Advice on good thermos flask please.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Certainly sounds a good idea, but (obviously!) it only works if your flask seperates into two sections. Unfortunately my stainless jobbies from J Lewis do not, but if it works as 'dankey 123 suggests then perhaps I need to spend...

My only alternative to this is wrapping the flask in a tea towel or similar once filled and this does help to some degree.

It's my opinion that the contents of a flask are bound to cool quicker (in winter) simply because the outer casing is in contact with cold air even if it sits in a fishing bag. Proof? Well, I think I can safely say that (my) flasks cool much quicker in winter compared to summer and this is why I go for two smaller ones....

It still seems odd to me with all the new technology around plus major scientific advancements in so many fields that keeping a liquid very hot for (say) 10 hours would not present much of a problem. We have 'hand/feet' warmers to help keep the extremities warmer and I'm sure many other examples can be found, so why is it impossible not to have some form of chemical agent encased in a screw-on base to a flask (for example) that could do a similar job?
As you can see I'm pretty good at coming up with a simple solution without having any idea of what i'm talking about!

Perhaps it comes down to cost and the manufactures of flasks are happy with sales, based on the fact that most flasks are emptied, probably, within 3/4 hours of being filled..

.............no doubt I've answered my own question eh?

Ah well,..................

ps When I'm filthy rich I shall have a 'man' come down to my swim to make fresh tea in a pot, 'as and when'.......but in the meantime.....

Last edited:

shelly

Reaction score
Tee cee, the principle of what you mention is out there mate, just needs redesigning into your flask idea, see link- http://www.hotcan.com/how-it-works.html.
By the way the chemical they mention is not limestone as such its calcium oxide, it's produced from limestone by heating up to over 900c.

mick b

Reaction score
My old one, a Stainless 1litre Thermos was purchased in 1994 and apart from an short break has been in use all the time, so it hasn't done bad I reckon!

Here is my latest Flask update.
Sent email to Thermos UK with the full details of my guaranteed for life stainless steel flask.
Received a prompt reply telling me they could not trace my flask in their records :confused:
Sent them two photographs of my flask, one a full shot and the other of the base of the flask with its model number etc. and......wait for it, the date I scratched into the base when it was previously replaced under the lifetime guarantee :eek:

Yesterday received a reply as follows;

Dear Sir,
I would advise you that we have been the distributors of Thermos products for the last ten years only, and this is why we will not hold any details of your previous return. I would also like to advise you that unfortunately this particular model of flask is now discontinued.

Please note that your proof of purchase does form part of the guarantee, therefore to enable me to replace the flask with the most similar model that we currently have available, I would require you to return the flask to me along with your proof of purchase (or the guarantee sheet) to the following address:

Consumer Returns,
BHL Group Ltd
1-2 Lockwood Park
Leeds
LS11 5UX

If the product is returned to us without any form of proof of purchase, I will still replace your flask as a gesture of goodwill with our standard stainless steel model.

Kindest regards,

Angela Gates
Thermos Customer Services
BHL Group Ltd

Oh and the date when my old Thermos flask was replace .... 15-11-91 :eek:mg:
(Thats 1991 not 1994 as first posted, sorry a senior moment)

What about that then??? :D::D:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
That's really good news!

Probably don't realise they are about to be met with a flood of 'returns'.....Must rake out my old receipt..

Hope the new one is 'new' and not 'seconds' dug out from old stock! (add a smilie here!)