There is no stopping some criminals

paul80

Reaction score
I suppose the number of scams there our out there at the moment is a good indication of just how many people still fall for this sort of thing.

You would not believe the number of people I know of that have fallen for the old Nigerian 419 scam.

Talking of which if you know what a 419 scam is and want a good laugh pop over to 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet! and brows through the letters archive, they do have some good fun with these Lads.

Paul

terry m

Reaction score
The sad thing is that this sort of thing does not surprise me at all, which in turn says something about our society.

paul80

Reaction score
I suppose one work could sum it all up, from both the scammer and the victims point of view, and that would be Greed.

Paul

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You must have to be one thick pillock to fall for any of that Nigerian malarkey, or these PayPal/bank phishing emails.

When I get one of those Nigerian emails (usually in pidgin English) I reply with "F**k off w**ker and get a job like I had to!"

The other day I had one, purportedly from PayPal, and the title read "Verifyer your acount details" I kid you not, they'd be better off selling the Big Issue outside BNP headquarters!

paul80

Reaction score
The biggest worry is that nowadays more and more elderly people are going on line and as they start to slip into dementia they are more and more susceptible to this sort of scam, my wife works in an OAP residential home, and they quite often end up getting involved in trying to stop one of their residents shipping their life savings off to the local Weston Ubion office because they think they have won millions in some obvious (to us) scam.

And remember if your elderly relative send their money this way it is lost forever, the banks won't get it back for you.

Paul

richiekelly

Reaction score
The biggest worry is that nowadays more and more elderly people are going on line and as they start to slip into dementia they are more and more susceptible to this sort of scam, my wife works in an OAP residential home, and they quite often end up getting involved in trying to stop one of their residents shipping their life savings off to the local Weston Ubion office because they think they have won millions in some obvious (to us) scam.

And remember if your elderly relative send their money this way it is lost forever, the banks won't get it back for you.

Paul

Happened to my mother in law, we think she sent hundreds thinking she had won cash or to some fortune teller, the wife stopped it as soon as she found out, strangely she hid what she was doing for months.