Quiver/avon tip.

aebitim

Reaction score
Recent river leger thread brought me to think about when does a quiver tip become an avon tip. I use both tip types and have cut down quivertips in the past to make them perform as I want them to.
For me touch leger requires a stiffer tip than static rest techniques
But not always as low flow slack line touch legering with a quivertip can be deadly.
Any thoughts chaps

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can't say that I've ever seen an Avon top much less than 0.5lb TC. I've not seen a quiver tip rated higher than 6oz. That might suggest that the crossover is somewhere between 6 and 8oz. However, even if you found an Avon tip with the same rating as a quiver, I'd expect them to have different actions. A quiver tip doesn't suddenly become an Avon tip just because of a high rating (and vice versa).

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Fair enough lets say 7oz then, good point about the actions, Ive been experimenting with shortened quivertips and some are probably around the 10oz mark, very good for letting me know what the bottom of the river is like and was wondering why they have so much more feel than an avon tip.
Wood and trees spring to mind
Many thanks

nicepix

Reaction score
Tim, on the rare occasions that I touch ledger I look for a rod tip that isn't going to absorb any indication.

As for quiver versus Avon; I reckon a quiver has a totally different action to an Avon tip. You can bend a quiver back to its base but try that on an Avon and you'd need a new one :D

aebitim

Reaction score
Tim, on the rare occasions that I touch ledger I look for a rod tip that isn't going to absorb any indication.

As for quiver versus Avon; I reckon a quiver has a totally different action to an Avon tip. You can bend a quiver back to its base but try that on an Avon and you'd need a new one :

Just tried it on my cut down quiver tip and I need a new one . . .

nicepix

Reaction score

As for quiver versus Avon; I reckon a quiver has a totally different action to an Avon tip. You can bend a quiver back to its base but try that on an Avon and you'd need a new one :

Just tried it on my cut down quiver tip and I need a new one . . .

:D

The quiver tips have a more even load spread whereas a conventional rod tip loads progressively more because of the increased diameter and / or wall thickness. The longer the distance the load is spread over the more sensitive (and less prone to breakages) the tip should be.

Reaction score
Is it also the case that an avon top is wrapped on a mandrill and is effectively hollow (although the hollowness becomes negligible nearer the tip), whereas a quiver tip is solid throughout?

aebitim

Reaction score
:D

The quiver tips have a more even load spread whereas a conventional rod tip loads progressively more because of the increased diameter and / or wall thickness. The longer the distance the load is spread over the more sensitive (and less prone to breakages) the tip should be.

The solid construction thing may be the key, I find that about a third removed from a heavy tip seems to be about right fortunately I have a fair selection of pre busted ones to experiment with.