Urban myth

K

Kevan Farmer

Has anybody read Mr McMad's page in the April CF? It's a classic urban myth/legend. A revamp of the old cat pinches the salmon and is found dead later. Hubby also has some of the very same salmon on his sandwiches so a major rexcue is et in place because dear wifey thinks the salmon is off - big time. Poor hubby gets his stomach pumped while in reality the cat was hit on the head with a milk bottle - or in this case hit by the milk float. There are many variations on this one. I have even heard of a whole wedding crowd being rushed to hospital to have there stomachs pumped before the deadly salmon gets to work. This one has been going for decades. Urban myths are one of my other interests - ever heard the one about the dogs hanging up in the back of the Chinese restaurant or the one about the woman finding a 'microwave oven' by the side of the road? Which turns out to be a speed trap box.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yep Kevan,
Only Fools And Horses version is when Del and Rodney are looking after Boyce's dog and the dog takes ill, at the vets they say the dog had leftover pork for breakfast without heating it and the vet suspects salmonella poisoning. They phone Uncle Albert to get him to bring the rest of the pork to the vets only to find he's eaten it for lunch and so is rushed to the hospital for test and lots of proding. At the hospital the doctor gives Del uncle Alberts sleeping pills which are in the same type of bottle as the dogs vitimins. The punch line is that the dog was on sleeping pills and uncle Albert was on the Bob Martins.

K

Kevan Farmer

That's a classic Rodney. I remember it well.

Another good urban myth is the one about the giant pike in the park lake. Every town has that one I think.

Kevan