Fishing With Emma...

B

binka

I noticed there wasn't a facility to add a comment on the feature... I wondered if they know us all to well and thought better of it?

I have to say that i'm completely baffled as to who the target audience is?

She can still double peg with me anytime... :D

Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a facility to add a comment on the feature... I wondered if they know us all to well and thought better of it?

You're right Binka hadn't noticed that...

Every other front page article has that 'add comment' link, and an auto thread in 'FM Features & Comments'....

Editorial oversight probably.... :cool:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks. Thinks "How can anyone get it so wrong with such a two decades too late, sub-Lara Croft knock-off?". Then retires to an Arapaima-, Asian carp- and otter-filled pool in Old Siam.

cg74

Reaction score
Is this thread for real?

Paul, you're beginning to become obsessed by otters, again. Take a few deep breaths to clear your mind before you post next, it might help.

nicepix

Reaction score
If it doesn't appeal to us oldies it might just be the sort of thing that youngsters identify with.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this thread for real?

Paul, you're beginning to become obsessed by otters, again. Take a few deep breaths to clear your mind before you post next, it might help.

Nope - I was just off again on my "riff of the day" Arapaima freak fish jag. This morning, thankfully, I find myself completely over it, clear-minded once more yet still convinced that if today's kids like that Emma offering, they can be counted on the fingers of a very few hands and are named Ben and Rory, are aged ten and living in a better bit of the Cotswolds when they're not at boarding school, and who know where to find pics of girls far "fitter than that".

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
null_zps5778b037.jpg

"So are you coming or what?"

Where did I put that fishing towel? :eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wild thing...you make my heart sing...
You make everything
Groovy
I said wild thing...

Wild thing, I think I love you
But I wanna know for sure
Come on, hold me tight
I love you

Wild thing...you make my heart sing...
You make everything
Groovy
I said wild thing...

Wild thing, I think you move me
But I wanna know for sure
So come on, hold me tight
You move me

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JuT43kaoUg]PROJECT WILD THING - Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

More:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/16/uk-children-not-connected-nature-rspb

http://projectwildthing.com/

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
****y, I'll treat this as a serious discussion; I was going to bore the arse off you explaining in-depth the physiological differences between males and females which leads males to be of a greater likelihood of becoming anglers.
But I've no inclination to.

If it's positive images of female anglers, your bunch of "proper fisherwomen" simply won't help, whereas someone like this covers all angles: http://ladiesfishing.files.wordpres...3_668272493_6508958_3244313_n.jpg?w=300&h=287

Reaction score
****y, I'll treat this as a serious discussion; I was going to bore the arse off you explaining in-depth the physiological differences between males and females which leads males to be of a greater likelihood of becoming anglers.
But I've no inclination to.

If it's positive images of female anglers, your bunch of "proper fisherwomen" simply won't help, whereas someone like this covers all angles: http://ladiesfishing.files.wordpres...3_668272493_6508958_3244313_n.jpg?w=300&h=287

Thanks for treating a serious discussion as serious Colin... means a lot (and it was meant to be...) :)

Fancy me thinking that international success might inspire the younger generation in an Olympic stylee... doh! ;)

I do take your point tho mate, and you are possibly right that youngsters would probably be more positively inspired by input from folk closer to their own age involved in more 'à la mode' areas of the sport like...

These People Et Al

Dominic Garnett

Trade Member
Reaction score
Read the book before you judge is all I'd say. The artwork in the book is superb (the images of barbel, perch and pike for example are stunning) and the info is spot on.
Ok, so the main protagonist is a woman, an attractive one as it happens. Get over it! Do you think the book would sell if it was "Fishing with Agatha"? There is very little flesh on display- and the protagonist is very much a positive female role model, catching the fish and putting some of the blokes in their place as she goes!

Reaction score
Read the book before you judge is all I'd say. The artwork in the book is superb (the images of barbel, perch and pike for example are stunning) and the info is spot on.
Ok, so the main protagonist is a woman, an attractive one as it happens. Get over it! Do you think the book would sell if it was "Fishing with Agatha"? There is very little flesh on display- and the protagonist is very much a positive female role model, catching the fish and putting some of the blokes in their place as she goes!

Hi Dom,

Long time no see mate. Hope you're well? How's Norbert?

Thank you for your stirring defence of your publisher but you seem to have missed/side-stepped the point... and, you know me mate' I am not about to 'get over it' in an intelligent debate... Seriously? :eek:mg: Lol! :)

Compared to the quality of most of Merlin's output, this book is what it is...

Titillation mixed with a 'Crabtree'esque format... designed to appeal to the stirring hormones of early-teen male anglers. Yes it will sell, but that is not my point... the publisher and author are off-base with this release.

IMHO the author/publishers have missed a great opportunity to inspire young female anglers and have instead produced a product that whilst appearing to be the ideal intro for a female angler, instead manages to reproduce the kind of air-brushed/ manicured female stereotypes that are usually the domain of the tabloid press, FHM and their ilk.

Body image is a very serious contemporary issue among young girls growing up in today's society and the 'barbelling barbie' protagonist in this publication is ill-conceived and retrogressive to say the least in the context of this debate... It doesn't make any difference how much 'putting some of the blokes in their place' she manages to achieve along the way...

As you say tho, the fish pics are good for CGI illustrations...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Plus: I have a lot of time for Merlin. Lovely chap. Of the family that published Tolkien's wonderful Hobbit and L.O.R. The man who published C.Y.'s best and really real Angling book, The Deepening Pool. We had some great telephone conversations years ago, Merlin and I, as I did with a pal of his, another great publisher, formerly of Witherby (Falkus's publisher), David Burnett (who had the grace to phone me two days after Crazy River appeared 21 years ago, having been offered it two years earlier, to say "Oh my word ... well done!").

So, nothing personal.

Last edited:

godsdice

Reaction score
I won a copy of 'Fishing with emma' in the raffle at the Yorkshire regional barbel society meet and so did Dave Mason, lets just say Dave wasn't too impressed when Rob Swindells walked back with it for him lol :D

Dominic Garnett

Trade Member
Reaction score
Hello ****y. Hey, I'm good thanks. Norbert has gone AWOL once again (surprise!), although we did have a fish late summer and the ****** had a cracking rudd after poaching my fly rod.
Hmmm... and as for Emma, I guess we might have to agree to disagree. I just found some of the criticism a bit knee jerk. And yes, I have some bias here. I guess it's different when you know the bloke who wrote it. He's no male chauvinist- it's just tough when you hear people slag something off that you know somebody has put their all into.
Perhaps it's not exactly representative of the "typical" female angler (certainly not in the Westcountry!), but I thought as a comic strip style offering it worked well.
Anyhow, I think the best place to continue the discussion would be by a river at some point. It's been too long since I cast a line with you and Jim. Hope the fishing has been decent for you lately?

Reaction score
Anyhow, I think the best place to continue the discussion would be by a river at some point. It's been too long since I cast a line with you and Jim. Hope the fishing has been decent for you lately?

Sounds good Dom, it has been a while. You're welcome up any time mate :)

I'll drop you a text when my river settles into decent autumn form... and we'll have a crack at finding that record :)