Fishing Etiquette. Am I right to be angry?

aintreeangler

Reaction score
So I went for a day on Rosemary Wood Fishery in Lydiate yesterday. I had decided to fish on my seat box with a pole even though I much prefer fishing on a nice, comfy chair with a rod!

So we got there early and I set up to fish in open water but got a rig ready for the lovely looking margin to my left. As I started in open water, the skimmers were all over the bait but I stuck at it even though on this occasion I was after carp. All the while, I was trickling pellets into my lovely margin swim and there were definate signs of carp moving in and churning up the mud of the lakebed. I was looking forward to dropping my bait in there!

Then, well after 9am, two blokes turn up, at this time there were plenty of pegs free but one of them set up right next door! These pegs were close together too! His mate even seemed shocked by his choice of peg, saying "you STILL going in THAT place?". "Ok" I thought, not ideal but I can live with this. But then he set his seat box up, sideways on his peg, facing me!!!

The bloke the proceeded to plumb up in MY margin swim! All day he did quite well in the swim I had been feeding for about 3 hours (apart from when he stopped for a nap), using an elastic that seemed far too light (whenever a skimmer pulled 10 feet of elastic from the pole tip). He played at least a couple of fish virtually under my peg!

I switched to the method feeder and caught well, maybe that is the difference between me and the swim-snatcher, I'm good enough to have a plan b, you think?

So, am I right to be a tad annoyed or what?

Last edited:

aintreeangler

Reaction score
Good point, from the way he kept looking at me, he knew what he was doing so I doubt saying anything would have helped. I just can't get my head around how anyone could even set up their box DIRECTLY FACING the angler in the next peg?!?

aintreeangler

Reaction score
Fronting him up? I'm not about to have a fight over a patch of water! So, please explain to me how having a fight or a slanging match would have improved my day?

guest61

Reaction score
Fronting him up? I'm not about to have a fight over a patch of water! So, please explain to me how having a fight or a slanging match would have improved my day?

Who said anything about a fight? In my book fronting him up is little more than saying 'Hey, do you mind? I've been baiting that area..' neither do you have to have a 'slanging match' at least you've told him.

If its a club water it may be worth telling the club sec, if its a commercial it may be worth telling the owner. But if you're not going to say anything other than on this forum how does this other angler know that he's breaching 'your' rules of peg size or personal space?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

It wouldn't! Confrontation is rarely productive as it just sours your day, even if you are the "winner"

Just another lesson learned that some so-called anglers are ar$eholes.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would have had to say something. I wouldn't have been so inconsiderate to behave like that and I wouldn't expect it from others. I would just asked him before he set his gear up, why if there is a flipping great lake with plenty of free swims he felt the need to fish in my pocket. I think he would have moved. You didn't have to threaten to punch his lights out but just explain the errors of his way. lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Indeed, but does doing nothing at the time and having a moan about it on a forum after improve your day in any way?

You really don't have too many options. You either say something at the time and risk a confrontation or say nowt and quietly fume. Personally, I'd go the third route of avoiding any commercial water (as Rosemary Wood happily admits to being) whenever the sun comes out, particularly in the school holidays or round a bank holiday period.

aintreeangler

Reaction score
Who said anything about a fight? In my book fronting him up is little more than saying 'Hey, do you mind? I've been baiting that area..' neither do you have to have a 'slanging match' at least you've told him.

If its a club water it may be worth telling the club sec, if its a commercial it may be worth telling the owner. But if you're not going to say anything other than on this forum how does this other angler know that he's breaching 'your' rules of peg size or personal space?

Where I'm from, to "front" someone is to challenge them to a fight. I assume from your wording here that I am the only angler who objects to having someone turn up and fish virtually under my nose!

It's called 'etiquette'. Nothing to do with MY rules or personal space. It wasn't you next to me yesterday, was it?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just being Devil's Advocate but did the offending angler see you baiting the swim?

I would imagine that a margin swim between 2 pegs is equally fishable by both anglers up to half-way, unless there is a rule/precedent for each angler only margin fishing to his left or right?

Maybe he was a regular and that margin swim was his favourite and that's why he set his box up that way?

If he saw you baiting the swim, then he's an ignorant t!t. If not, then it's a very grey area.

guest61

Reaction score
I assume from your wording here that I am the only angler who objects to having someone turn up and fish virtually under my nose!

You assume what you like. It was your choice to fish a water where the pegs are close together and his right to fish next to you, deal with it at the time, or don't, it your choice.

It wasn't you next to me yesterday, was it?

Thats really funny.

aintreeangler

Reaction score
You assume what you like. It was your choice to fish a water where the pegs are close together and his right to fish next to you, deal with it at the time, or don't, it your choice.

So it's my fault for having the nerve to choose that venue? I suppose if a plane crashes into my house then that will be my fault too? You know, for buying a house there in the first place?