John Hepworth RIP

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FishingMagic are saddened to learn of the death of Chub Study Group stalwart John Hepworth, a regular poster on this forum, a fine angler and an inspiration to many chub anglers.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

Celebrate his life by going out and catching a big chevin...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That is really very sad to hear.

John was once a very regular contributor here on FM and he will be very sadly and deeply missed.

My condolences to his friends and family

R.I.P. John

chav professor

Reaction score
Deeply saddened to hear of john's passing. John was an inspiration in more ways than just his skill as a fisherman. He was a friend and gentleman.. He will be sadly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Rest in Peace John...

campbelldog

Reaction score
A more knowledgeable and giving angler you'd be hard placed to find. He helped me no end with advice and information, when I was starting out coarse fishing the North Eastern rivers some years ago. RIP John.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
That is very sad news, although I personally did'nt know John, he always came across as a very nice, sincere, and genuine person.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Very sad news. My sincere condolences to John's family.

Makes you feel mortal, get out there and catch one for John this weekend. Don't waste it.

Hope that there are massive chub in the great river in the sky.

Stu

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I knew John quite well and he will be sadly missed.

My sincere condolencies to his family.

Bob

Windy

Reaction score
A great poster and contributor of quality. A loss to us all.

Condolences to all of the family, remembrances of a man we all held in respect.

The bad one

Reaction score
I knew John quite well from my SAA days I'm saddened by his passing. A nice Guy who's company and posting on here I enjoyed. John worked tirelessly for the CSG despite his poor health over the last 10 or so years.

So my condolences to his family and friends who I know, like I, will miss him dearly.

RIP John

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John.

Never met the man.

But two things about him.

The first is inconsequential, about an Avon Quiver rod that he had from me in the late 1980s and which he continued to declare to be the "best ever" chub leger rod until very recently, even landing him a 'verminous' 13-lb sea-trout on one occasion from his native River Wear, until he smashed it off-river somehow.

Second: how he always got stuck into the snotty flyboys, both in committee and online, who poo-ed on anything not wearing sexy and expensive spots on the same river and those who coarse-fished for them, and those flyboys who tried to grab more and more new stretches as sea-trout became fashionable and the new big money's new salmon.

With you, John. All the best.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
John.

Never met the man.

But two things about him.

The first is inconsequential, about an Avon Quiver rod that he had from me in the late 1980s and which he continued to declare to be the "best ever" chub leger rod until very recently, even landing him a 'verminous' 13-lb sea-trout on one occasion from his native River Wear, until he smashed it off-river somehow.

Second: how he always got stuck into the snotty flyboys, both in committee and online, who poo-ed on anything not wearing sexy and expensive spots on the same river and those who coarse-fished for them, and those flyboys who tried to grab more and more new stretches as sea-trout became fashionable and the new big money's new salmon.

With you, John. All the best.

John did a lot behind the scenes for the good of coarse angling. Funny you mentioned that Paul, I have one of John's Avon Quiver rods which now sadly holds more significance.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Not having been a member of the Chub Study Group for some years I did not know about John passing away until talking to a friend, Terry Brindle, a couple of days ago.
I kept in touch with John after leaving the group but hadn't spoken to him for a few months.
He was a really nice guy and great company, a sad loss for angling. He was one of the few people I never heard anybody say a bad word about and really enjoyed his fishing, although this had been somewhat limited in recent years due to mobility problems.
My thoughts are with his family.
RIP big fella, I hope you catch the biggest chub in the sky.