Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Queens back garden for me. Anyone fishing this weekend?

In the shadows of the amazing Windsor castle is where I'll be this Sunday. A beautiful stretch of the Thames at Old Windsor. Fished there twice last autumn and bagged on wagg and magg down the middle. Kipper Dace and quality roach. Can't wait to get back for our club match (URACS) this Sunday.
    Anyone else fishing this weekend?

Default Re: The Queens back garden for me. Anyone fishing this weekend?

Phew, thought you were doing the pond at Buck House for a minute Simon.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    In the shadows of the amazing Windsor castle is where I'll be this Sunday. A beautiful stretch of the Thames at Old Windsor. Fished there twice last autumn and bagged on wagg and magg down the middle. Kipper Dace and quality roach. Can't wait to get back for our club match (URACS) this Sunday.
    Anyone else fishing this weekend?

The location of some of my earliest, serious, river fishing as a kid in the 1960s, from the towpath by the Church and the Lock right down through Runnymede. Great but sometimes demanding (light line, little hooks) float fishing even then; nice to hear that it's still doing the same. Had my all-time best catch(es) on elderberry (roach) there, right below the Datchet road bridge where there was a big elder bush. Many years after my first efforts on the river, I bought a house and lived in O.W. for a few years. Some very nice memories.
    Last edited by Paul Boote; 02-10-2013 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boote View Post
    The location of some of my earliest, serious, river fishing as a kid in the 1960s, from the towpath by the Church and the Lock right down through Runnymede. Great but sometimes demanding (light line, little hooks) float fishing even then; nice to hear that it's still doing the same. Had my all-time best catch(es) on elderberry (roach) there, right below the Datchet road bridge where there was a big elder bush. Many years after my first efforts on the river, I bought a house and lived in O.W. for a few years. Some very nice memories.
    That's brought back memories, remember fishing that stretch in the late 60's/70's - believe we used to park in the Wheatsheaf? car park across the road and walk down the footpath to the lock.
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

I fished the Potts Meadow at Old Windsor last autumn - for the first time in nearly 30 years. OK, but mostly small dace and roach. The water was a lot shallower than i remembered and a couple of huge willows had appeared during the intervening years. It does make you feel old when a tree has come along and become fully grown while you have been away - but willows are quicker growers than most.
    Real Ale Alliance

Smile Re: The Queens back garden for me. Anyone fishing this weekend?

OLD WINDSOR/RUNNYMEDE NAMES THAT BRING BACK MEMORIES OF VERY
    HAPPY DAYS,IT WOULD SEEM THAT LIKE MANY OF YOU THESE PLACES ARE
    WHERE WE SERVED PART OF OUR ANGLING APPRETASHIPS MINE WOULD ALSO INCLUDE EATONWICK,MAIDENHEAD,OXFORD AND ALL PARTS INBETWEEN,TOOK MY FIRST BARBEL AT OLD WINDSOR.DID ANY OF YOU
    FISH THE YEARLY MATCH RUN BY GUILLOIDS TACKLE SHOP IN SLOUGH?
    SUCH GREAT DAYS IF ONLY ONE COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK.
    TIGHT LINES
    HUNTERS MOON.

at the end of every fishing trip leave only footprints.

Never did the Guillods match HM but used to fish the LAA matches (Wealdstone Piscatorial Society - Ruislip branch) in the 60’s, mainly the Thames (Sonning, Pangbourne etc) and Theale on the Kennet – steel rule and all......It was amazing how many used to fish with all their gear fitting easily into the boot of the coach.
    Jerry
    PS Back on thread - not fishing this weekend, out tomorrow and a few days next week.

I'll be taking Little Wife off to the airport in an hour or so so will have two weeks on my own. That's the good news. Bad news is that I've gt a list of jobs a mile long to get through including fitting a kitchen and decorating a whole house.

At the moment the priority is the kitchen, but as soon as Little Wife is on the plane that will change to getting my fishing room ready i.e installing a rod rack, cupboards and work bench

I'll probably manage a day fishing on Sunday though. If things go as planned I'll try for some catfish and zander at one of the large lakes. It's becoming muggy and overcast now so that will be the best option I reckon.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Smile Re: The Queens back garden for me. Anyone fishing this weekend?

Whooppee! Yes, and it will be the first time I've fished this year, leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks in France. Just looking forward to the experience with no expectations other than to enjoy myself.

Got an invite to fish the Hants Avon Saturday, perhaps the Stour Sunday if I can wangle it. Bit of bass fishing this eve if the wind picks up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast