John wilson emigrating?

laguna

Reaction score
I thought he'd already gone too??
Des Taylor's farewell tribute in this weeks AT apparently.

out tomorro and not to be missed.Its a big goodbye to my friend John Wilson in there and theres 50 of his best tips plus interview a great read.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Many people are annoying on television, no less John Wilson. However, IMO he was a genuine guy who did a great deal for angling via his books and videos etc. He saw a niche and filled it and nobody can blame him for making a few bob along the way.
I have several of his ' How to ' books and they are invaluable if only to refresh ones memory of baits and rigs from past times.

Yes, his laugh could become OTT at times but that didn't, IMHO detract from his love of the sport and his undoubted skill in putting good fish on the bank, and, lets face it, most of us ordinary mortals would've loved to have caught as many big roach and other species as he did - well, it's true in my case anyway!!

I really do wish him well in whatever he does in the future and thank him for the honest contribution he made to angling.........

ps I did write to him on a couple of occasions and he answered fully with great info...............'speak as you find' comes to mind. Some on here might try seeing past the 'laugh' and judge him for what he did for others and where they stand in those stakes.................

symonh2000

Reaction score
I loved watching John Wilson when I was a youngster.

He has made a living doing what he loves doing and you have to admire him for that.

nicepix

Reaction score
I still think that John Wilson was the best angling TV presenter I've seen. I hope that he finds what he is looking for and enjoys his fishing for many years to come.

slaphead

Reaction score
My eldest son (now 34) began his fishing life watching JW, I know his laugh can be a little annoying but you can't doubt his enthusiasm nor his contribution to fishing.

Good Luck John.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
What I really enjoyed about John Wilson was the 'totally' self deprecating humour......

"Oh, its a Bream, definitely a Bream, here it comes, into the net, well would you believe it, it's a Tench"

How many of the 'popular' TV anglers would leave it in the finished programme

sumtime

Reaction score
I've always preferred Wilson to the rest of them, his laugh does grate on me :( and I think at times he comes across as a condescending soul but I love the content of his series.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
So where's his OBE then?

They seem to hand them out willy nilly (hope that get's past the Mods!) to all and sundry so why not John who has spent a lifetime enjoying his fishing and giving others something to aspire to with a smile on his face....

On second thoughts maybe a step too far......

I think Merv Harrisons post just about covers it!!

ps Does anyone know who sells red Polo neck jobbies.......might just become a new trend in (the better parts) of south Bucks

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I very much enjoyed all of JW's TV output, excellent viewing and by far and away the best of it's type on the box.

I sort of got involved in a "debate" (in a river bank pub) when a few were denigrating him because "they knew for certain" all JW's swims had been prebaited for weeks in advance and others often caught his fish for him.

"What about the pike fishing?" I asked - must have been all newly stocked! And then the clincher to their argument ... no-one can catch that many fish in a 30 minute program. :)

I have several of his excellent books, fortunately met him a few times and will have to make do with TV repeats and Youtube, that's fine. Good luck to John and his family, I hope they enjoy a superb retirement.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I very much enjoyed all of JW's TV output, excellent viewing and by far and away the best of it's type on the box.

I would totally agree with that.

In fact his early programmes I think were some of the best tha tcombined fishing with all sorts of other observations and discussions.

Who can forget the conversation with Len Baker on his Chub fishing video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZ09bmY4UA]Go Fishing John Wilson - Chub Tench - YouTube[/ame]

He came to Karlstad in Sweden to make the film of fishing for Ide where we went down to watch. He completely ignored the local advise which was not to fish maggot but swet corn and on the first day all he could catch was Bream, Roach and Chub.

He packed up, none too happy and then they filmed the next day in a different swim closer to town and caught the ide they wanted.

All in all though, I think he did angling a great service with is books, films and personal appearances and wish him all the bst in his "retirement"

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Somewhere in a well-mothballed bag in a cupboard I have the two Billy Lane-style massive zip-up woolly pullover "jackets", one with a fish on the back blowing bubbles, the other with a giant reindeer, that my Ma knitted for me when I was a nipper. Half a century later I still haven't grown into them.

F

fugelstow

I met him recently and he very much had a bee in his bonnet about otter and the destruction they apparently caused to his ponds.
But more particularly about "those doing nothing about it"
He opened up more of course with several pinot grigio's, it didn't change my views about the man. He had and maintained his own honestly held beliefs.

I think he at the time did more to make fishing popular than any other, and so what if he had a silly laugh?
I'm sure we won't see another like him on angling TV ever again

eag1956

Reaction score
Good luck to him. He brought angling to the main channels on TV. Not many people can claim either to have made a good living at angling. I have used a JW 1.7 TC barbel rod for some time. It is strong, reliable and versatile with the interchangeable tops. I think it was such a good buy that I have just purchased a JW Travel Avon ready to do a bit of fishing on hols next year. I jumped in now as he is emigrating and I think the supply will soon dry up. I've tried it once on crucians and small carp. It is a nice rod especially at 49.99. I don't care if the tackle tarts wouldn't be seen dead holding one :D

I agree, I have got various different JW avon rods, ranging from one of his early "hand made" efforts, when he had his tackle shop in Norwich, through to the current travel versions in 1.25lb and 1.75lb TC. They are really good pieces of kit and compare well to other rods that I have, that cost 4 times as much. Hope that he is setting an example for certain other TV presenters to leave the country, as there are some really boring fishing programmes on at presnt (Matt Hayes - 24 hour yawn, for one).