fake baits and critical balance.

wagglechance

Reaction score
i like to drop a fake bait or pop up in the the edge to check how it looks on my rig. can anyone tell me though if the the bouyancy of a pop up style bait would be altered by depth? i'm testing my bait in 6 inches of water then casting into say 15ft. just something i've wondered about from time to time!

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Technically yes, but what that means in reality is another matter. Probably very little though even in 15ft of water. It will depend on how critically you have counter-balanced the pop-up and what forms the buoyancy in the pop-up / fake bait; air will squash and become less buoyant at lower levels.

At the end of the day, we cast a bait out and hope it's in the right place and the fish see it as a food item for them, if what you are doing is working then great, if not back to the drawing board:mad:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Boyles Law: P1V1=P2V2

So at 15ft where the water pressure is approximately 1.5 atmosheres the volume of an unrestrained quantity of gas would be around 2/3 of that of the same quantity of gas at the surface. The plastic of the bait will resist compression a bit, but I'd guess that the buoyancy would be reduced by around 25% at 15ft.

Gives you an interesting problem! A bait that is critically balanced at 15ft would probably float at 1ft. :w

markhib

Reaction score
Is the point of a critically balanced bait to negate the weight of the hook and make the hookbait feel the same as the free offerings? If so, surely the depth doesn't matter. Or is it to have a bait hovering just off the bottom with a neutral density? In which case we may need diving equipment, or a physics degree.
Serious question.
Mark

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
And also will only apply if every item of fake bait is identical in boyancy , fake caster , maggot , corn , boilie , whatever it then becomes a ten fold problem.
To be realy sure the only way is to go to your local swimming baths they normally go to around 12 or 15 feet take some fake bait setups with you and test them yourself , thats if you can find a swimming pool manager willing to let you do it of course. And if your willing to go to those lenghts to catch a fish lol.

wagglechance

Reaction score
Boyles Law: P1V1=P2V2

So at 15ft where the water pressure is approximately 1.5 atmosheres the volume of an unrestrained quantity of gas would be around 2/3 of that of the same quantity of gas at the surface. The plastic of the bait will resist compression a bit, but I'd guess that the buoyancy would be reduced by around 25% at 15ft.

Gives you an interesting problem! A bait that is critically balanced at 15ft would probably float at 1ft. :w

sweet jesus on moped! it was just something i pondered about whilst staring at the sun mate. i didnt know susan boyle was so talented!
thanks for replies boys some good points raised.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
A bait that is critically balanced at 15ft would probably float at 1ft. :w

Ah, now we have two problems:

1) If something floated at 1ft, how does it get to 15ft?

2) If something sinks at 15ft, how does it get up to 1ft to float?

sorry:eek:

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
i think what is meant is that if you took a piece of lets call it foam just for the purpose of this experiment to make the foam float 1 inch off the bottom at 15 feet it would need to be 25 mm in diameter but to make the same piece of foam float 1 inch off the bottom at 1 foot depth would only need to be 15 mm diameter. Therfore you would prob need 1 piece of plastic sweetcorn at 1 foot and 2 pieces at 15 foot so to speak , if you follow , know what i mean, cos i aint not an expert.

laguna

Reaction score
If its critically balanced in the margin just double up the buoyancy if fishing in 10ft water - near enough for a wafter :thumbs:

johnnyfby

Reaction score
All depends if said bait is compressable absolutely or partially, then again if the item has no Air in it and floats naturally then it should be ok at any depth. ie a fake maggot. Also if your working in atmospeheres then its worked out in metres. ie 1 bar absolute is the surface pressure 2bar @10m, 3 bar @ 20m.. etc

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
All depends if said bait is compressable absolutely or partially, then again if the item has no Air in it and floats naturally then it should be ok at any depth. ie a fake maggot. Also if your working in atmospeheres then its worked out in metres. ie 1 bar absolute is the surface pressure 2bar @10m, 3 bar @ 20m.. etc

Just when I thought I had it sorted:D Got my trunks out and everything:eek:

Seriously, is 0 bar outside the atmosphere (which kinda makes sense.)