Rod and rucksack--- anybody watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flightliner

Reaction score
Saw the second last night on Quest. fishing in Mongolia, last week it was in Canada.
Seems a really nice guy , a bit like Charles Rangely Wilson.
Anyone else watching/enjoying this very enjoyable series, Maybe one of the best angling shows i,ve seen on the box for years.:)

beerweasel

Reaction score
I've watched both and really enjoyed them.
I especially like the way he respects local traditions and beliefs, you don't get that with Robson.
I didn't envy him eating sheep's eyes and brains though.

flightliner

Reaction score
No clash with Robson ifnc.
BW. Yes, you're right, there seems to be a instinctive respect for those about him for the way they provide him with hospitality and the knowledge he requires to catch the fish he's after.
The sheeps eyes and brains tho, I'm afraid I may have baulked at those.
The locals lifestyles havent been compromised either, living in a tent in the middle of nowhere, come on, those solar panels and large flat screen tv must have been a prank!

john step

Reaction score
I watched the first one and decided that was enough.Perhaps I am being a bit harsh after reading the 2 previous comments, but I was irritated by the fact that with all that wonderful scenery and fish action most of the TV screen seemed to be of a full close up of his face with just a hint of what was going on behind him. No long shots - just all close up of a ego.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thought he was a refreshing change form that screaming Mary, Robson Greene. Will watch with interest where the series goes.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No clash with Robson ifnc.
BW. Yes, you're right, there seems to be a instinctive respect for those about him for the way they provide him with hospitality and the knowledge he requires to catch the fish he's after.
The sheeps eyes and brains tho, I'm afraid I may have baulked at those.
The locals lifestyles havent been compromised either, living in a tent in the middle of nowhere, come on, those solar panels and large flat screen tv must have been a prank!

No prank, they just aspire to the wonderful lifestyle of the Western World.

flightliner

Reaction score
Today's exquisitely patronised local, tomorrow's terrorist or dispossessed people. Reason why, back in the mid 1990s, after a couple of approaches to me, I told the BBC and an independent production company to stuff their offers of a Moi-fronted international fishy series.

Not sure quite how to interpret that Paul, it seems to convey that the reason people in remote areas that intrepid anglers wish to fish become "anti" is because you refused to front a fishing programme for the BBC or A N other and said people wouldnt accept anyone else?
The guy in "Rod n Rucksack" is really considerate of local customs and beliefs so why should it upset anyone.

paul80

Reaction score
I watched the first ten minutes of the first episode and quickly came to the conclusion that I don't like this sort of program, which is why I also don't like Robson Greens version or Cyril what's his name's one either.

Nothing against any of the programs just don't like sea fishing or all that false excitement.

Paul

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure quite how to interpret that Paul, it seems to convey that the reason people in remote areas that intrepid anglers wish to fish become "anti" is because you refused to front a fishing programme for the BBC or A N other and said people wouldnt accept anyone else?
The guy in "Rod n Rucksack" is really considerate of local customs and beliefs so why should it upset anyone.

I merely came to the conclusion thirty-one years ago - in both north and south India - that the travel biz can have a terribly corrosive effect on local communities, eating up and spitting out their people. This conclusion was further confirmed in 1989 when, I was very soon to see, I foolishly agreed to make a film about trout in Kashmir and the mahseer of the Ganges; a very nice film (I was the Consultant to the producers, so could liaise closely with them and their young, very capable and "issue sensitive" director) it turned out, but one that still "fired a starting gun".

Then there was a book in 1992, in which I articulated some of my feelings about the travel biz and the media (particularly in the South India chapter "Shadow Across The Sun"), about how they in many places can herald a new colonialism, a book that one wag (it might even have been me) once said of "launched a thousand shi*s".

I concluded another chapter in the same book with something I saw on a signboard at the entrance to Corbett National Park in the 1970s - "You are in the Realm of the Animals. Leave only Footprints".

Problem is, we fish- and experience-hungry sports and sorts don't.

flightliner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flightliner View Post

I merely came to the conclusion thirty-one years ago - in both north and south India - that the travel biz can have a terribly corrosive effect on local communities, eating up and spitting out their people. This conclusion was further confirmed in 1989 when, I was very soon to see, I foolishly agreed to make a film about trout in Kashmir and the mahseer of the Ganges; a very nice film (I was the Consultant to the producers, so could liaise closely with them and their young, very capable and "issue sensitive" director) it turned out, but one that still "fired a starting gun".

Then there was a book in 1992, in which I articulated some of my feelings about the travel biz and the media (particularly in the South India chapter "Shadow Across The Sun"), about how they in many places can herald a new colonialism, a book that one wag (it might even have been me) once said of "launched a thousand shi*s".

