Dumb question about molasses

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Sorry:eek:

What does molasses smell like?

I ordered a jar and it arrived and had leaked, the jar was well wrapped so didn't cause too many problems.

After investigating where the leak had come from, I couldn't see any reason for the leakage except the cap.

The thing is, the smell coming from it is not like what I thought molasses smells like, in fact it smells more Chinese curry like, sweetish, but not sweet, I bought it from an online Indian spices supplier, along with some other treats for me and the fish:w

Shouldn't it smell like burnt sugar?

I'm puzzled, I haven't bought it for so long and it just threw me.

B

binka

By the sounds of it I don't think you're too far out with the leakage smell, i've used a few different sources over the years and found a variation ranging (in my own humble opinion) from weak Marmite to what I consider as Van Den Eynde's own interpretation of Turtle Wax!

Either way they've all caught fish :)

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
By the sounds of it I don't think you're too far out with the leakage smell, i've used a few different sources over the years and found a variation ranging (in my own humble opinion) from weak Marmite to what I consider as Van Den Eynde's own interpretation of Turtle Wax!

Either way they've all caught fish :)

Thanks Binka, huge sigh of relief:)

nicepix

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to go off very easily. There are two 1,000 litre tanks of it at the side of the barn opposite our house that they use for cattle feed supplement and it takes them about 9 or 10 months to empty one. It is also surprising how little they use. About 1 litre added per 250 kg of cereal feed.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Luckily, for me anyways, the wife and daughter use it in the horse feed and so always have some on tap so to speak. " ours" comes in gallon containers and lasts for ages as they only put a drop into the feed.

I use it in a glug mixture with fish oil (sunflower oil out of the tuna tin).

David Dalton

Reaction score
If you have ever used black treacle when cooking, you will have a very good idea of what molasses should look and smell like.