Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 85
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    300 yards from the Wensum!
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep at the loss.
    Quite a fan of the old Long Trotting is our John
    Real Ale Alliance

  2. #12

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    One for the late Steve Jump of Badlands:

    I met her on the strip three years ago
    In a Camaro with this dude from L.A.
    I blew that Camaro off my back and drove that little girl away
    But now there's wrinkles around my baby's eyes
    And she cries herself to sleep at night
    When I come home the house is dark
    She sighs "Baby did you make it all right"
    She sits on the porch of her daddy's house
    But all her pretty dreams are torn
    She stares off alone into the night
    With the eyes of one who hates for just being born
    For all the shut-down strangers and hot rod angels
    Rumbling through this promised land
    Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea
    And wash these sins off our hands
    Tonight tonight the highway's bright
    Out of our way mister you best keep
    `Cause summer's here and the time is right
    We're goin' racin' in the street
    Last edited by Paul Boote; 23-09-2013 at 23:27.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Domus in colle Lincolnshire Wolds
    Posts
    13,833
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I couldn't say either way.



    I doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep at the loss.


    Yep he's gone, just this last week.

  4. Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    There is no case whatsoever for culling Otters.
    Whoever thinks otherwise needs to face facts.
    Otters are here to stay and the overfed fisheries need to install their own fences, cut down their stocks of fish or face predation by a legally protected species.

    Throughout Europe Otters are strictly protected (anglers also 'crop' the fish) and their fishing doesn't seem to suffer so perhaps our European partners can teach US something?

    I would support a controlled cull of Cormorants however and the sooner the better!

    .
    Well said.

    I’d sooner the EA spent my licence fees and taxpayers money on dealing with cormorants, mink, pollution and water abstraction which in my view are a far bigger threat to our sport than otters.

    On a general level, otters were here long before over stocked carp puddles and before barbel began to be stocked in rivers (and now still waters) that were never their natural habitat.

    For me at any rate, fishing is about more than catching fish, its enjoying the natural world and taking a delight in the creatures than inhabit it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south yorkshire
    Posts
    6,485
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Leaving the "shall we shan't we" argument to one side for a moment, both Otters and mink are viscious little killers.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Deep in the Black Country
    Posts
    3,915

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    both Otters and mink are viscious little killers
    And only one is an indigenous species
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wessex
    Posts
    2,175

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Leaving the "shall we shan't we" argument to one side for a moment, both Otters and mink are viscious little killers.
    "Viscious (sic) little killers"

    Why use such emotive and completely ridiculous words?

    An Otter kills for food, not for 'sport', that's something reserved for us humans.
    Even when contesting a territory a male Otter will only bite its opponent in a manner that disables its penis, it doesn't kill it viciously or otherwise even though it could.
    The North American Mink is genetically programmed to kill and store prey items for the long freezing winters of its native homeland, the reason why they kill more than they can eat in late autumn and winter.
    Both species kill their prey cleanly and effectively using as direct a method as possible.

    Neither species is 'vicious' unless threatened, unlike the today's youth who seem to delight in 'sticking the boot' into the face of a helpless or unconscious individual, now that IS vicious!
    .
    .

  8. #18

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    "Viscious (sic) little killers"

    Why use such emotive and completely ridiculous words?

    An Otter kills for food, not for 'sport', that's something reserved for us humans.
    Even when contesting a territory a male Otter will only bite its opponent in a manner that disables its penis, it doesn't kill it viciously or otherwise even though it could.
    The North American Mink is genetically programmed to kill and store prey items for the long freezing winters of its native homeland, the reason why they kill more than they can eat in late autumn and winter.
    Both species kill their prey cleanly and effectively using as direct a method as possible.

    Neither species is 'vicious' unless threatened, unlike the today's youth who seem to delight in 'sticking the boot' into the face of a helpless or unconscious individual, now that IS vicious!
    .
    .



    Sorry but that is just not correct, if they only kill for food why is it that they will kill and eat a very small part of the kill only to leave the rest of the kill to rot?

    The problem with otters has not been caused by the otters themselves more by interference from do gooders who had no thought as to the concequencies of their actions.

    Otter populations were recovering quite nicely ON THEIR OWN and would have continued doing so without interference and within the confines of what the ecology could stand, the situation now is false caused by humans and should be corrected by humans.
    i think thats what they called me.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wessex
    Posts
    2,175

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by the blanker View Post
    Sorry but that is just not correct, if they only kill for food why is it that they will kill and eat a very small part of the kill only to leave the rest of the kill to rot?

    The problem with otters has not been caused by the otters themselves more by interference from do gooders who had no thought as to the concequencies of their actions.

    Otter populations were recovering quite nicely ON THEIR OWN and would have continued doing so without interference and within the confines of what the ecology could stand, the situation now is false caused by humans and should be corrected by humans.
    I am correct.
    The Otter kills its prey and eats the part it requires to satisfy it requirements, humans also do the same, but a shark will eat everything.
    The fact that an Otter likes freshly killed food rather than old or rotting is not exclusive to Otters.

    It is a scientific fact that Otter populations were NOT recovering 'quite nicely' (whatever that is meant to mean) on their own, there were small isolated groups but these were small and a recovery through the natural process was impossible.

    You say that Ecology would have limited the natural spread of Otters to within the confines of what it can stand.
    Well if that is the case then we can expect Otters to die out in those areas where the Ecology cannot support their presence, and you will have nothing to worry about

    The situation is not false, unlike fisheries so overstocked that if anglers stopped fishing them the fish would die of starvation.

    .
    Last edited by mick b; 26-09-2013 at 10:04.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,697

    Default Re: The case for culling Otters

    Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    An Otter kills for food, not for 'sport', that's something reserved for us humans.
    Much as I'm not a cull advocate, I've read plenty that suggests that otters do kill for reasons other than nourishment. It's certainly not true that man is the only killer that does so for reasons other than food. Cats and foxes have been filmed killing, toying with victims, playing with corpses and not taking a single mouthful. That may not be for the human construct reason of "sport", but it isn't for food either.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Otters
    By pikingpirategramps in forum Predator Fishing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-02-2011, 19:14
  2. Otters
    By Morespiders in forum General Fishing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 13:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •