british army pattern 58 poncho

nicky

Reaction score
any one have one of these i bought one last week to use as my wet weather gear as my old coat is knackered only to discover that its not in the slightest bit waterproof :)

I read that they were really good so i don't know if i have just been unlucky as it is used surplus army stuff or if this is normal.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've slept under a few that were perfectly waterproof.:(:eek:;):D
However, they are a long, long way from a modern breathable fabric. Are you certain that what you got was water getting through rather than horrendous condensation?

nicky

Reaction score
its like bivvy material and i'm sure if taught and you didnt touch the sides would keep the rain off as a shelter but if you touched the sides they would be wet.

Im pretty sure it was water i wasnt walking sat still for half hour in a heavy downpour.

tried running some water on it under the tap and it comes through in seconds

sam vimes

Reaction score
its like bivvy material and i'm sure if taught and you didnt touch the sides would keep the rain off as a shelter but if you touched the sides they would be wet.

Im pretty sure it was water i wasnt walking sat still for half hour in a heavy downpour.

tried running some water on it under the tap and it comes through in seconds

The ponchos I was issued over the years were PVC backed. There was absolutely no danger of any water coming through the material.

nicky

Reaction score
it looks like the backing is still there but must be worn out or been washed or something i have complained and asked for a refund probably loose the postage i paid and may have to pay postage again to return it

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

did think about buying some fabsil or thompson waterseal read they both good for bivvies but worried im just wasting more money the taped seams also coming away around the neck and in hood

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must admit to owning an ex-Italian, one forward, seventeen reverse, Army Poncho (occasionally in the company of barbel and more often in that of hot women in wet weather), but am always inclined to think that Frank Zappa made the definite statement about them....

[ame=http://youtu.be/6diCm4x3iRg]Frank Zappa - Camarillo Brillo (Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A mate of mine works at FishTec/Airflow and he was very impressed with the one his company sells and it was under a tenner!

nicky

Reaction score
Class love frank zappa grew up listening to sheik yer bouti still one of my favourite albums ever!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Have to send me a link jeff mainly want it for fishing especially night fishing when i want to keep dry untill bed time :)

Wilko

Reaction score
We never, ever used them as a waterproof coat and were taught from basic training to use them as a cover to sleep under using luggage bungees to keep them tight. They were 100% waterproof.

I have a feeling it is as Sam said, the horrendous condensation caused by the vapour from your body as even sleeping under them would cause the inside to rapidly become wet, you would be far better off with some Goretex surplus gear; the Army has recently changed their camouflage gear over from DPM so there should be a glut of surplus coming on the market.

nicky

Reaction score
I dont think so as i wasnt in it long i was dry then it rained and i was wet

Wilko

Reaction score
Sounds odd, I have never come across one that leaked. We would also use them as bouyancy packs for river crossings, which would keep your bergan (in excess of 100lbs) afloat and completely dry. I would maybe accept a small leak but the sort of soaking you are saying you had would've seen the pack at the bottom of a river within a minute.

Is it definately a '58 poncho? Dark green, heavy duty nylon (will not rip unless you use a knife), quite heavy with pop studs on the edges and not a lightweight copy?

nicky

Reaction score
Yea thats it looks looks tuff anr genuine

nicepix

Reaction score
I've got a similar poncho to the one described by Nicky and it isn't an original ex MOD item. It's OK for light summer use, throwing over clothing and tackle for walking back to the car, and camouflage when shooting but isn't any good if you a relying on it for a waterproof cover for long periods of time unless pegged out tight as a tarp.

The original ex MOD ones have a waterproof backing as Sam as said earlier. You can also get a large sheet of the same material with multiple eyelets that doubles as a stretcher and tarp.

The poncho I favour for this time of year is an American PVC one. It is larger, heavier, 100% waterproof and much stronger fabric. It will however cause condensation as will all plastic garments. Wearing fleece underneath helps dissipate the moisture.

mick b

Reaction score
Yep I had one for years, brilliant bit of kit.

I once had a job where just sometimes I HAD to go out for long periods in very severe rain.
I had a full set of Barbour gear, Solway zipper, overtrousers, hood and hat but my old nylon poncho was far superior AND it kept my rifle and scope dry which is more the other lot did!

Don't chuck it way, and if you do I will have it off you!

nicky

Reaction score
did you ever rewaterpoof it mick

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Seems from everthing i read that it should be really waterproof shame i was going to use it for pike fishing in the winter

sam vimes

Reaction score
Seems from everthing i read that it should be really waterproof shame i was going to use it for pike fishing in the winter

There always a chance that, like plenty of gear that purports to be, it's not genuine MoD surplus stock. Alternatively, it might have been used and abused then washed. This could see the end of the plastic waterproof backing, leaving a nice shiny woven nylon sheet with the waterproof qualities of a sieve. The pre-Goretex issue DPM waterproofs also suffered this way. With heavy use, the backing would wear off.

pidgergj

Reaction score
cant go wrong with gore-tex jackets and trousers mate. 100% waterproof and the newest ones are breathable too.

nicky

Reaction score
It is the real deal im sure but maybe like you said been washed trying to get a refund but had no response yet :-(

mick b

Reaction score
did you ever rewaterpoof it mick 2

No just used and used it, it was unused when I received it and I gave it a pretty hard time but it never leaked either as a poncho or for a basha.

If yours leaks then it may be a copy, does it have the 'mark' anywhere?
If not its almost sure to be a cheapo copy ))-: