broken Rod bought on ebay

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice and wondered if anyone has had experience with dealing with a broken rod before?

I won an auction on ebay for a rod and received the rod and took it out of the tube, tried to assemble the rod to check it and that fell at the first hurdle it was missing part of the butt section and 2nd ring. I checked the tube for the remaining section and it was not in there.

Photographed the broken section and sent it to the sender, after a lot of apologies and a promise of a refund the seller had it picked up by a courier and now is refusing to refund because the rod is not the same as he sent it.

He has some proof because of the images he posted on the auction; however it doesn’t show it once he packaged it.

Mind you he is claiming within the case that he is “missing the broken section that he sent with the rod??” Hmmm either it was a slip of the keyboard or a bit of an error.

Anyway has anyone else had experience of this, both parties cannot agree so how do ebay usually sort this out? And in what favour.?

I have bought from ebay and forums before and never had a problem with a rod yet.

Cheers

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have 934 positive feedback (100%) and have never had a case like this buying or selling. I can only assume you get eBay to arbitrate and hope it goes in your favour.

However you could do a chargeback through PayPal and get your money back if you paid with a credit card. Check with your bank or card issuer if you can do that. It may get you your money back and leave the swindling buyer with egg on his face!

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I raised a a dispute in relation to a similar issue some time back (car part), the seller got to keep his money and ebay refunded me, they don't need the hassle, you are protected.

Pirate.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
I sold a camera lens once and the guy said it was broken and wanted a refund , it was so well packed that unless he had dropped it it could not have been damaged in the post, ebay made me give him a full refund and i had to take the broken lens back and loose nearly £400.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

Just make a claim through ebay, 95% of the time they will find in favour of the buyer. Just make sure you have a tracking number for the returned parcel that ebay can check on-line, if not you might be stuffed as without it you cannot prove you sent anything back and without sending it back, they won't refund you.

Paul

matt1969

Reaction score
I bought a Shimano baitrunner off EBAY and found the bailarm super glued into the mechanism.
It works ok but the pictures didnt show any marks or repair

aintreeangler

Reaction score
I bought a seat box once, the picture was of a brand new one, but a battered old one turned up! I raised a dispute and had to send a message that both the seller and PayPal (not actually eBay that deals with disputes, always use PayPal). The seller played along for a while but then stopped responding, PayPal found in my favour, refunded my money and said they would chase the seller for the debt. I sent a message to the seller offering to send the box back if they paid the postage, they ignored my so I fixed it up and kept it!

rains

Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice and wondered if anyone has had experience with dealing with a broken rod before?

I won an auction on ebay for a rod and received the rod and took it out of the tube, tried to assemble the rod to check it and that fell at the first hurdle it was missing part of the butt section and 2nd ring. I checked the tube for the remaining section and it was not in there.

Photographed the broken section and sent it to the sender, after a lot of apologies and a promise of a refund the seller had it picked up by a courier and now is refusing to refund because the rod is not the same as he sent it.

He has some proof because of the images he posted on the auction; however it doesn’t show it once he packaged it.

Mind you he is claiming within the case that he is “missing the broken section that he sent with the rod??” Hmmm either it was a slip of the keyboard or a bit of an error.

Anyway has anyone else had experience of this, both parties cannot agree so how do ebay usually sort this out? And in what favour.?

I have bought from ebay and forums before and never had a problem with a rod yet.

Cheers
Contact ebay should be in your favor

Terry D

Reaction score
Raise a dispute with eBay and you should get a refund. I also ended up with a broken rod about 3 yrs ago. It came in a strong plastic tube but I was moving house so it stayed packed up as it arrived. Didn't open it for 4 months, only to find the butt section had a break in it. No marks to the tube it came in so must've been damaged when packed. The seller denied this but because I left it over 3 months I couldn't claim for it - bummer, lesson learnt.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Ok thanks all the feedback it is not something I have encountered during 11 years buying and selling on and off on ebay I guess I was unlucky.

I will wait for ebay to be the judge and jury on this and will let you know.

Cheers