Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who's had a rod dragged in?

It's nearly happened to me twice - once I fishing floating bread for carp and needed a pee,
    Leaving the rod on the bank I was peeing in the bush when I saw the rod being dragged across the grass, I managed to stand on the handle until I was zipped up and landed the fish
    The other time I'd set my rod up before I'd set up my landing net and as I was putting the net on to the landing handle the rod wrapped round and was pulled out of the rest - again I managed to grab the handle and land the fish
    Anyone lost a rod this way
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Default Re: Who's had a rod dragged in?

Came close last year. I was tackling down one rod and had left the float rod out. I`d flicked the bail arm off but unbeknownst to me a loop of line had slipped behind the spool and become entangled there. Caught the rod as it jumped forward in the rests. The fish that almost took it in was a carp of only around a pound.
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Not personally but my mate was bragging about his new top of the range rod, set it up with a big lump of meat on and started to put his other rod together, out the corner of my eye I saw his rod flying along the grass and into the lake, it then shot across the surface before sinking out of sight. The owner got the boat out but couldn't find it. He continued to look for ages, a long time later some one snagged it and handed it in. My mates language was a bit choice at the time !!!

chefster Guest

Fishing the pellet waggler at Clattercote,i had the rod resting across my lap and on the rod rest,turned around to give the baliff his 6 quid and whoosh!! it was gone right out to the middle,luckily still floating,i cast my baggin wag over it, on the second go i managed to hook the bale arm and reel it back in with carp still attatched! I,ve had top kits pulled in on several occassions and had to go swimming to retrieve them!!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Once....fishing hemp & caster on the Thames my roach swim died on me so I thought I'd try a bit of meat on the lead in case there was a barbel about. There was. My lead rod took off like a javelin and was very quickly bobbing about butt up in mid stream. Managed to snag it with a spinner on another rod and landed the barbel which was only about 3lb !

I've had the rod ripped out of me hand once or twice trouting and the reel jamming in the front rest has saved me a few times fishing the method. Not actually lost a rod yet though.

Blog Entries

Have had two carp on two rods at once - bit of a challenge

Happened once when I was a kid (about 12-13?)

I was out fishing with my old man - hadn't had so much as a bite all day... so didn't think twice about leaving my rod unattended I went for a sneaky tinkle in the bushes and when I came back my rod was gone! Me and the old fella spent ages looking round for somebody as we genuinely thought someone had nicked it! Anyways, about 15 mins later we found it floating near some reeds about 200 yards from my peg... luckily we managed to drag it in with the landing net and the fish was gone... Ah well - atleast it wasn't nicked!

Beats me why this should happen to anyone. Firstly, you endanger fish and other wildlife, secondly you lose expensive gear. It's laziness and bad angling really innit?

chefster Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Beats me why this should happen to anyone. Firstly, you endanger fish and other wildlife, secondly you lose expensive gear. It's laziness and bad angling really innit?
    Its called a moments lapse of concentration really innit-not always to do with bad angling ,unless of course you leave you,re rod unatended

Yes whooshed away of my lap and dragged across a pond until it reached a large area of lilies. Had to strip off down to my boxers and with a Swiss Army knife between my teeth l paddle out to get it back. Not knowing the depth I decided to keep my hat on and turn back if it started to float. Few inches below my chin when I managed to get hold of the rod butt and rescue it.
    I have to say probably the most stupid thing I ever done whilst fishing but at the time clear thing went out the window.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast