Tackle tart or Tackle tramp?

Reaction score
I know an angler who isn't what you would call a tackle tramp - he's more of what you would call a tramp. He is black listed from every church jumble sale in the North West.

Wilko

Reaction score
.........It's true the tackle does not catch the fish, then again a Skoda will get you from A To B, then again so will an Audi!.........

A very good analogy, but a Skoda is essentially, a rebadged VW!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've been called a complete Tackle Tart along with quite a few other things in my time.

The fact is, I truly enjoy using the best that I can afford, and being single that usually means the best that is available.

In the final analysis isn't that what life is all about?
Buying and using the best you can afford and enjoying it at the same time.

The analogy with cars is appropriate I think, both a Mini and a BMW 7 Series will get you from A to B, as will a Jaguar and a Fiat 500, but I know which one I would prefer to be driving, and if I am honest, which one I would prefer to be seen in as well . . . . . . . .

I suppose with fishing tackle there is an optimum point (or price tag) where only the tinyiest improvement will cost the proverbial "arm and a leg" I'd say the drag (clutch?) on an Abel reel falls into that category. A reel at half the price will obviously do the job, but those little refinements do cost an awful lot more.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy using it I'd say.

mick b

Reaction score
Sportex, Hornsea. Wow, now their's a blast from the past. Old Ray Webb did a field test on them, at Hornsea Mere no less. Needless to say most of us speci types in Sheffield had to have them, and used them. But I came to favour the Tag Barne's Carp rod, mainly for wobbling dead's, which we used to great effect on the South Forty Foot Linc's.

But I digress, good to hear that someone still finds a use for the Hornsea in this ultra cult age. Nice one Mick. :)

Hi Derek
Should mention they have been re-ringed twice and re-ferruled once :D
Lord knows where I would get a new pair of nickel silver reinforced ferrules from these days, Oliver's maybe?
I use 'em because they are still the best for a big fish close in, plus if the winds up a bit they remain in their rests.

If you remember the Hornsea/Tag Barnes rods then you will still have a few brass curtain rings around somewhere?
I bet that jogs a few more memories :eek:mg: ??

Wobbling deads on a Tag Barnes......you weren't one of those madheads hanging around with Wagstaffe were you?

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hi Derek
Should mention they have been re-ringed twice and re-ferruled once :D
Lord knows where I would get a new pair of nickel silver reinforced ferrules from these days, Oliver's maybe?
I use 'em because they are still the best for a big fish close in, plus if the winds up a bit they remain in their rests.

If you remember the Hornsea/Tag Barnes rods then you will still have a few brass curtain rings around somewhere?
I bet that jogs a few more memories :eek:mg: ??

Wobbling deads on a Tag Barnes......you weren't one of those madheads hanging around with Wagstaffe were you?

Hi Mick,
Tag originally gifted me one of his original Sportex carp rods. If you recall, they were built on a straw coloured blank. Some time later, perhaps a year, I was at the Angling show held in Sheffield, where Tag was manning the Sportex stand promoting the new Tag Barnes ''Super Carp MK2. During a lull in trade Tag asked me my impression's of the original rod. I don't know why, but I blurted out''It's the best pike rod I've ever used''. Tag looked at me with a pained look and replied,''such a versatile rod eh''. Bill Keal who was also present thought it was highly amusing. Good old Tag, he bore no grudge because as I was leaving he roped me in for a days piking on the River Hull

Happy days, and good company.

As regards Wagstaffe, I evoke the fifth amendment. :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a full blown tackle tart and own some of the finest tackle money can buy...oh, I know how to catch fish with it too!! :)

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I buy high quality gear then tend to keep hold of it for years.

I have a couple of Northwestern Rodcraft quivertip rods which I bought in 1981.

slaphead

Reaction score
Having taken up fishing again after a long gap, I decided to do it as cheaply as possible using Go Outdoors or Dragoncarp £10 quid specials.

I have used this tackle with some success but having now bought a John Wilson Rovex 11-13ft Barbel rod I can tell the difference in quality.

smufter

Reaction score
"Middle of the road" myself.
No affinity to one brand or another, will buy what I feel is a trustworthy name and go with it.
My rods were all bought second hand (Chub Outkasts) and I think I got all 3 for under £100.00.
They'll do for me
;)

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually buy rods and reels by recommendation and usually do my homework before I decide what I am going to buy, and they are not always the most expensive ones either as it depends on what I can afford at the time.

I also tend to stick to makes that are well known for producing good rods and/or reels like Drennan, Daiwa, Grey's, Hardy, Harrison's, Shimano, Okuma, Abu etc.

I have found in the past when I have handled or used cheap rods that the actions are often inferior; making using them an unnecessary chore to use; and I have had really cheap reels that have given up the ghost when put under any real pressure, and/or had inferior clutches.

However there are always a few exceptions as far as cheap rods are concerned, I bought my wife a commercial float rod made by Mitchell for £15 from a tackle show at Thorpe Park a few years ago which has been been a wonderful rod and caught both me, my son and my wife many good Barbel, Carp and Tench over the years and has a lovely action and a nice forgiving and fine tip; so if you look round it is possible to buy good gear for a few pounds, but you must know what you are buying and wade through lots of junk on the way.

Last edited: