Wild thing...you make my heart sing...
    You make everything
    Groovy
    I said wild thing...

Wild thing, I think you move me
    But I wanna know for sure
    So come on, hold me tight
    You move me

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JuT43kaoUg]PROJECT WILD THING - Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

More:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ed-nature-rspb

http://projectwildthing.com/
    Last edited by Paul Boote; 16-10-2013 at 09:39.

Default Re: Fishing With Emma...

Dicky, I'll treat this as a serious discussion; I was going to bore the arse off you explaining in-depth the physiological differences between males and females which leads males to be of a greater likelihood of becoming anglers.
    But I've no inclination to.

If it's positive images of female anglers, your bunch of "proper fisherwomen" simply won't help, whereas someone like this covers all angles: http://ladiesfishing.files.wordpress...pg?w=300&h=287

Quote Originally Posted by cg74 View Post
    Dicky, I'll treat this as a serious discussion; I was going to bore the arse off you explaining in-depth the physiological differences between males and females which leads males to be of a greater likelihood of becoming anglers.
    But I've no inclination to.

If it's positive images of female anglers, your bunch of "proper fisherwomen" simply won't help, whereas someone like this covers all angles: http://ladiesfishing.files.wordpress...pg?w=300&h=287
    Thanks for treating a serious discussion as serious Colin... means a lot (and it was meant to be...)

Fancy me thinking that international success might inspire the younger generation in an Olympic stylee... doh!

I do take your point tho mate, and you are possibly right that youngsters would probably be more positively inspired by input from folk closer to their own age involved in more 'à la mode' areas of the sport like...

These People Et Al
    'I'm a kind of paranoid in reverse: I suspect people of plotting to make me happy...' (J.D. Salinger, 1919-2010)

Read the book before you judge is all I'd say. The artwork in the book is superb (the images of barbel, perch and pike for example are stunning) and the info is spot on.
    Ok, so the main protagonist is a woman, an attractive one as it happens. Get over it! Do you think the book would sell if it was "Fishing with Agatha"? There is very little flesh on display- and the protagonist is very much a positive female role model, catching the fish and putting some of the blokes in their place as she goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Garnett 2 View Post
    Read the book before you judge is all I'd say. The artwork in the book is superb (the images of barbel, perch and pike for example are stunning) and the info is spot on.
    Ok, so the main protagonist is a woman, an attractive one as it happens. Get over it! Do you think the book would sell if it was "Fishing with Agatha"? There is very little flesh on display- and the protagonist is very much a positive female role model, catching the fish and putting some of the blokes in their place as she goes!
    Hi Dom,

Long time no see mate. Hope you're well? How's Norbert?

Thank you for your stirring defence of your publisher but you seem to have missed/side-stepped the point... and, you know me mate' I am not about to 'get over it' in an intelligent debate... Seriously? Lol!

Compared to the quality of most of Merlin's output, this book is what it is...

Titillation mixed with a 'Crabtree'esque format... designed to appeal to the stirring hormones of early-teen male anglers. Yes it will sell, but that is not my point... the publisher and author are off-base with this release.

IMHO the author/publishers have missed a great opportunity to inspire young female anglers and have instead produced a product that whilst appearing to be the ideal intro for a female angler, instead manages to reproduce the kind of air-brushed/ manicured female stereotypes that are usually the domain of the tabloid press, FHM and their ilk.

Body image is a very serious contemporary issue among young girls growing up in today's society and the 'barbelling barbie' protagonist in this publication is ill-conceived and retrogressive to say the least in the context of this debate... It doesn't make any difference how much 'putting some of the blokes in their place' she manages to achieve along the way...

As you say tho, the fish pics are good for CGI illustrations...
    'I'm a kind of paranoid in reverse: I suspect people of plotting to make me happy...' (J.D. Salinger, 1919-2010)

Plus: I have a lot of time for Merlin. Lovely chap. Of the family that published Tolkien's wonderful Hobbit and L.O.R. The man who published C.Y.'s best and really real Angling book, The Deepening Pool. We had some great telephone conversations years ago, Merlin and I, as I did with a pal of his, another great publisher, formerly of Witherby (Falkus's publisher), David Burnett (who had the grace to phone me two days after Crazy River appeared 21 years ago, having been offered it two years earlier, to say "Oh my word ... well done!").

So, nothing personal.
    Last edited by Paul Boote; 16-10-2013 at 21:54.

I won a copy of 'Fishing with emma' in the raffle at the Yorkshire regional barbel society meet and so did Dave Mason, lets just say Dave wasn't too impressed when Rob Swindells walked back with it for him lol

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

The whole concept is utter tosh. I would be ashamed to be associated with this let alone own a copy.

Hello Dicky. Hey, I'm good thanks. Norbert has gone AWOL once again (surprise!), although we did have a fish late summer and the ****** had a cracking rudd after poaching my fly rod.
    Hmmm... and as for Emma, I guess we might have to agree to disagree. I just found some of the criticism a bit knee jerk. And yes, I have some bias here. I guess it's different when you know the bloke who wrote it. He's no male chauvinist- it's just tough when you hear people slag something off that you know somebody has put their all into.
    Perhaps it's not exactly representative of the "typical" female angler (certainly not in the Westcountry!), but I thought as a comic strip style offering it worked well.
    Anyhow, I think the best place to continue the discussion would be by a river at some point. It's been too long since I cast a line with you and Jim. Hope the fishing has been decent for you lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Garnett 2 View Post
    Anyhow, I think the best place to continue the discussion would be by a river at some point. It's been too long since I cast a line with you and Jim. Hope the fishing has been decent for you lately?
    Sounds good Dom, it has been a while. You're welcome up any time mate

I'll drop you a text when my river settles into decent autumn form... and we'll have a crack at finding that record

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast