Funny or plain Dumb Fishery rules and mis-smellings

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No method feeders...

Pellet feeders are OK though.. Err hang on, just a different shaped method feeder? Fishery pellets only...Errrm, right OK.....

aintreeangler

Reaction score
I went to a fishery last week and the rules board said:
No groundbait
No bread
No boilies
Pellets as hook bait only (no loose feeding)
No meat
No hooks
No fishing

I made the last two up but talk about being restricted. I had to fish all day with half a pint of maggots, everything else in my bag was banned!

chav professor

Reaction score
MMmmmmm..... all in the aid of fish welfare:eek:mg: Avoid such places like the plague. Mind you, I suspect that my experiences of fishing a free 'estate' lake (Housing estate lake) might go some distance towards why some rules are nesesary...

Some actions of the 'anglers' are so anti social... bonfires, piking without traces, ****ing about with buzzers at top volume, shooting rats with air rifles, chucking rubbish on the bank AND in the lake, shouting to their mates, one Mrs having an absolute blazing row at an errant husband who wished to escape the obvious discomfort of her presence (that was actually very funny - he went home to a series of jeers).

Aside from common sense - one over-riding rule I would love to see enforced is 'No @r$eholes'...... Probably the hardest of all rules to enforce - essentially the definition is in the eye of the offended.

Its not all fun and games being a Chav:rolleyes: Mind you, get to pretty much pick and choose when I go - its not too difficult to avoid the dross.... School holidays are a no nio....

S

steve2012

I always find the 'no bread' rule amazing. People have been using bread for centuries. Not half as bad as ten tons of pellets

Fishery pellets only are a superb way of making more money out of unsuspecting visitors

The only rule I want to see actually enforced is 'NO LITTER'

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm always amazed at the "Please take your litter home" signs

That's not goign to happen with every angler (it should) - better the owners put up some rubbish bins and ask anglers to put rubbish in them

barbelboi

Reaction score
Do not change swims unless you take your tackle with you.

The owners reserve the right to introduce additional rules without notice should the need arise. These additions apply to all anglers without exception.

Jerry

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Welcome to Angel of the North fishing Lakes

Basic Rules & Welfare

Basic Rules & Welfare Code of Angling Practice at Angel Lakes

We do not want to offend anyone, however No Beginners, Sea or Game anglers converting to coarse fishing are allowed fishing on Angel lakes unless they have been with an Angel Lakes angling coach and deemed competent.

Please Note. All Fish are Catch and Return Alive to the Water

All our rules are Common Sense! The main rule is minimum handling = maximum conservation

A Current EA License is required for all anglers over 12 years old it must be shown before fishingm
All anglers & Guests must report, pay and sign in at reception prior to going to the lake you have chosen to fish, dip your landing nets and unhooking mats, no swapping of lakes once you are fishing.

Rule No 1 Every angler must have balanced coarse tackle and terminal tackle, & use it correctly, An unhooking mat, landing net (kite marked) Klin-ik antiseptic & disgorger at all times, NO Feeder or Ledger rod to be used as a float rod, no spinning rod, beach rod, boat rod etc.
Rule No 2 Any Angler who Swings any fish of any size in, or handled the fish back to water (all fish caught must be brought in & returned to the water using a landing net) or caught or reported breaking the rules will be asked to leave the fishery

Rule No 3 All nets, mats, weight slings, must be dipped in the chemical dip tank for 10 minutes,
Then rinsed in the fresh water tank, the tanks are by reception, a mangle is also there to extract water from mats if required.

Rule No 4 Barbless hooks only max size 12 minimum 18, minimum line strength of 8lb on Bowes and 6lb Lookout, and 4lb on Bassetts. Minimum hook length of 15 inches and 5lb strength. All ledger and feeder rigs must be free running. NO fixed Rigs, No Method Feeders, No Zig Rigs, No Braid allowed (main line or hook lengths)
Poles min recommended elastic of 10 + 5lb hook length, No floating pole.
Angling foundation approved landing nets only, no keepnets to be used by pleasure anglers.
When returning fish to the water in a net please allow enough time for fish to recover before releasing it. If a fish is deep hooked then cut the line close to the mouth, do not pull at the line or repeatedly attempt to disgorge – just cut the line.

Rule No 5 No swapping of lakes, due to possible cross contamination and therefore bio-security, Fishing is from constructed pegs only. Anglers must reel in if you leave your peg.
No Stalking of fish

Rule no 6 Do not damage plants on bankside or surrounding area, on site toilets must be used,
All under 16s must be accompanied by an adult unless authorised
All anglers must keep to footpaths provided.
No Alcohol allowed on site and any angler caught with alcohol will be asked to leave.

Please report any case of injured fish or wildlife to a member of staff
We would ask all anglers to take rubbish home or place in the bins at reception.

We request you DO NOT USE electronic bite alarms, or have them turned down, for fellow anglers concentration .
Finally take nothing but memories and leave nothing but Footsteps-enjoy!!!!

Bait Rules
FEED-Angel sinking feed pellets only, or maggot, worm, caster, hemp, groundbait is allowed except on Bassetts pond.
• NO OTHER FEED Pellets TO BE USED except Angels own!!!!
• NO feeding of sweetcorn, NO feeding of luncheon meat,(only as hook bait),
• No bloodworm, joker, No nut based bait. No powerbait.
• Oct to April no oil based bait of any kind including trout pellets.
• No Cat or Dog or any animal- Feed, Meat, Complete, Extruded.
• No Floating or sinking biscuit.
• No bread, punched, sinking, floating or crumb.
• No artificial or plastic baits.
• No Floating Bait.(Except fly fishing on Bowes July & August).
• No boilies of any size or description,no pop up boilies.
• Hook baits allowed are maggot, caster, worm, paste, sweetcorn, expander and hookable pellets, Luncheon meat cubes.

