The Queens back garden for me. Anyone fishing this weekend?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
In the shadows of the amazing Windsor castle is where I'll be this Sunday. A beautiful stretch of the Thames at Old Windsor. Fished there twice last autumn and bagged on wagg and magg down the middle. Kipper Dace and quality roach. Can't wait to get back for our club match (URACS) this Sunday.
Anyone else fishing this weekend?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the shadows of the amazing Windsor castle is where I'll be this Sunday. A beautiful stretch of the Thames at Old Windsor. Fished there twice last autumn and bagged on wagg and magg down the middle. Kipper Dace and quality roach. Can't wait to get back for our club match (URACS) this Sunday.
Anyone else fishing this weekend?

The location of some of my earliest, serious, river fishing as a kid in the 1960s, from the towpath by the Church and the Lock right down through Runnymede. Great but sometimes demanding (light line, little hooks) float fishing even then; nice to hear that it's still doing the same. Had my all-time best catch(es) on elderberry (roach) there, right below the Datchet road bridge where there was a big elder bush. Many years after my first efforts on the river, I bought a house and lived in O.W. for a few years. Some very nice memories.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The location of some of my earliest, serious, river fishing as a kid in the 1960s, from the towpath by the Church and the Lock right down through Runnymede. Great but sometimes demanding (light line, little hooks) float fishing even then; nice to hear that it's still doing the same. Had my all-time best catch(es) on elderberry (roach) there, right below the Datchet road bridge where there was a big elder bush. Many years after my first efforts on the river, I bought a house and lived in O.W. for a few years. Some very nice memories.

That's brought back memories, remember fishing that stretch in the late 60's/70's - believe we used to park in the Wheatsheaf? car park across the road and walk down the footpath to the lock.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I fished the Potts Meadow at Old Windsor last autumn - for the first time in nearly 30 years. OK, but mostly small dace and roach. The water was a lot shallower than i remembered and a couple of huge willows had appeared during the intervening years. It does make you feel old when a tree has come along and become fully grown while you have been away - but willows are quicker growers than most.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:)OLD WINDSOR/RUNNYMEDE NAMES THAT BRING BACK MEMORIES OF VERY
HAPPY DAYS,IT WOULD SEEM THAT LIKE MANY OF YOU THESE PLACES ARE
WHERE WE SERVED PART OF OUR ANGLING APPRETASHIPS MINE WOULD ALSO INCLUDE EATONWICK,MAIDENHEAD,OXFORD AND ALL PARTS INBETWEEN,TOOK MY FIRST BARBEL AT OLD WINDSOR.DID ANY OF YOU
FISH THE YEARLY MATCH RUN BY GUILLOIDS TACKLE SHOP IN SLOUGH?
SUCH GREAT DAYS IF ONLY ONE COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK.
TIGHT LINES
HUNTERS MOON:):).

at the end of every fishing trip leave only footprints.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Never did the Guillods match HM but used to fish the LAA matches (Wealdstone Piscatorial Society - Ruislip branch) in the 60’s, mainly the Thames (Sonning, Pangbourne etc) and Theale on the Kennet – steel rule and all......It was amazing how many used to fish with all their gear fitting easily into the boot of the coach.
Jerry
PS Back on thread - not fishing this weekend, out tomorrow and a few days next week.

nicepix

Reaction score
I'll be taking Little Wife off to the airport in an hour or so so will have two weeks on my own. :) That's the good news. Bad news is that I've gt a list of jobs a mile long to get through including fitting a kitchen and decorating a whole house. :(

At the moment the priority is the kitchen, but as soon as Little Wife is on the plane that will change to getting my fishing room ready i.e installing a rod rack, cupboards and work bench :D

I'll probably manage a day fishing on Sunday though. If things go as planned I'll try for some catfish and zander at one of the large lakes. It's becoming muggy and overcast now so that will be the best option I reckon.

PH

Reaction score
Whooppee! Yes, and it will be the first time I've fished this year, leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks in France. Just looking forward to the experience with no expectations other than to enjoy myself.

aebitim

Reaction score
Got an invite to fish the Hants Avon Saturday, perhaps the Stour Sunday if I can wangle it. Bit of bass fishing this eve if the wind picks up.

john step

Reaction score
All that talk of the Thames and the coach outings. Am I the only one who used to catch 7 inch roach when they had to be 8 inches to weigh in at matches?
Thee quarters of what you caught put back. Very frustrating.

B

binka

Hoping to be out both days, not too sure where or what for as yet but at least one day on the river all being well.

hunters moon

Reaction score
never did the guillods match hm but used to fish the laa matches (wealdstone piscatorial society - ruislip branch) in the 60’s, mainly the thames (sonning, pangbourne etc) and theale on the kennet – steel rule and all......it was amazing how many used to fish with all their gear fitting easily into the boot of the coach.
Jerry
ps back on thread - not fishing this weekend, out tomorrow and a few days next week.

:):)i can remember the coaches coming down the bath road full of
expectant matchmen every sunday to fish the thames at maidenhead
did you ever fish the sounding arch stretch and yes it was truly
amazing how they managed to get all that gear and themselves
into those coaches steel rule and all........
Good luck for tomorrow.
Hunters moon:):).

C

chefster

I have an open match at Tofts Carp Lake on Saturday,draw 11am,fish 12-5 pm,then working sunday.....hopefully TBF on weds, and a match thurs,but not too sure the venue,as i could,nt make todays match due to work-so i am out of the loop!!....Probably be one of the last chances to fish Tofts this year ,as it closes until march-for shooting....Cheers then Chef

badgeroo

Reaction score
family down for party tonight:w:w: but will be gracing the banks of the apex lake tomorrow with my lad (badger98) He has beat me last two fishing trips carping so, will be giving the pole a go. will be using sweetcorn, pellets and compressed bread and hopefully will pick up some roach, skimmers, bream and possibly a carp or two. Won't bother with maggots as there are a lot of bootlaces taking them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
I love Old Windsor too. Haven't been for a while. Used to park down by the sports club, but car park full of plonkers doing burn-offs, etc (where they spin their wheels and leave big black marks on the tarmac - great hobby, eh? Trashing tyres for no purpose) after dark. A bit worrying if one of them loses it and wipes out my jalopy. Still fish Windsor Racecourse stretch and Datchet (Civil Service ticket). Used to like fishing under the railway bridge. Some nice barbel after dark.