I concluded another chapter in the same book with something I saw on a signboard at the entrance to Corbett National Park in the 1970s - "You are in the Realm of the Animals. Leave only Footprints".

Problem is, we fish- and experience-hungry sports and sorts don't.

P, Thanks for your explanation.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 -------

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Some people would have you believe that fishing for mahseer was only invented in the 1970's.

Europeans have been fishing in and exploiting India for a long time, far longer than the modern angling tourist times. The writings of colonial anglers such as H.S. Thomas' 'A Rod in India' have been in English libraries since the middle of the nineteenth century inspiring many English sportsmen to venture to the sub continent in search of mahseer from that time. There is a virtually unbroken chain of writings on the subject from the 1850's to partition in the middle of the last century. The fish were still there in the same way that tuna still swam off the Yorkshire coast. It was the anglers who were absent not the fish.

In the 1970's a conservation project was set up to protect the southern Indian rivers from poachers using dynamite. This subsequently allowed many poorer areas to benefit from angling tourism when there was little else to sustain the economy. Some call it exploitation of natural resources. Others claim that it is conservation and economic survival. If left to itself I doubt that there would be any natural habitation left in India as they are following our footsteps and mistakes in their own Industrial Revolution.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I worked hard with those very same people in South India, the Wildlife Association of South India, in the 1970s, GENTLY, diplomatically advising them (Indians don't like former colonial power, know-it-all types telling them how it should be done) about many things. One of its top men, an Indian, lived not only in India (he headed the United Nations' Food & Agriculture Overseas project in Karnataka, a very able man) but also just down the road from me in west London - useful, very useful, we became friends and a lot got talked about and a lot got done. The river and the fish thrived.

Then, twenty years later, in the 1990s, a British fishing travel agent began paying clients' moneys due to the Association straight into its new general manager's British bank / building society account, defrauding the Association and causing a major scandal and court case in south India, with the result that the Association lost its waters (leased to it by the State Government) to a State-owned travel operator.

Nothing appeared to change: the Brits and foreigners continued to arrive in ever-increasing numbers year on year, the riverside fishing camps getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

But enemies were made, political (and some commercial) enemies, enemies that the old Association knew only too well and knew how to neutralise successfully.

The new kids on the block did not; didn't understand that camps full of beer-swilling foreigners were like a red rag to a bull to some in the State hierarchy...

So, Angling was banned in 2012.

Exit the mahseer, bombed to hell now that the rivers were no longer protected.

Shambolic. A disgrace. Both on the part of some Indians and of some very greedy Brits.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The writings of colonial anglers such as H.S. Thomas' 'A Rod in India' have been in English libraries since the middle of the nineteenth century inspiring many English sportsmen to venture to the sub continent in search of mahseer from that time. There is a virtually unbroken chain of writings on the subject from the 1850's to partition in the middle of the last century.

Yes. I probably have one of the best collections of old Indian fishing titles to be found anywhere (not all of the Indian titles, there are some dogs, particularly more recent ones, just the best), including a printer's typescript manuscript copy of H.S. Thomas's "other book", Tank Angling in India ["tank" meaning pool or lake] with the author's handwritten corrections in black ink. Books bought for pennies or a very few pounds well before the Gold Rush and the mass amnesia that appears to have now followed it.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the first two of Rod n Rucksack, and the second showed what can happen when local people's are empowered to look after and regulate their own interests .

flightliner

Reaction score
the travel biz can have a terribly corrosive effect on local communities,

It,s arguably a two way thing in these days of easier movement of folks between differant countries.
That said it,ll be interesting to see if our hero in the programme ventures forth in an attempt to catch a mahseer.:)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I can't abide this fashion of travel obsessed anglers visiting deprived countries and contributing to them taking onboard the advancements we in the Western world have made. Much better surely to keep them in a state of perpetual primitiveness and thereby safeguard our human zoos and the potential for future documentaries about the last indigenous peoples of the various countries of the world. Otherwise what are future Bruce Parrys or Ray Mears' going to have to make programmes about? :rolleyes:

(Smiley in correct context this time Sam. ;))

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't abide this fashion of travel obsessed anglers visiting deprived countries and contributing to them taking onboard the advancements we in the Western world have made. Much better surely to keep them in a state of perpetual primitiveness and thereby safeguard our human zoos and the potential for future documentaries about the last indigenous peoples of the various countries of the world. Otherwise what are future Bruce Parrys or Ray Mears' going to have to make programmes about? :rolleyes:

(Smiley in correct context this time Sam. ;))

So if the BBC came knocking and asked you to front a prog fishing for Nile Perch or Peacock Bass in Venezuela you'd tell them to go swivel? :wh

Status
Not open for further replies.