Please follow the BAIT rules for the welfare of the aquaculture therefore the fish’s habitat!

Then of course there are the CCTV camera's all over the place; swing a fish in, no matter how small, or even scratch your &rse and your off!!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is exactly the reason I don't go to commercials.

The syndicate I'm a member of has one rule, "Don't be a ****!".

xenon

Reaction score

Basic Rules & Welfare

We do not want to offend anyone, however No Beginners, Sea or Game anglers converting to coarse fishing are allowed fishing on Angel lakes unless they have been with an Angel Lakes angling coach and deemed competent.

Please Note. All Fish are Catch and Return Alive to the Water

All our rules are Common Sense! The main rule is minimum handling = maximum conservation

A Current EA License is required for all anglers over 12 years old it must be shown before fishingm
All anglers & Guests must report, pay and sign in at reception prior to going to the lake you have chosen to fish, dip your landing nets and unhooking mats, no swapping of lakes once you are fishing.

Rule No 1 Every angler must have balanced coarse tackle and terminal tackle, & use it correctly, An unhooking mat, landing net (kite marked) Klin-ik antiseptic & disgorger at all times, NO Feeder or Ledger rod to be used as a float rod, no spinning rod, beach rod, boat rod etc.
Rule No 2 Any Angler who Swings any fish of any size in, or handled the fish back to water (all fish caught must be brought in & returned to the water using a landing net) or caught or reported breaking the rules will be asked to leave the fishery

Rule No 3 All nets, mats, weight slings, must be dipped in the chemical dip tank for 10 minutes,
Then rinsed in the fresh water tank, the tanks are by reception, a mangle is also there to extract water from mats if required.

Rule No 4 Barbless hooks only max size 12 minimum 18, minimum line strength of 8lb on Bowes and 6lb Lookout, and 4lb on Bassetts. Minimum hook length of 15 inches and 5lb strength. All ledger and feeder rigs must be free running. NO fixed Rigs, No Method Feeders, No Zig Rigs, No Braid allowed (main line or hook lengths)
Poles min recommended elastic of 10 + 5lb hook length, No floating pole.
Angling foundation approved landing nets only, no keepnets to be used by pleasure anglers.
When returning fish to the water in a net please allow enough time for fish to recover before releasing it. If a fish is deep hooked then cut the line close to the mouth, do not pull at the line or repeatedly attempt to disgorge – just cut the line.

Rule No 5 No swapping of lakes, due to possible cross contamination and therefore bio-security, Fishing is from constructed pegs only. Anglers must reel in if you leave your peg.
No Stalking of fish

Rule no 6 Do not damage plants on bankside or surrounding area, on site toilets must be used,
All under 16s must be accompanied by an adult unless authorised
All anglers must keep to footpaths provided.
No Alcohol allowed on site and any angler caught with alcohol will be asked to leave.

Please report any case of injured fish or wildlife to a member of staff
We would ask all anglers to take rubbish home or place in the bins at reception.

We request you DO NOT USE electronic bite alarms, or have them turned down, for fellow anglers concentration .
Finally take nothing but memories and leave nothing but Footsteps-enjoy!!!!

Bait Rules
FEED-Angel sinking feed pellets only, or maggot, worm, caster, hemp, groundbait is allowed except on Bassetts pond.
• NO OTHER FEED Pellets TO BE USED except Angels own!!!!
• NO feeding of sweetcorn, NO feeding of luncheon meat,(only as hook bait),
• No bloodworm, joker, No nut based bait. No powerbait.
• Oct to April no oil based bait of any kind including trout pellets.
• No Cat or Dog or any animal- Feed, Meat, Complete, Extruded.
• No Floating or sinking biscuit.
• No bread, punched, sinking, floating or crumb.
• No artificial or plastic baits.
• No Floating Bait.(Except fly fishing on Bowes July & August).
• No boilies of any size or description,no pop up boilies.
• Hook baits allowed are maggot, caster, worm, paste, sweetcorn, expander and hookable pellets, Luncheon meat cubes.

Please follow the BAIT rules for the welfare of the aquaculture therefore the fish’s habitat!

Then of course there are the CCTV camera's all over the place; swing a fish in, no matter how small, or even scratch your &rse and your off!!

i thought this was a wind up-jesus wept.

tincatim

Reaction score
That's very extreme! I bet they charge you the earth as well?
Looking at the bait bans I'm wondering what the fish actually get to eat!

guest61

Reaction score

Basic Rules & Welfare

Basic Rules & Welfare Code of Angling Practice at Angel Lakes...Blah Blah..

If these are the 'Basic' rules I wonder what the 'Advanced' rules are like?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score

Basic Rules & Welfare

We do not want anyone fishing, having fun, catching any fish, enjoying themselves, however:
All anglers & Guests must report, pay and sign in at reception prior to going to the lake you have chosen not to fish.

Once you've decided this is not for you, go home and tell no-one, we need the funds to keep us in jobs making silly rules up.

I think this must take the prize:confused: