Help with Rod repairs

P

Philip Inzani

I am rewhipping some rings on one of my rods but it is one of those with really high build vanish over the rings..particularly the butt ring which is a real pain to remove. I have tried standard varnish remover but its not really doing the job and now have to try and chip it away bit by bit.

Any ideas for a good/quick way to do it without ruining the blank ?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
As far as I am aware the only way to shift that stuff is to carefully scrape it off.
Varnish removers will not work as it is epoxy resin similar to araldite...Best of luck!

P

peter webber

Philip
Have you tried asking at your local tackle shop if they can help?
If they do repairs then they should be able to help.

S

Simon Ford

Try a small amount of paint stripper which you can get fro most diy shops.
It worked for me when i had to ut a new eye on one of my rods:)

P

Paul Williams

Philip, i have "cut" that stuff off....with a very sharp craft knife cut into the ring whipping at the point where the feet meet the blank, obviously making sure not to damage the blank, sometimes you can then get to lift the whipping and pull it and the resin off in one, it doe's work sometimes but it depends how hard the resin is.

P

Paul Williams

PS if the blank look's a bit yuk when you have got the rings off don't dump em, Wilkinsons sell a lovely matt black plastic coat in spray form, it gives the rods that look that some rod makers call "stealth finish"!!!!!! if you can't get it in Le Wilko's give me a shout if you want some.