Life in Angling Series

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fred,

It is a fishing site, metaphorically bait was cast, and taken.

Sadly it was deemed necessary to re-bait the same old waters and surprise surprise the bait was taken again.

A classic case of 6 to one and half a dozen to the other.

Let's all leave it at that, shall we?

jack sprat

Reaction score
Londoner John Wilkinson was picked for England mid 70s after some terrific results but ended up reserve.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Fred,

It is a fishing site, metaphorically bait was cast, and taken.

Sadly it was deemed necessary to re-bait the same old waters and surprise surprise the bait was taken again.

A classic case of 6 to one and half a dozen to the other.

Let's all leave it at that, shall we?

The bait is mostly spam though

flightliner

Reaction score
South yorkshire was full of greats that never made headlines out of the area-- well-- not much.
Tommy Evans-- Mr works sports.A match that was held every year consisting of 1500 steelmen along the entire match length of the Witham (Bardney to landgrick) where you could get odds of 500 to 1 on yourself.
He won the match twice amongst many other impressive match wins.
a better result than Jim bazleys two nationals in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Would they find anything to talk about? [/quo

Would they even find an audience?:eek:hno:

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
As Flightliner said earlier; the South Yorkshire area has produced some cracking match anglers and many of those were characters worthy of an interview. Remember that these guys put their reputations on the line week after week and their successes and failures were recorded in full public scrutiny. No hiding places and no place for self-promoting bull-poo! People like Dennis White and Tommy Pickering have been at the top of the tree since the 1970's and are still there. That is reputation.

The one I would really have liked to see is Ivan Marks, a top-flight angler for three decades and a first rate character. He even defected to Barnsley. That's how good he was! :D

Would they even find an audience?:eek:hno:

Well, they would definitely have one watching. If he could find a friend with a TV that is. ;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Londoner John Wilkinson was picked for England mid 70s after some terrific results but ended up reserve.
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Jack. I reckon you will have the info somewhere. Brian Heliwell - sheffield angler was picked to fish in the england squad around that time, I fished with him in the eastern counties winter league programme for the old and now defunct Sheffield Amalgamated AA.
Any chance of the exact year?. I think it was the early seventies.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Brian Hallewell fished for England in 1967. Bill Bartles fished that year as well. Up until 1971 inclusive the England team was nominated by the top 5 teams in the previous year's National, usually the top scorer in each team.

Post 72 other Southerners selected apart from those already mentioned include Jimmy Randell and ****ie Carr.