Snakes, Roach And Unhittable Bites

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Yes!

Kilnhurst DAA, £15 + £1.50 for the key. You get access to the Don at Kilnhurst, a fair section of canal and Baker`s pond which you can see here

Baker's Pond - Ravenfield Ponds - Coarse Fishing in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Not an adder a grass snake, although they look quite similar. The main difference is that adders are venomous whereas grass snakes aren`t.

Here`s one at the pond I`m talking about

11.jpg

Sorry DM I must have missed this somehow earlier. That's a cracking shot! A classic background and smashing composition. Well done!

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Why dont you just feed dead reds?

Have to agree with this.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Had a flash of inspiration today regarding the problem of maggots burrowing into the silt. Thought I might try feeding boiled rice dyed red with food colouring. Anyone ever tried it?

It's worth figuring whether there is actually any silt at the point where you are fishing. I've seen a couple of waters drained down and seen very deep silt in parts (the sumps of the water) , with other bits (tops of shelves especially) with no silt at all so there might be a hard bottom where you are fishing - try plumbing with a pole and different plummets. There are waters with uniform silt as well and this may be the case with your water but don't bet on it. Worst case I had was being pegged in a corner of a now filled in section of the famous Ringwood Half Pit which was being used for gravel washing and we were in the corner where the washings came in. It took a while but a heavy plummet revealed 8ft but the depth was really 2ft so soft was the silt. No fish in that corner!

dangermouse

Reaction score
It's worth figuring whether there is actually any silt at the point where you are fishing. I've seen a couple of waters drained down and seen very deep silt in parts (the sumps of the water) , with other bits (tops of shelves especially) with no silt at all so there might be a hard bottom where you are fishing - try plumbing with a pole and different plummets. There are waters with uniform silt as well and this may be the case with your water but don't bet on it. Worst case I had was being pegged in a corner of a now filled in section of the famous Ringwood Half Pit which was being used for gravel washing and we were in the corner where the washings came in. It took a while but a heavy plummet revealed 8ft but the depth was really 2ft so soft was the silt. No fish in that corner!

Cheers Mark. Certainly in the few pegs I`ve fished there has been silt present in all of them. I think it`s pretty much across the entire pond but I always plumb up and check before I start fishing.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Why dont you just feed dead reds?

Just brainstorming Chef. If it worked it would be a better option, certainly a cheaper one at any rate. I`m hoping I can get some old stock off my bait supplier at minimal cost and if I can I won`t bother with the rice.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Cheers Chris, Jerry, and everyone who contributed to the thread. I ended up with some great advice and the bonus of some zig rigs. Never used a zig, I`ll have to give them a try next time I go up to my local.