Who's had a rod dragged in?

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I have not had that misfortune, some near misses when I was a kid with tench; every time I bit into a sandwich I had a vicious take (pre bait runner days), wish I had more of those sandwiches now.

Anyway a angling friend of mine we were both around 13 years old were fishing for pike at a weirpool, he was deadbaiting I was spinning, when his rod went in whilst he was having a pee and vanished for good.....until the following week.

We went back to the weirpool and took turns on my spinning rod and he caught an 18lb Thames pike with his rod and reel still attached, a passerby took a picture of him with the Pike and sent this news into the local rag and even got into the Sun newspaper.

Despite all this luckily the Pike swam strongly off no doubt to have a good feed.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A fella told me that in Holland the police patrol the canals of a night with drags over the stern of the boat to catch anglers night fishing. Evidently they just drag the rods in and keep going thats what he told me.

aintreeangler

Reaction score
I had a top kit from a pole dragged in the first time I used it! I had just landed the very first fish I caught with it. I unhooked the fish in the landing net between my knees, dropped the bare hook down in front of the net and something took the BARE HOOK on the drop! The top kit went into the water like a spear, I lost sight of it when it disappeared under a floating island. I've never managed to make a top kit feel as good as that one since.

Karma paid me back though, I once found a snag in one of my club's lakes, I pulled a bit and the snag moved! I then 'landed' a Fox Warrior carp rod and a Shimano Baitrunner reel. I handed it to the bailiff and forgot about it, until a month or so later when the bailiff came and presented me with the rod and reel, nobody had owned up to losing the rod so it was mine! The reel was knackered but the rod has served me well!