Bailey was excellent most of the time, on 'Crabtree'; my only reservation was that, at times, he was too prominent, instead of the 'Peters'. I thought that he should have handed over the rod more to them, to enable them to feel the fight..

Mind you I found that aspect to be quite accurate, if you read Crabtree again you will find that Peter did very little fishing, the lions share was done by Crabtree, just like it could have been in the show, in reality the TV Peters got to see far more rod action than the paper Peter ever got to see.

Paul

paul80

Reaction score
No comments on the actual show, so I take it no one watched it then.

Bailey was his usual self with his usual Hardys clobber on and the dreaded Hardys Centerpin with the ratchet turned on.

The odd thing for me though was the Title of the show "On the Fly with John Bailey".

Of the Ten Episodes he only chucked fluff in about three of them, the rest was all about coarse angling, must have been most disappointing for the fly fishers that tuned in.

He did fish in some nice locations though, although as usual not the sort of location most of use would have any hope of fishing, all those private estate lakes etc.

Paul

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

An angler is not measured by being on the television it is what he does before he gets on television that counts and in JBs case not a lot I am afraid. As was seen when he was on the sceen and that was the edited version.