Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Environment Agency is to shed 1,700 of its staff

Massive job cuts at the Environment Agency - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Overstaffed and under-resourced?
    Important work no doubt, but in case you're wondering what all those staff are doing with tiddler nets in the pool click the pic

Default Re: The Environment Agency is to shed 1,700 of its staff

I don't really think anyone will notice the difference!

That's the river Teme? We're doomed!
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Yeah, all this running the international economic "race" and going for Growth is bound to have its casualties. To hell with some organ of a now despised "bloated Fat Cat" State, let's trash the Country.

Government's growth drive means England's most treasured landscapes can be 'vandalised' by developers - Home News - UK - The Independent
    Last edited by Paul Boote; 29-10-2013 at 09:08.

pointngo Guest

I was at a lake last week when 4 EA blokes turned up in 4 different cars. They spent an hour or so chatting in the carpark then spent the next 3 hours checking 1 valve which consisted of opening it, watching water coming out the pipe, then closing it!

They then spent an hour chatting about what was on tv before they left.. they were right behind me so I heard every word.

with the low water levels on the lake there are a lot of big swan mussels exposed and one of them thought they were cockles!

so that's approx. 20 man hours to check one valve, along with 4 lots of petrol expenses!

I know they're not all bad but EA staff wasting money like this should be sacked. How can they claim underfunding when they throw money away?

Then again, look around almost any office. See the covert phone-users, the private emailers, the game-players, the asleep at their desk sorts - do as little as you can and get away with it; it's endemic, part of the national mindset and culture.

Blog Entries

Don't just blame them, blame the bosses that don't know what it is that there staff isn't doing.

Very much so, Steph - it is merely the result of the ancient contempt that British workers have for their well-salaried and -pensioned, often utterly hopeless bosses and masters.

pointngo Guest

I agree with you both to an extent; their bosses should be keeping a much closer eye on what the workers (cough) are or aren't doing but at the same time a lot of their work must be in relatively remote areas so they have to take their own responsibility for it.

in every job you're always going to get a few shirkers but this was wholesale timewasting. I'd assume that one of the 4 was a senior staff member so if they have no intention of controlling the staff whilst on site, and indeed are not doing any work themselves, there's not much hope. It shows that this time and money wasting is down to, and carried out by, several levels of EA staff. This is just one instance on one day.. multiply that by a percentage of 11,400 staff over a year and it runs into many millions being squandered.

You have to wonder who employs people who don't even know what a swan mussel is as well!?

It just riles me that they always quote underfunding as the reason for not checking licenses, following up on illegal fishing etc yet waste our license money like this.

I've long been of the opinion that rod license fees should be taken out of the hands of the EA and this just enforces my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boote View Post
    Yeah, all this running the international economic "race" and going for Growth is bound to have its casualties. To hell with some organ of a now despised "bloated Fat Cat" State, let's trash the Country.

Government's growth drive means England's most treasured landscapes can be 'vandalised' by developers - Home News - UK - The Independent

Interesting episode in the Radio 4 Shared Planet series today - Restriction and Choice.

Click this link to take you to a BBC page that will allow you to download the 28-minute 13MB programme - BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Best of Natural History Radio

If we want anything wild - fish or whatever - around in the future, we have got to start acting (and choosing and restricting ourselves in some cases) NOW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast