Advice on good thermos flask please.

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming please.

As a stopgap measure Im thinking of drilling a hole through the outside case and filling the extinct vacuum void with expanding foam from one of those aerosol thingies.

Anyone out there tried this?

I can see no reason why it shouldn't produce a workable insulation :confused: but I suspect that if foam was superior to vacuum the manufacturers would have used it years ago.

Still waiting for a response from Thermos regarding their Lifetime Guarantee :rolleyes:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I have one of these Aladdin Challenger Flask Stainless Steel 1.0 Litre Flask - �28.99 | Aladdin & Stanley Flasks and its a GREAT flask,last cup as hot as the first,it won best flask on the gadget show out of 100 flasks (or something like that) and they even tested it at one of the poles i think leaving it for 24hrs and the tea was still hot :)

I bought one of those under a year ago & 'til a fortnight ago it was great, but now it's kaput - I took it back to the store I bought it from who told me that it happens sometimes but not often & this is their best-selling flask. Obv I didn't keep the receipt so am wondering whether to go for same again or to try this which get's a shed load of ***** reviews...

syks

Reaction score
I bought one of those under a year ago & 'til a fortnight ago it was great, but now it's kaput - I took it back to the store I bought it from who told me that it happens sometimes but not often & this is their best-selling flask. Obv I didn't keep the receipt so am wondering whether to go for same again or to try this which get's a shed load of ***** reviews...

Thats unfortunate mate,ive had mine around 3/4years and still great :)

BarryC

Reaction score
Had my Stanley for about 5 years used and abused regularly in that time and still works perfectly.
One thing worth considering is the Stanley lifetime guarantee.
If it fails through regular use they will replace it however old it is.

pidgergj

Reaction score
A

alan whittington

I have three 1ltr glass alladin's,2 are unused spares,ive had 4 stainless flasks including the Stanley hammer finish jobby,all dont keep my drinks hot enough for me,despite preheating them,unlike the glass ones.

badgeroo

Reaction score
I use a 1 litre stainless steel flask from Morrison. It has a push button lid and keeps the coffee warm for hours. Oh and it cost £4.50!:wh::)

sumtime

Reaction score
My Thermos 1L ss flask has lasted quite a few years, always hot (as long as yer put boiling water in it for a while first). Mine is the flip up type after taking the cup off, not the one you depress.

john step

Reaction score
All I can say is thank goodness for the introduction of the stainless steel ones. God knows how many times I arrived at a venue to hear that tinkling sound of the glass sloshing around in the metal casing of the old style ones. It always seemed to happen on the coldest of days.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Please don't jump down my throat on this as I'm only offering an opinion.....

I've read one or two of the above threads that state, and maybe correctly so, that 'my drink stays hot in my flask right to the end of the day' (or words to that effect) with certain brands. I'm not saying this is a misleading statement but I fail to see how this is possible........
Surely, once you remove (say) half of the contents of the flask the remainder automatically MUST start to cool very rapidly as the void is filled with cool air and the area of exposed steel gets cold as well which must have an effect on the remaining drink ??
As I said in my previous post, I take TWO flasks(in winter) knowing, from long experience, that once I'm halfway down the first, the contents, although still drinkable, have certainly dropped in temperature. The second flask, untouched, (even after 5 hours or so) is still as hot (more or less!) once opened and usually gives me enough inner warmth through til the sessions end.....

I also said I heat the flasks prior to filling and only use water in them. I make every effort to get the BOILING water into them without hesitation and get the lids on PDQ!!!

Anyway, I'm aware I might be missing a trick around all of this so if anyone can really state, hand on heart, that they have a flask that really does offer barely sippeable drink after many hours on the bank (IN WINTER) AND from the bottom of the flask I would like to know about it!

ps One has to move with the times but one does not want to waste dosh so if I get a positive replies which don't work I shall be looking for a refund......(add a smilie here!)

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Tee-Cee is quite correct if we are talking precise tempretures but we are really talking about what the drink feels like when you take a sip, and if its too hot to drink then it is HOT :confused:
BUT the liquid cannot be the same temperature as when the flask was first filled if air has replaced any liquid removed.

While doing my research I found a site where all the top brands of flask were tested and the Stanley Work Flask came out on top with a liquid temperature of (from memory) 87C after 8 hours unopened, but I will refind the link and post it for accuracy.

My Stainless Thermos used to keep my coffee hot from 8.30 to around 18.00 in winter, and did so for almost twenty years, with the last cup before I drove home always a little to hot to drink immediately.

The reply from Thermos states they cannot even find my model of flask on their database and want the original receipt and the flask returned before they will go any further :eek:mg: so it looks like they are stalling me and expecting a no-show:cool:

Some hopes grrrrrr :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
No doubt this 'collectors item' will be heading for ebay in the not too distant......I'm just checking with the wife to see if we can put in a bid!

Good post though and it will be interesting to read your, and maybe other, comments.

For my money I think someone could make a bomb with a really revolutionary design that incorporates new technology....that Dyson chappie comes to mind but he'll have to watch his prices. Nothing more than £50 IMHO......................

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an Aladdin Adventurer Stainless flask and I can honestly say that it keeps my coffee piping hot for 8 hours plus...Its fantastic, though the trade off is that it is a little heavy...Definitely no good for my ultralight Backpacking trips!

A

alan whittington

I make up my flask normally at around 5.30-6am,and pack at dark,or just after,i cant say any ss flask doesnt lose warmth in that length of time,unless you dont open it until after midday;),my son usually drinks what ive got left after i get home and has to wait for it to cool(i wouldnt though,old iron guts),out of my old glassun,ive broke one whilst fishing in 40+ years,your just a clumsy lot,lol.

Last edited:

CRAZY CRAB

Reaction score
tesco sometimes do a good flask for around £5/6 a 1Lt job, over the years i have had a number of flask, keep lossing the tops, thermos one costing £25/30, I did a test on them, no real difence in keeping the water hot, just the name, all keeping water hot for around 5/8hrs, the biggiest thing i did find was heating the milk up and adding that to hot water, as i drink coffee all the time,

all flask were unbreakerble ones

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stainless steel one of no particular brand for me and I always take Bovril. No doubt this is well known, but filling the flask with boiling water 2 or 3 minutes before adding your drink is essential to ensure it stays hotter longer.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have a Thermos "The Rock" which is excellent. Best flask I've ever owned by some distance and I've had shedloads. I,too,only ever use it to carry boiling water having first warmed it up. The last cup or so is perfectly drinkable if not piping hot but I dont think the flask exists that will do that.

dankay123

Reaction score
a little trick I was shown years ago is to unscrew the bottom of the flask, use loft insulation around the liner and screw the bottom back on. this will gain you a couple of hours of hot brew on the bank.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
a little trick I was shown years ago is to unscrew the bottom of the flask, use loft insulation around the liner and screw the bottom back on. this will gain you a couple of hours of hot brew on the bank.

That sounds like a plan!