Retirement planning

acbruce

Reaction score
I've recently retired, love fishing in all its forms qnd therein lies my dilemma. Now I do know I'm ver fortunate to have the time and capacit to indulge this passion BUT I do find working out when and how to go course fishing, fly fishing, predator fishing, sea fishing, pole , feeder or waggler and making sure I practice all forms to keep sharp and catching. Planning was never a strong point so any advice gratefully received.
Oh by the way given other committments I can feasibly fish two days a week.

C

chefster

acbruce; Oh by the way given other committments I can feasibly fish two days a week.[/QUOTE said:
Thats the same amount of days i go fishing,and i still work 50+ hours per week-I hope when i retire,given other commitments,that i can fish 4-5 days per week!!:D:D:D:D:D

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you are retired the governing factor for sea fishing is the tides and for all the other disciplines, it's the weather. I'm buggered if I'm going to freeze or get soaked when there are 6 other days in the week to go! :w

john step

Reaction score
;) I retired a few years ago and fish 2-3 times a week. The problem with the idea of fishing 4-5 days a week is one of exhaustion!!
At a younger age I could have done it standing on my head..now I get tired and get aches and pains in places that I never used to know existed.
The thought of casting a fly all day then holding a long pole the next would seem hard work to say the least.
The other consideration is of money. The small items of gear need replacing a lot quicker. Then there are all the other costs of fuel/tickets/bait. Have a few local club books which are quite cheap.
Just do what takes your fancy. slow down and enjoy todays fishing and worry about the next trip after you get home and complete your log.
Its a tough life with decisions like these to make!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Problem with retirement is that there just aren't enough hours in the day.

I'm not exactly retired, just "between" jobs with no particular hurry to get one. That's certainly what I'm finding. I often wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. If I could, I'd officially retire in a heartbeat.

C

chefster

I Wish i could afford to retire,and go fishing everyday(or when the other half lets me!!!!:D:D:D:D) But i,m only a poor chef:(

mick b

Reaction score
I started stockpiling my fav hooks, floats, etc years before I retired.
Also made a few rods, brought a few more and looked around for the location with the best fishing within my housing budget.

Most clubs offer a senior citizen reduction on membership fees, but some are still over £100 even with the reduction so watch out!

As Fred says don't fish at weekends and avoid Mondays if the waters been hammered on the Sunday, I've even caught fish on a Tuesday that coughed up maggots even tho I was the only angler on the water since Sunday afternoon!

Beware tho, because your attitude to fishing will change, especially of you used to fish to wind-down from your job, retirement means far less stress, hopefully!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been retired four years now and the best thing about it is you can please yourself what you do and when you do it. But as Nicepix said earlier there are not enough hours in the day. I often wonder how I got all the things done I did when I was working.

floatfish

Reaction score
When retired a few years you start to slow down. Doing in a morning/afternoon something you would do as part of your day, along with working. Whilst still finding time to go fishing two or three times a week.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's all about time management in my opinion,and as far as fishing is concerned just how much time you want to spend doing it (all other things considered!) in the first place. I retired at 58 (give or take) and planned to do so long before this date and without doubt the financial planning was a major, major factor as to when I could stop work.
I saw the amount of time I could spend fishing as very important in my, (or our) planning but it was only one consideration and we only made a decision once we new our financial situation was assured.
I like to fish 4/5 times a week if I feel like it but only during the week. At this time my wife will be doing gym/keep fit/walking or looking after our garden veg etc all of which takes a massive amount of time. To enable us to have this much free time we SHARE totally the housework in all it's forms and all the other jobs like shopping etc. Most of this is done over the weekends so come Monday we are, in essence, free to do other things.
No, it doesn't always work perfectly particulalrly when health issues for example cloud the picture BUT we still try to ensure we help the other to make things work if extraneous issues present themselves...

I probably paint a rosy picture but it only works because we PLAN for everything, and I mean everything! Money is sorted at the end of every month and we always go into the next month completely clear in our minds that we have allowed funds for every eventuality AND a given sum is available for us to use as individuals - hence I have dosh for fishing and my wife dosh for clothes or whatever......and we never question how that money is spent.......

IMHO retirement only works well if you have financial stability in the first place because having to struggle from month to month just makes life a misery - for all concerned!

To all those approaching retirement, and I mean from 50 years old or so, believe me when I say NOW is the time to start serious planning if you want to be at all 'comfortable' when your time comes to be 'free'..............................

Others will have different ways no doubt..

ps My wife has just said "it's getting chilly in the house so I'm going to put the heating on" and that, in a nutshell is what it's all about - NOT having to think "can I afford to"...........................

C

chefster

I,m currently working on my financial situation,for my retirement plan-it involves writing down 6 numbers on a weds and sat,so far it has,nt worked out yet:(:(Gaz

nicepix

Reaction score
I am lucky in many respects. I had 25 years notice of my retirement day and planned accordingly. We knew that we would be able to live modestly on my pension and have a small lump sum for emergencies. I also knew that with my hobbies I would have enough to keep me occupied. Many people I know who retired before me fell into a depression after they finished work because they hadn't enough to occupy them without work. To some extent my wife suffered but that was also down to moving away from her friends and family as much missing the responsibility of her management role . Now that she has built up some friends out here she is perfectly happy.

As it is I haven't enough hours in the day or days in the week with fishing, travelling in the camper van, helping friends out with various tasks and the day to day chores of life. About 18 months ago my farmer landlord asked if I knew how to trap moles as they had a big problem on the farm where I rented a cottage. Over 250 moles later that has lead to me setting up a small business doing mole catching on gardens, farms and sports fields. It isn't hard work or long hours and I get to meet some nice folk as well as putting a bit of money in my pocket and saving on health cover as the government pays the health insurance of the self-employed.

I think I was born for retirement :D

mick b

Reaction score
Im a fatalist, always have been, if your going to catch that fish you will believe me, if its going to be yours it will be, it has your name on it.

I go fishing when the time suits me, not when the fish are supposed to bite best, this hasn't stopped me catching some superb fish and raising the weight of most of my PBs, plus catching a few fish of my dreams, all since I retired.

Ive also driven all around Europe, lived for many years in a sunny climate, caught five marlin in a day while running my boat singlehanded, got divorced and made a new life and made many many friends, nearly all of whom are fishermen.

And I haven't stopped yet, not by a long chalk!

Life is not a rehearsal.