discarded line and lost end tackle on islands

blackout

Reaction score
Discarded line and rubbish on the bank is disgraceful but what about those commercials with islands on?,

Me and my mates had to endure a full days fishing last season sat oposite a poor squawking moor hen - it was obviously very distressed suspended upside down with mono round its legs and the farmer didnt give a flying f**k!

It really spoiled our day it was awful

He was more guilty in my opinion than all the ****head anglers not removing all the line which inevitably gets caught on these features, its a hazard for all wildlife isnt it?

C

chefster

Discarded line and rubbish on the bank is disgraceful but what about those commercials with islands on?,

He was more guilty in my opinion than all the ****head anglers not removing all the line which inevitably gets caught on these features, its a hazard for all wildlife isnt it?

Have you never got caught up on the far bank then??

dangermouse

Reaction score
Have you never got caught up on the far bank then??

I think you missed the point Chef. Anglers are obviously going to snag up on features like islands, it`s inevitable. However surely it`s the responsibilty of those who own the water to tidy it up or at least do something when wildlife is endangered. That`s all the OP is saying.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All it needs is a small boat and the owner cold clear up islands and collect all those snagged floats

Yeah, and he could make a killing on Ebay :)

Seriously though, it should me made law that the land owner take responsibility for the Damage caused to wildlife by litter that is not removed from areas out of bounds to visiting Anglers (All Anglers leaving rubbish on the banks should be hung, drawn and Quartered! Sorry, just my opinion ;))

C

chefster

I think you missed the point Chef. Anglers are obviously going to snag up on features like islands, it`s inevitable. However surely it`s the responsibilty of those who own the water to tidy it up or at least do something when wildlife is endangered. That`s all the OP is saying.

No i never missed the point about responsible fishery owners,it was his comments about the ****heads who snag the islands that that i could,nt quite understand!,We,ve all caught a far bank feature at some point,even with practice and a line clip ,accidents happen,so if he,s saying that anyone who ever gets caught up snaps off is a ****head ,then probably every angler is a ****head....Most fishery owners have small rowing boats and retrieve lost and snagged tackle,why didnt he swim across and free the moorhen??

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A few years ago on one of our local lakes someone took a push bike over to the Island and leant it against the no swimming sign! So funny :)

C

chefster

A few years ago on one of our local lakes someone took a push bike over to the Island and leant it against the no swimming sign! So funny :)

Another funny story!I was fishing a lake with a small island about 30m away,my top kit was not pushed on the pole far enough as i was playing a carp it came off and said carp swam attatched to my top kit to the island.There was a small boat in the next peg so i started to row out to the island ,i got about 10ft from the bank when it started to sink,i ended up dragging it back to shore and going for a swim!! October is not the best time to go for a swim in you,re boxers!!!!:D

seksee

Reaction score

I bet that was a massive amount of effort from somebody... but well well worth it! :thumbs:

I think that's the kinda thing that would make me giggle to myself for a full session!

shooting head

Reaction score
Black out,
Reading through your post you sound like someone who cares about wildlife in their natural surroundings. If you had made the owners aware of the bird in distress and the attitude was one of no interest then your duty would be to report them to the R.S.P.C.A. You make him aware of your intensions and have a witness. They will then take it on board, deal with situation and take further measures appertaining to the case.
As pursuers of outdoor sports, we have a duty to protect our wildlife and it's surroundings for others to enjoy.

BEFORE I GET LABELLED BY SOME AS AN ANTI- HUNTING , SHOOTING AND FISHING NERD, I 'M NOT.
I believe in gathering for the table (not to make a fast buck) but by the same rule look after the food chain so it is there for another day. In nature when one species is taken out, then others suffer.

laguna

Reaction score

Me and my mates had to endure a full days fishing last season sat oposite a poor squawking moor hen - it was obviously very distressed suspended upside down with mono round its legs and the farmer didnt give a flying f**k!

It really spoiled our day it was awful

If you're referring to that farm in Leeds (nobody wants to go bye) Phil, that was two years ago mate! :eek:mg:

If you remember, the farmer had said his boat was on the other lake and that his kids would attend to the moor hen when they came home from school. The fact that we never saw the kids/boat/farmer late into the evening probably means he forgot to tell them? :wh

terry m

Reaction score
My local club has a hotline for any angler that witnesses waterfowl in trouble, or even if they have hooked a water bird.

The RSPB come out to tend to the distressed/injured bird.

I have not had the need to use it yet, but it's a good idea. Though not likely to be a common option on a commercial.

blackout

Reaction score
No i never missed the point about responsible fishery owners,it was his comments about the ****heads who snag the islands that that i could,nt quite understand!,We,ve all caught a far bank feature at some point,even with practice and a line clip ,accidents happen,so if he,s saying that anyone who ever gets caught up snaps off is a ****head ,then probably every angler is a ****head....Most fishery owners have small rowing boats and retrieve lost and snagged tackle,why didnt he swim across and free the moorhen??

Yes you did!!!

I'm obviously not saying we should swim to get our tackle back am I?:eek:mg:

If you're referring to that farm in Leeds (nobody wants to go bye) Phil, that was two years ago mate!

If you remember, the farmer had said his boat was on the other lake and that his kids would attend to the moor hen when they came home from school. The fact that we never saw the kids/boat/farmer late into the evening probably means he forgot to tell them?

Forgot my arse he just didnt care hes as bad as those that leave line on the bank. :(

richiekelly

Reaction score
No i never missed the point about responsible fishery owners,it was his comments about the ****heads who snag the islands that that i could,nt quite understand!,We,ve all caught a far bank feature at some point,even with practice and a line clip ,accidents happen,so if he,s saying that anyone who ever gets caught up snaps off is a ****head ,then probably every angler is a ****head....Most fishery owners have small rowing boats and retrieve lost and snagged tackle,why didnt he swim across and free the moorhen??[/QUOTE]

You did ask why he didn't though.

C

chefster

the blanker You did ask why he didn't though.[/QUOTE said:
I know i asked that question,because apart from calling everyone ****heads,his statement was pretty pointless!!!

richiekelly

Reaction score
I know i asked that question,because apart from calling everyone ****heads,his statement was pretty pointless!!!

I dont think it was pointless although it may have been better to name the fishery as the owner did nothing and if I fished commercials it wouldn't be one I would want to visit.