Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: John wilson emigrating?

I very much enjoyed all of JW's TV output, excellent viewing and by far and away the best of it's type on the box.

I sort of got involved in a "debate" (in a river bank pub) when a few were denigrating him because "they knew for certain" all JW's swims had been prebaited for weeks in advance and others often caught his fish for him.

"What about the pike fishing?" I asked - must have been all newly stocked! And then the clincher to their argument ... no-one can catch that many fish in a 30 minute program.

I have several of his excellent books, fortunately met him a few times and will have to make do with TV repeats and Youtube, that's fine. Good luck to John and his family, I hope they enjoy a superb retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post

ps Does anyone know who sells red Polo neck jobbies.......might just become a new trend in (the better parts) of south Bucks
    Try ebay.

Jigsaw Men's Chunky roll-neck wool jumper | eBay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Maidment View Post
    I very much enjoyed all of JW's TV output, excellent viewing and by far and away the best of it's type on the box.
    I would totally agree with that.

In fact his early programmes I think were some of the best tha tcombined fishing with all sorts of other observations and discussions.

Who can forget the conversation with Len Baker on his Chub fishing video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZ09bmY4UA]Go Fishing John Wilson - Chub Tench - YouTube[/ame]

He came to Karlstad in Sweden to make the film of fishing for Ide where we went down to watch. He completely ignored the local advise which was not to fish maggot but swet corn and on the first day all he could catch was Bream, Roach and Chub.

He packed up, none too happy and then they filmed the next day in a different swim closer to town and caught the ide they wanted.

All in all though, I think he did angling a great service with is books, films and personal appearances and wish him all the bst in his "retirement"

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Somewhere in a well-mothballed bag in a cupboard I have the two Billy Lane-style massive zip-up woolly pullover "jackets", one with a fish on the back blowing bubbles, the other with a giant reindeer, that my Ma knitted for me when I was a nipper. Half a century later I still haven't grown into them.

fugelstow Guest

I met him recently and he very much had a bee in his bonnet about otter and the destruction they apparently caused to his ponds.
    But more particularly about "those doing nothing about it"
    He opened up more of course with several pinot grigio's, it didn't change my views about the man. He had and maintained his own honestly held beliefs.

I think he at the time did more to make fishing popular than any other, and so what if he had a silly laugh?
    I'm sure we won't see another like him on angling TV ever again

My apologies for interrupting this serious thread with an article about the current "hotness" of woolly jumpers. Note for those of a nervous or excitable disposition: features Nastassja Kinski.

Fluffy jumpers: fashion's hottest knits | Fashion | Fashion | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Good luck to him. He brought angling to the main channels on TV. Not many people can claim either to have made a good living at angling. I have used a JW 1.7 TC barbel rod for some time. It is strong, reliable and versatile with the interchangeable tops. I think it was such a good buy that I have just purchased a JW Travel Avon ready to do a bit of fishing on hols next year. I jumped in now as he is emigrating and I think the supply will soon dry up. I've tried it once on crucians and small carp. It is a nice rod especially at 49.99. I don't care if the tackle tarts wouldn't be seen dead holding one
    I agree, I have got various different JW avon rods, ranging from one of his early "hand made" efforts, when he had his tackle shop in Norwich, through to the current travel versions in 1.25lb and 1.75lb TC. They are really good pieces of kit and compare well to other rods that I have, that cost 4 times as much. Hope that he is setting an example for certain other TV presenters to leave the country, as there are some really boring fishing programmes on at presnt (Matt Hayes - 24 hour yawn, for one).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234