Look what the wind washed up!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
fred-bonney-albums-barbelfisher-picture3505-2013-04170007.jpg

Had a wander down to the lakes today without my rods ,just to have a look around and found these floats up against the bank of the windward side.

Anybody have any idea what they may be, no makers name clear plastic with brass insert in the base with a small removable screw.
Nothing else attached so no obvious way of attaching to the line, unless I suppose you can fit a suitably sized swivel?

Thoughts please, thanks

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Fred,

I'd dare to suggest they're part of multiple Pellet waggler sets you can buy from a number of retailers. I bought some from Chapman's of Scunthorpe and, given where you live, it could be where those came from.

I bought a dozen pellet wags for a tenner (from memory) - they were not exactly the same as those but very similar. No manufacturer's identities.

Hope it helps.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeh but, how do you fit them to your line?

They were just floating in the margins, no sign of line or attachments.
I also found a Preston Innovations 6g Dumpy Insert pellet waggler, it has a ring in it's brass base, so logical on attachment method it also has a couple of brass washers,which I assume are for loading adjustment?

Thanks by the way, my guess is the angler has more money than sense when it come to tackle preservation! I have to say that Chapman's is not on my radar for tackle purchase

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
As they're "freebies" why not try a bit of experimentation and see what you can do with them?

Regarding Chapman's, are they not good to deal with or something? I saw they were offering a reasonable looking TFG barbel rod with a free TFG centre pin. I was thinking about it.....:)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll have a go, they wont go to waste, probably if I can think of a way to connect them perhaps big river trotting ?

Nothing wrong with Chapman's to my knowledge, but Scunny is an hour from me so I stick with Casterline in Louth about 20 minutes away.

wagglechance

Reaction score
chapmans (scunny) was my 'local' for years, bit overpriced maybe, but if you wanted some technical bits, it WAS the place to go. then they opened a store in hull, and took ALL the stock there. if you're a footfall customer go to hull. if not buy online. chapmans of scunny has to redeem itself this year.
sorrry to moan but i went, needed some genesis line, they had none. sadly dissapointed. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The bad one

Reaction score
Fred remove the small screw drill with a 1mm bit fit a small split ring and a swivel. Waggler made.
Alternatively, remove the screw, find a longer screw 3/4 inch (appox) screw in, drop of super glue to stop it unscrewing and use a silcon float adaptor pushed on. Waggler made

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found one like that on one of my club waters while walking around on easter mondat it had no base conection in it perhaps this is a designe fault and they part company during use. Years ago the local boys on Southend pier would sell leads to visiting anglers with straight loops a few casts no lead on the line just a brass loop. the boys would pick up the leads off the flats at low water.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I introduced Dave on the stage at last years Barbel Show, he came across very well with his methods and the use of heavy BS line for trotting the big river.

He's there again this year giving another presentation.