Retirement planning

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The things I miss since I have been retired. Friday nights were the best of the week because no work for two days. Bank holidays were special as you could enjoy all of Sunday because you did not have to go to work on Monday. Every day is the same these days every day is a holiday. I find I even lose track of what day it is sometimes. You can do what you like when ever you like.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
interesting. its only recently that iv started thinking what am i going to do when i get out?, i mean my 22 year service ends when im 40, depending on where i am at that point determines wether or not i can stay on potentially up to 55 but to be honest i know i will have had more than enough by then, im sick of it now tbh.

I recently got back in touch with a friend I went through basic training with who has just left the RAF at age 55.
If you can stick at it it's a very nice lifestyle and believe me, the grass growing down the middle of civvi street is nowhere near as green as it looks from the comfort and security of the forces.
Given my time again I think I would take my RAF career allot more seriously than I did and make a real effort to rise through the ranks a bit higher than Corporal.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I often wonder what effect a Thread like this has on folk either in, or approaching, retirement.....
For those already in it but are struggling to fill the time, do they read this sort of thing and decide to make more effort to really get to grips with available time... and for those approaching it, does it help to read other people's experiences, and, if they haven't already done so, sit down and attempt to 'make a plan'....

I like to think it helps, either way ...but I'm not so sure - perhaps they just carry on and hope for the best....

pidgergj

Reaction score
I recently got back in touch with a friend I went through basic training with who has just left the RAF at age 55.
If you can stick at it it's a very nice lifestyle and believe me, the grass growing down the middle of civvi street is nowhere near as green as it looks from the comfort and security of the forces.
Given my time again I think I would take my RAF career allot more seriously than I did and make a real effort to rise through the ranks a bit higher than Corporal.

Im happy enough where i am, im a Corporal atm, should be a Sjt by 29 so im on track for a good career, and i wouldnt really consider getting out, after all im qualified for nothing on civvy street. I only really started to pull my finger out and get on promotion track when i got married, and maybe i am a bit young to be worrying about retirement just yet, but after reading this thread it brings it home that it will come around one day, so in response to Tee Cee's post; it has made me think over the last few days about what im going to do!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Retirement is what you work all your life for! No need for navel-contemplation or retirement-planning courses and investment advice. Kick back, enjoy it and the reduction in revenue and adjustment to lifestyle is more than compensated for by the fact that you'll never have to work again. It's a no-brainer innit? ;)

Had to cancel your fishing as it's pi$$ing down and blowing a hoolie? Solution, go tomorrow - the world is your lobster! :w

flightliner

Reaction score
The only thought I ever gave to retirement was how quickly I was able to make it happen even tho I liked what I did at work there was never a day that I would rather be working than at home or elsewhere doing exactly what I wanted.
I "retired" at fifty one going into semi retirement doing two days a week supplementing my
occupational pension and I have never been happier.
I,ve done /taken up loads of stuff that that have ticked lots of boxes, stuff that wouldnt have been possible to do when retiring at the normal age of sixty five thro lack of perhaps money, energy or whatever.
soon folk will be retiring even later in life than now so do whatever it is that you want to asap.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Somehow I doubt I will be semi-retiring at 51. My father-in-law fully retired at 51 and has had a wonderful time since.

I can imagine my main drivers for remaining in full time work into my 50's will revolve around my 2 daughters!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Somehow I doubt I will be semi-retiring at 51. My father-in-law fully retired at 51 and has had a wonderful time since.

I can imagine my main drivers for remaining in full time work into my 50's will revolve around my 2 daughters!!!
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook

I suppose luck played the biggest part in my being able to make the choice so early but it was seasoned with thirteen years going to night school from fifteen years old which was hard when seeing all my mates going out most nights and telling me what a mug I was, dont see em calling me now cos I dont go out at six o - clock in the morning when they are on their way to work.

I only have the one daughter SF --- expensive -- yes-- two I can,t even imagine!lol.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
flightliner: Whatever 'luck' (as you call it) you had was earned and deserved. I too know what it's like to leave school at 15 with 'you'll never make anything of yourself' ringing in my ears from oh-so-supportive teachers. As with you I spent countless years on day release together with 3 nights a week at night school trying, and eventually succeeding, to become an engineer.
It was tough and relentless, but I know I did it to give myself every chance to do what I craved for most of all, to travel, see the world and do a job that I loved at the same time. It worked out beautifully.....................and I made up for all those missed 'nights out with mates' and then some!
Strangely enough, those of my school class who chided me for being such a dunce didn't fare so well, the worst of whom ended up as a window cleaner...

That background ensured my own son didn't have to struggle in the same way and he too has made a success of his life through the same hard work and dedication...Not by me pushing him but because he wanted to..

You and I both, now sit back and enjoy the rewards in retirement...

flightliner

Reaction score
flightliner: Whatever 'luck' (as you call it) you had was earned and deserved. I too know what it's like to leave school at 15 with 'you'll never make anything of yourself' ringing in my ears from oh-so-supportive teachers. As with you I spent countless years on day release together with 3 nights a week at night school trying, and eventually succeeding, to become an engineer.
It was tough and relentless, but I know I did it to give myself every chance to do what I craved for most of all, to travel, see the world and do a job that I loved at the same time. It worked out beautifully.....................and I made up for all those missed 'nights out with mates' and then some!
Strangely enough, those of my school class who chided me for being such a dunce didn't fare so well, the worst of whom ended up as a window cleaner...

That background ensured my own son didn't have to struggle in the same way and he too has made a success of his life through the same hard work and dedication...Not by me pushing him but because he wanted to..

You and I both, now sit back and enjoy the rewards in retirement...
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook

Tee Cee
Absulutely spot on with the ex schoolteacher comments, that along with the fact that my brother and sister both passed their eleven plus which really hurt me having realised I had failed one of lifes first hurdles.
After my thirteen years of evening classes ( along with the first five years of day release) which were three nights a week being murder at times considering I was finnishing work on a building site tired hungry and dirty , but having to stay on in town in order to go to college it gave me the qualifications to apply for a job that gave me exactly what I wanted, better pay,conditions, prospects and free time.
I would do it all again if I had too.

pidgergj

Reaction score
blimey, where were you? palace?

always good to talk to old green jackets. since the amalgamation things have changed....

Wilko

Reaction score
I have heard that mate :(
After the Rifle depot in Winchester I was in Trenchard in Celle, North Howard street in Belfast and Hyderabad in Colly.

pidgergj

Reaction score
the problem is we took the D and D's and the RGBW. The majority of the OC's and CSM's were redcoats and we lost our individuality. of course the headshed will disagree but its fact.