Chertsey (Thames)

Robin Gadd

Reaction score
Hello people.....Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Chertsey streatch on the River Thames. I have a match on Sunday so i'm aiming to catch whatever I can get but wouldn't mind hitting the Bream that are aparently there. Anyone with any ideas please....Many thanks

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
Feeder tactics mid-river work well for the bream upstream of Chertsey Lock, so should work below there as well. The Thames bream have a good average weight here. (Had some nice bream to 7lb+ this morning a bit further up towards Staines - feeder/pellets/corn & hair-rigged dbl rubber corn on 8lb fluoro hooklink did the biz)

If you get time, always worth a call in to Davies Angling in Staines& ask the staff for info - they're very knowledgeable ref the local fishing.

Robin Gadd

Reaction score
Thanks Andy I shall give that a go. I'll be going for a couple of practice sessions on Thur and Fri. I have a load of pellets as I usually fish lakes for the carp/tench ect.....Not used to the rivers but our club have thrown one in this time round so needed the advice......thanks alot and i'll let you know how I get on....Robin

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
Good luck with the match. Watch out forpossible river rising by Sunday due to the heavy rain expected tonight further upstream. If bream are your no.1 target, take a selection of feeders (plus some piggy-back weights if you have any) - normal flow in the slower, deeperstretches, (which are better for bream), you can usually hold bottom with a 30gm open-ended feeder, but might need more dependent on river strength/level, and, of course,which pegyou draw. Always worth having caster/worm available - a good bet for bream in particular. I just like totry something different from time to time- hence the rubber corn presented on a helicopter rig - seems to work well, and keeps hooklink tangles to a minimum.